Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:49 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I left in 2000 at age 20, returned at the end of 2015 at 35. I spent the past year making plans about what to do next (and those plans will finally get off the ground in a few weeks).

Why is the "developed country" distinction so important?

In the past 7 years (in particular, but it's more like a culmination of all the years overseas), I felt like I stopped acting like a bumbling tourist who needed help and directions every 5 minutes, and the consequence is somewhat forgetting or losing touch with American habits and lifestyles.

Being out of the US, and not following the everyday behavior of Americans and developments in the country, is disorienting. When I meet someone and they act polite, there's no problem. But I'm thinking of examples of when I met Americans in Japan, and Americans since I've returned to the country. They haven't acted polite, and I'm not sure how to rationalize it as well as I used to 10 or so years ago. 10 years ago, I could guess that a rude American is stuck-up, or shy, arrogant etc. Some behavior I've seen lately, I don't get it or how to rationalize it.

Also, I don't understand some of the politics that I guess has become more prominent in recent years, which could be a problem when I meet someone who is opinionated... depending on how many out there are opinionated. My idea of racial and I guess gender politics, seems different than the politics that people are protesting against, to the point of resorting to violence. If there's people out there who are that passionate about certain issues, is that an issue worth paying aattention to, in the interest of my own well-being and happiness?

In Japan, I could walk on a dark street at 2am to the store, but I know it isn't very wise do that in the US. That's an example of cultural awareness for my safety and well-being.

And I have tried to limit exposure to the media (I only read news in text/print, instead of watching TV news). Maybe I'm over-thinking things, but that's a symptom of being out of a particular society for so long.
OP, I mentioned the distinction of developed countries because originally I thought you were having issues with technologies or standard of living and such.

You mentioned Japan, which is a country that can't be compared to US (or even other developed countries for that matter), simply because their culture is vastly different. They are much, much, less diverse than the US (the less diverse the less frictions because you have less difference in culture, habits, religion, etc among the citizens). Law and order, along with personal responsibility are not only valued highly but expected among everyone. If you think the cops here act like God, the Japanese treat their cops like God and nobody will dare try to dispute a cop there, right or wrong. So they have low crime rates compared to other developed countries and you can walk the street at 2am and feel safe. FWIW, you can't walk on the streets of London or Rome either without having to take some real risks. While we're talking about Japan, I find it ironic that you use it as an example when Japan is one of the least welcoming countries to immigrants and foreigners. They will be polite to you, but if you're not pure Japanese, you will always be a Gai Jin to them. While US, Canada, and other European countries have been welcoming immigrants from all over the world for years.

I think you should move this conversation to politics forum as I don't think your question is travel related. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:04 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
I've been out of the USA, where I was born and raised, for 15 years. I've returned and I'm planning to start over, but there's so much that I don't recognize or understand-- from the way people act, to what's available in stores, and other things. I've followed current events over the years as much as I could, but it's not the same as walking among people as they change over the years.

What's worse, is my relatives don't understand what I'm going through. I'm American and this is America, so I should completely understand how much the country's changed since 1999, right?

This is slightly related to the events in Dallas, but only slightly, and part of the bigger personal problem that I'm trying to fix. What helped you play "catch-up" and make this "foreign country" home again?
What adjustments need to made exactly? I'm not seeing how this is an issue.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:30 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Just adjusting to day-to-day living. Random examples:
I didn't realize there's armed military patrolling New York City, and I don't know where else in the country that takes place, or how to act around them.
I'm not sure which bank to use, since apparently there are problems accepting wire transfers to my existing bank.
I'm not sure which cellphone carrier to use, in terms of reception/price/data plans. The same for home Internet, because I don't think there are unlimited data plans in the US.
I don't like the frustratingly long security lines at airports in the US, and I'd to know the best way to avoid them (even if it means not flying).
I see people use smartphone cameras around me without consenting.
When I act polite, I don't get the response I'm used to getting, especially at restaurants and airports and other service places.
And I do feel like my understanding of social politics are out of date-- I grew up to be friendly and accepting toward all walks of life, but it almost feels like that isn't good enough.

It is an issue, and I just have some general learning to do. I think made this topic in the wrong place.

Last edited by nc17; 07-12-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 08:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
I didn't realize there's armed military patrolling New York City, and I don't know where else in the country that takes place, or how to act around them.
I'm not sure which bank to use, since apparently there are problems accepting wire transfers to my existing bank.
I'm not sure which cellphone carrier to use, in terms of reception/price/data plans. The same for home Internet, because I don't think there are unlimited data plans in the US.
I don't like the frustratingly long security lines at airports in the US, and I'd to know the best way to avoid them (even if it means not flying).
When I act polite, I don't get the response I'm used to getting, especially at restaurants and airports and other service places.
And I do feel like my understanding of social politics are out of date-- I grew up to be friendly and accepting toward all walks of life, but it almost feels like that isn't good enough.

It is an issue, and I just have some general learning to do. I think made this topic in the wrong place.
Where have you been living that you've been this out of touch?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Military patroling NYC? What a load of crap!
Unlimited data plan? I have it through AT&T.
Using smartphones camera around you without consenting? Why would anyone need a consent for using their own camera?
Trouble with wire transfers at your bank? Get a new bank. Millions of people move money in and out of their accounts everyday in the US with no problem.
Your surprise at frustratingly long security lines at the airport? Now I seriously doubt your claim about traveling at all, let alone your claim about repatriation.

If you have something to say politically, then come out and say it. Don't be passive aggressive, it's unbecoming.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Where have you been living that you've been this out of touch?
Not out of touch. The OP apparently wanted to have a discussion regarding the sorry state of our country, which is his right to do so. But he did it in a roundabout and insincere way, then post it on the wrong forum, probably on purpose, to draw attention.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Military patroling NYC? What a load of crap!
Unlimited data plan? I have it through AT&T.
Using smartphones camera around you without consenting? Why would anyone need a consent for using their own camera?
Trouble with wire transfers at your bank? Get a new bank. Millions of people move money in and out of their accounts everyday in the US with no problem.
Your surprise at frustratingly long security lines at the airport? Now I seriously doubt your claim about traveling at all, let alone your claim about repatriation.

If you have something to say politically, then come out and say it. Don't be passive aggressive, it's unbecoming.
You clearly don't know what I'm talking about. I saw it with my eyes last year (but I didn't see passerby alarmed by it)
I'm not sure-- I know what I saw, that's 1000% sure. But like I said, I didn't know how to rationalize it.
"Get a new bank." Examples? Recommendations?
You've never been to an airport outside of the US. How do I know? Because I have, for almost half of my life and almost my entire adult life (especially after 2001).

This is real life for me, and doubting my story somehow isn't helping. You're free to think anything you'd like. If you're skeptical, be courteous and just get out. Okay?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 PM

733 posts, read 603,149 times
I'd recommend T mobile unlimited prepaid plan. You'll decide later if you really want two years contract, which is a huge commitment for you.

You can't go wrong with BOA, Citi, Chase and Wells Fargo. I can't understand why it's a difficult decision. Citi has been around for 200 years, nothing has changed in consumer banking.

Do you speak Japanese? Japan is a much better place to live.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:28 PM

I keep hearing Chase a lot, so I guess I'll apply for them. Is that unlimited plan from T-Mobile without throttle? In Japan, my phone WAS my Internet. I tethered it to my laptop and paid a flat rate every month-- no Internet installed in the last two places I lived. I heard in the US that there's penalties of some kind for tethering?

For Japanese, I guess I'm fluent reader. I can read articles about most subjects without always running for a dictionary. I can speak/write/listen, but you'll never mistake me for a native. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back there, so it would be nice if I can use that skill in the US somehow?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:12 AM

733 posts, read 603,149 times
Unfortunately, it will slow down after 2G or something, I don't remember. The throttle varies in different plans. To make matters worse, Internet speed is generally slower unless you live in a city where Google Fiber is available. Just read the fine print before making any long-term commitment such as 2-year phone contract, 2-year cable contract, things like that.

I'm afraid your Japanese skill is useless in most corporations. But it's really a hit or miss, it's also hard to find someone who speaks decent Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel