Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:48 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Woa! I was expecting 70 the way you wrote your post. I did my best travelling in my 30s, stop being silly.
I was expecting around mid-80's.

I did my best traveling in my 50's. Still going strong--travel drive still working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 03:01 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Completely agree. I'm 26 and have been all over the world. And there's only so much longer I can travel the way I do...I'm not talking about staying in hotel, doing tours, etc. So I take full advantage of it.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:03 PM

679 posts, read 812,531 times
I travel as much as I can for leisure. For business, I limit travel.

I can still drive 12 hours or more in a day and will if I can get to where I am going in a day instead of flying. I hate being crammed in a plane even for a couple of hours.

In October, I am going on another road trip through Colorado, New Mexico and Utah ending up at Lake Powell for a few days on a houseboat. Powell is about a 10 hr drive from my house, so lots of miles to cover. Its exciting hitting the open road and I don't see myself ever giving that up.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:05 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I did most of my world travels before I was 40 but have slowed down a bit now - not because of lack of funds, but because I hate leaving my 2 dogs behind I just got back from 2 weeks in southern Italy and will be taking off again in September for China. I think that'll be "it" for 2016.
I can only speak to my person experience.. My brother..Prior to attending University did he World travel ( back in the early '60's)..but after marriage ( brother was late '20's and SIL was just about 1 year older than myself...They had a family..raised them..made sure they were self sufficient..then DID their thing..

What happened..Post Kids..Those 2 travelled the World....and posted their adventures..Winters were spent in Mexico up to the limit allowed ..and owned property..had locals maintain and secure it while back in Canada..

Since my SIL passed about 2 years ago..only thing that really changed was to continue their legacy in Mexico..unload their large property in Winnipeg Manitoba..and move to more appropriate living location..

While I agree..do your travelling as a young person..may be a good suggestion ALL depends on affordability at that time since Huge Education $ owed in USA..no so in Canada. Job and income tells us..what we can afford..and sometimes..put off that travel until you KNOW all is consolidated and you and your partner in life on same page to Travel..buy properties..sell off properties..or given Health issues..( Canada HC System does NOT bankrupt anybody/again differ from US Counterparts)..travel is something Both want to do..or IF Widowed/Widower..actually Wants and has the ENERGY to travel...

Travel is truly something personal..as many love what they do..where they live..have responsibility or ties that make travel impossible..Personally I travelled very little..tho did some..BUT it wasn't my priority nor had the ability to do so..

Good topic OP..Many really do not consider why some Travel and some don't//The Sibling factor for myself just shows you..not ALL within families have the SAME aim..

Looking back NOW.. I do wish I had more travelling..BUT given advances of internet now..Much can be learned..unlike when I grew up ( NO Cyberspace/Internet available)..So I can still experience various cultures online that was Never available in the "Old Days" LOL

Happy Travels to those have $$ time to do so...So we will live thru your experiences

Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Travel while you're middle aged and old as well. Any time is good for traveling while the funds allow it.
It isn't just the funds. Its the energy and ability. I agree to do it at every opportunity while you are young if you like to travel. Don't put it off.

Oh my. Just saw that the OP is "almost" 30

Old 07-07-2016, 03:15 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
I'm sure I mentioned this before, but my 98 year old godmother/aunt belongs to an Elder Hostel and she travels constantly and hasn't slowed down yet. I don't think age matters if you have a love of travel and are able to get around. This month they are in Japan, learning how to grow real bonsai trees (She says its pronounced "bone-sy" not "bon-sy"). She travels every six weeks or so. She still wears high heels and walks faster than I do! (I'm 42).

Old 07-07-2016, 03:26 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'm sure I mentioned this before, but my 98 year old godmother/aunt belongs to an Elder Hostel and she travels constantly and hasn't slowed down yet. I don't think age matters if you have a love of travel and are able to get around. This month they are in Japan, learning how to grow real bonsai trees (She says its pronounced "bone-sy" not "bon-sy"). She travels every six weeks or so. She still wears high heels and walks faster than I do! (I'm 42).
Congrats for having a STILL active Elder in your FAMILY!! I say this because not ALL are so Blessed....Im a few years shy of '70..and my 45 year career took it's toll physically..dislocated hip..crushed foot..shoulder issues..and Shift work..bringing up kids without support....

I do have memories of my Grandma..She too was a go getter..walked like a soldier..much faster than me ( as a kid 10-11)) ..I asked her>Why walk so Fast...She said..Because I'm on my way to a destination...I said> I want to take in what I see and experience things...LOL..

She did sit down with me..and apologised..as she forgot that young people NEED to LEARN.. Boy..She was wise and recognized..when she error'd ..and explained why..She had been there done that..and FORGOT I needed to LEARN...Great lesson!! Loved that Lady

Old 07-07-2016, 03:29 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Although I agree it's great to travel a lot when one is young, I have to disagree overall with the OP's reasoning. 30 is nowhere near too old to travel unless there are other health issues to consider.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
My grandparents were world travellers. When I was in my early 20's ( I had travelled in Canada and the US only ) my grandmother told me to do more travelling NOW.

It's not that you won't travel when you are older, she said, it's just that Paris in your 20's, won't be the same Paris as in your 50's etc.

She was so right. I went to Europe in my 20's. HAD A FABULOUS TIME! I still go, and still have a fabulous time, it's just a different type of enjoyment. Fancier dinners, and nicer hotels. However, I still look upon the younger ones travelling, with a bit of nostalgia. Faster friendships are made when you are young.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:03 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
"If you can afford it"
Welp, I'm out. At least for major trips. I can (and do) some smaller domestic travelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel