Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:53 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,722,919 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a backpack that can be used as a carry on for short flights, but also for road trips and lugging stuff around town. My budget is around $80-120.

The eBags Mother Lode backpack looks like a nice option and is highly recommended, but I think it might be a little big, especially for stowing under an airline seat. It's around 45-50L, right?

Another consideration is the Osprey Farpoint 40. It seems more reasonable in size and I like that it opens up all the way on the front.

I'm a big LL Bean fan, and they seem to have several nice options as well.

What are some more recommended packs in the 40L range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:17 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
The Gypsy

Old 08-26-2016, 04:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,303,741 times
RedOxx Their C-ruck would be perfect, and will probably live longer than you.

Carry-on Rucksack Airborne C-Ruck by Red Oxx Mfg.

The thing with backpacks and some bags, you're better off paying a bit more once, and have it forever vs. $100-ing your self in perpetuity. We got our son a K-12 pack from RedOxx when he started Kindergarten, and now entering third grade, it still looks brand new.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Do you want a maximum sized legal carryon, or a carryon that will fit under an airplane seat? Those are two very different things! And are you flying only in the US, or internationally?

Using the United Airlines size guide, a maximum legal carryon (which will need to go in the overhead bin, and may need to be gate checked on a regional jet) should measure no more than 9 x 14 x 22 inches. An under-the seat bag should measure no more than 9 x 10 x 17 inches. (Allowed dimensions for international carriers may be smaller, and they often add a weight limit as well!).

The Farpoint 40 looks like it will qualify as an under-the-seat bag, provided you don't overstuff it. I have its big brother, the Porter 46, and when it's really full it can bulge a bit in the middle once the compression straps are tightened, making it a bit fatter in the middle; overstuff the Farpoint 40 and it may be too 'bulgy" in the middle to fit well under a seat. If you don't overstuff it, it should be fine, though. And Osprey makes a good bag, and offers a good warranty. It's not a cheaply made bag, and I think you'd like it. (Red Oxx and Tom Bihn also make excellent travel bags, but they may be out of your budget. They will last a lifetime, though!)

Old 08-29-2016, 02:28 PM

983 posts, read 2,775,806 times
I have this one and I love it. It's very well made and a very sturdy material, has lots of compartments and can fit under an airline seat. I think it's a great buy for the quality. As you can see, it also gets great customer reviews.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,180,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I have this one and I love it. It's very well made and a very sturdy material, has lots of compartments and can fit under an airline seat. I think it's a great buy for the quality. As you can see, it also gets great customer reviews.
My wife has one of those and loves it.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,525,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm looking for a backpack that can be used as a carry on for short flights, but also for road trips and lugging stuff around town. My budget is around $80-120.

The eBags Mother Lode backpack looks like a nice option and is highly recommended, but I think it might be a little big, especially for stowing under an airline seat. It's around 45-50L, right?

Another consideration is the Osprey Farpoint 40. It seems more reasonable in size and I like that it opens up all the way on the front.

I'm a big LL Bean fan, and they seem to have several nice options as well.

What are some more recommended packs in the 40L range?
Are you looking for a bag that can carry a load & distribute weight to your hips? If so, go to an outdoor store (REI/alternatives) and try some bags on. Comfort & fit to your body type varies.

If you are looking for a bag that's going to carry more than minimal weight, then I would suggest one with hip & chest straps, like the Osprey (as opposed to the eBags). You might also look at the Gregory Stout 35/45, or offerings from Arc'teryx & other outdoor-focused brands.

I agree with posters who suggest getting a quality bag rather than spending as little as possible. You will get better comfort and longer life from a good quality bag.

I have a Deuter Airlite 22L for a travel/hiking backback. It is small enough to stow under a seat, but large enough to carry a laptop, headphones, a neck pillow, a book, and a camera bag. I think 40L is too big for under seat stowing, but good for overhead bins.

An advantage of outdoor bags is that they are durable and comfortable--and usually available in black to be less conspicuous while carrying around town.

I think a problem you will encounter is that a 40L back is too large for a 2nd carry-on and for a typical around town bag, but is a reasonable size for a road trip bag. You might be able to use a 30L for a 2nd carry-on, and you might find that size to be a happy medium for your intended uses.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:49 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,722,919 times
Thanks for the responses. Here's my plan.

I'm going to Paris in a few months and will be staying with a friend for about two weeks. For another two weeks, I'll be taking a train to various places in Europe. I am going to leave my larger suitcase with the friend, and was just going to take a backpack during my train trips.

Having something that's carry-on friendly would be best. I guess it doesn't necessarily need to fit under the seat. However, it would need to fit clothes for 5 days or so.

The backpack would be left at home most of the time. I'd probably only wear it to/from the train station, on the train. But there are times where I might be wearing it for an hour or more.

I went to REI and they sold the Porter 46, the Farpoint 55, Ozone 35, and Ozone 46. I almost bought the Ozone because they were on sale, but I dislike how it opens up like a regular backpack. I prefer the full opening style of the Farpoint and the Porter. The Farpoint 55 was too tall for carry on (actually, I liked this bag the most because it included a day pack). The Porter 46 was nice, but the straps were not as comfortable as the Farpoint.

I wish they had a Farpoint 55, but a model that wasn't quite as tall. The day pack would be awesome to carry around for souvenirs, water, etc.

I'm thinking that I'll buy a Farpoint 40 and possibly a day pack (which would also count as a personal item on airlines).

Old 09-05-2016, 12:20 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
The Farpoint 40 plus a small daypack sounds like a very reasonable travel combination, OP. Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,055,047 times
I love backpacks for travel. I tend to just carry mine all the time and I just pack and unpack accordingly because it just takes a minute. I like the one you linked but unless you are carrying a laptop, there may be better ways to us the space. My goto pack is a Swiss Army(Victorinox). Very lightweight empty, but it carries a lot and has held up for years.

I like being able to wear my pack backwards if necessary so the zippers are not easily accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel