Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I personally am not a fan of Singapore. Don't get me wrong, they're clean, safe, orderly, easy to navigate, etc. But it's much too sterile for my taste.
I agree. In Singapore even parts of Chinatown seem somewhat sterile.

Little India is the best area to get the more authentic sights/smells/behavior, and has a nice bonus in the most affordable lodging in Singapore as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 10:13 AM

417 posts, read 445,137 times
My personal favorites are:
1. Bangkok
2. Kathmandu
3. Kuala Lumpur

Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 PM

15 posts, read 14,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Visited:
1.Tokyo
2.Bangkok
3.Patong
4.Chiang Mai
5.Singapore
6.Kuala Lumpur

---------------------------

Want to visit:
1.Osaka/Kyoto
3.Seoul/Hong Kong
5.Manila
6.Saigon
When you do visit Manila, just please make sure to really get through the whole city, if no one has mentioned it yet. I know a lot of tourists bump into the not-so-nice parts and end up thinking of Manila as a total dump with no "nice areas" when in fact, there are lots of nice areas that a lot of people just miss.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Default Cities in Asia

What is your favorite in Asia? I've never been and I'm planning to go someday.

I like cities more than rural areas. But with lots of greenery and city parks near the town center, or at least within the city limits.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Loved Bangkok. So much to do and see and eat. Beijing was cool to visit but so so so crowded.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:38 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Hanoi. Cool mix of old and new cultures, old and new architecture, strong French influence, and a surprising amount of green space.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:40 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
If you have the cash, it's hard to top Singapore. Jakarta's traffic is insane, Beijing and Shanghai smog, Bangkok is good, better than Manila, which has some good parts. KL is sort of boring. Delhi, crowded, and smog

I'm just covering off where I've been, but there's lots of great places.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:04 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
For lots of greenery, Singapore

For lots of interesting things to do, Tokyo

Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
For lots of greenery, Singapore

For lots of interesting things to do, Tokyo
Singapore is also a very good (accessible / safe / friendly / retreat) hub / gateway for other travel, but not the cheapest hub (for lodging or airfare).

The Orchid Gardens ($2) and World Heritage Site Singapore Botanical Gardens (Free) were splendid last week, as usual.
https://www.nparks.gov.sg/sbg
(not highly touted and commercialized Gardens by the Bay...OK, and improving... give them 10 more yrs...)

There are many places to 'retreat' in Singapore if you stay away from commercial centers, cuz EVERYONE is Shopping...!!! Affordable, accessible, and safe / regulated taxi and MRT can get you nearly everywhere, but it still can take an hour to go the distance of the island (26 miles...)

Food... Singapore has LOTS of affordable options if you stay out of tourist spots (i.e. go to East Coast food village @ Lagoon (local) rather than East Coast Food Centre (5 minutes away = EXPENSIVE and Tourist). China Town has great food courts, just around the corner from the commercial restaurants. (check level 2 of the parking structures for food courts)

Singapore PR's flee to Penang, Bangkok, Indonesia for great food ($49 one hr flight (on Weekends)).

Vietnam / Cambodia is 1.3 hrs from SIN by air

Japan is very unique for culture, and again, I really enjoy and prefer the rural areas, especially for staying with / among locals. Food is OK, but a slight disappointment in Japan. (but I like soups (good thing if in Japan, Nordic, or Iceland))

Asia is rich in seafood and fruits, but I really miss a readily available variety of fresh veggies.

Local 'fresh' markets (open a few hours / day) are pretty interesting places to learn about the cultures and habits, as our town squares on Sunday afternoons (as is worldwide excluding USA (commercial vs social focus in USA parks and squares))

Old 05-30-2018, 09:32 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,573 times
All of the Asian cities will be interesting if you've never been. My favorite is Bangkok but of course it's a matter of taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel