Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:30 AM

733 posts, read 602,784 times

Advertisements

I do recognize that some people hate travel, I'm talking to travel lovers.

When I was young, I could drive more than 8 hours a day and hike for hours the next day after arriving the destination. Even better, I could sleep like a baby on a less comfortable bed. I did a few road trips, from Texas to California and from California to Seattle. I even drove from Texas to Ohio to meet my then girlfriend, it was kind of boring but the BBQ in Memphis wasn't bad(not as good as Texas BBQ though). Just like other travels, road trips don't change your life(unless you are involved in an accident), but they are fun things to do.

Now I'm much older and I can't even do long drives anymore. I can't drive too long, I can't fly too long, I can't stay in rustic motels. I can still travel but my options are way more limited.

Due to some practical reasons(time, money), many people plan to travel only after retirement. I can understand that. But many trips are best to take when you are younger. Can you imagine a 40 years old virgin guy starting having sex after 40? Okay, you are more matured and stable when you are old, but you don't have much sex drive left. The same applies to travel.

Last edited by Bayesian; 07-07-2016 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
That's a great point! I drove all over the country when I was in my 20s and flew all over it when I was in my 30s and had a better job. These days I'm doing well to get one state over for a shopping trip.

It also helps to have done that as you near retirement so you can look back and think about the places you liked and the places you'd never live in. Yes, areas do change, but if you learned that you couldn't stand high heat and humidity, you already know that a place like Florida is not for you and don't have to waste money going there and checking it out.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
That's a great point! I drove all over the country when I was in my 20s and flew all over it when I was in my 30s and had a better job. These days I'm doing well to get one state over for a shopping trip.

It also helps to have done that as you near retirement so you can look back and think about the places you liked and the places you'd never live in. Yes, areas do change, but if you learned that you couldn't stand high heat and humidity, you already know that a place like Florida is not for you and don't have to waste money going there and checking it out.
Florida is okay for me, the only place I truly dislike is Vegas.

The other thing I love about trips made in my 20s is the memory with friends and family. Many cities don't change much, but people do. I had a memorable spring break trip to San Antonio in college with a bunch of friends. San Antonio hasn't changed much and I can re-visit it if I wish, but I won't have the same experience ever.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Travel while you're middle aged and old as well. Any time is good for traveling while the funds allow it.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:43 PM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Travel while you're middle aged and old as well. Any time is good for traveling while the funds allow it.
I did most of my world travels before I was 40 but have slowed down a bit now - not because of lack of funds, but because I hate leaving my 2 dogs behind I just got back from 2 weeks in southern Italy and will be taking off again in September for China. I think that'll be "it" for 2016.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:58 PM

263 posts, read 230,659 times
May I ask how old you are, for perspective's sake?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
May I ask how old you are, for perspective's sake?
I will turn 30 in less than a year.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I did most of my world travels before I was 40 but have slowed down a bit now - not because of lack of funds, but because I hate leaving my 2 dogs behind I just got back from 2 weeks in southern Italy and will be taking off again in September for China. I think that'll be "it" for 2016.

If you have young kids, travel will be even harder.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:04 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I will turn 30 in less than a year.
Woa! I was expecting 70 the way you wrote your post. I did my best travelling in my 30s, stop being silly.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Woa! I was expecting 70 the way you wrote your post.
Seriously, this is ridiculous. I'm 42 and I hope to be one of those people who travel in retirement age. But who knows, maybe even then I won't have the financial means to travel to all the places I'd like to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel