Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,195,974 times

Advertisements

Isn't broadening your horizons, changing you as a person?

It baffles me why so may people have no interest/desire to leave their comfort zone and travel.

Life in a bubble is very boring. I think it's crucial that one travels.

It's important to understand/experience cultures that aren't your own.

Travel should be mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,992,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post

Travel should be mandatory.
Yup, by all means, let's tell people how they should be spending their leisure time and money.

Because, you know, individuals become so much better people the more they travel.

/sarcasm

Seriously, do what you want to do and let others do the same. And really, ENOUGH with the freaking judgments about people who have not or do not want to travel.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:51 PM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the places i have traveled to have always been in direct relation to my spiritual state: from when I first started traveling it was beauty of nature (Canadian Rockies), then "New Age" (Peru), then shamanic (Scotland), to where i am now religious (Ukraine, Israel).

Nowadays all travel is related to sites related to my religion.
Wow, you change religions that often?

It must be fascinating to live that way.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:20 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Travel can make you a more interesting person, for sure, but to think it really changes one much is just not really the case. Yes, it will make one more aware of different cultures. It should open ones eyes to the world outside their comfort zone, but it is still more for exposure and experience, than anyone expecting to be changed just because they spent a few days or weeks somewhere or travel every year for that matter

Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,722,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Exactly.

And it's unrealistic for most adults to learn a new foreign language.

However, why don't people try countries where there's practically no language barrier? Canada, Australia, New Zealand and UK are all good destinations.
Because they're not foreign enough for the 'travelers', don't you know?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,293,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How are you different today because of your past travel experiences? Did it change the way you think, speak, dress, eat, etc.?

How would you be different today if you had not done much traveling?
I'm on the extreme end of the spectrum in this, I think. I went to school in Indiana, graduated in 1969, and joined the USN fourteen hours later. Over the next twenty years I was in 72 countries long enough to stay over night, and and "passed through" several others. I met all kinds of people, from avid pro-Americans to people I thought would shoot me if they knew I was from the US. All that travel gave me a great appreciation for "likes" and "differences" around the globe.

One pro tip: If you want to travel, be ready to experiment with new foods. Don't be the embarrassing American who only eats at McD's even when he's in Wan Chai.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
Only if you stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 AM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
One pro tip: If you want to travel, be ready to experiment with new foods. Don't be the embarrassing American who only eats at McD's even when he's in Wan Chai.
Oh yeah, I only eat at local, non-chain places. Home-cooked food is even better.

If you don't at least do that, then what's the point?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:19 AM

6,304 posts, read 8,992,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

If you don't at least do that, then what's the point?
As has been stated, people travel for many reasons- "experiencing local culture" through food is just one of many.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 AM

733 posts, read 601,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Because they're not foreign enough for the 'travelers', don't you know?
I think the U.K is as foreign as any other European country, except for the language.
//www.city-data.com/forum/unite...st-europe.html
This has been discussed on C-D a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel