Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:08 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

I have been to Europe four times in the past; my husband has been three times. I absolutely love it and could happily go back every year for the rest of my life. My favorite cities (in no particular order) are:

Venice, Italy
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Monte Carlo, Monaco

The reason I like these particular cities is that they are each completely unique, picturesque and charming, and not so large that I feel as if I can't even scratch the surface with a visit or two or three days.

I would like my next trip to Europe to include these four cities but also a couple of places I haven't been to before. Based on which cities are my favorites and why I like them so much, can anyone suggest any other must-see places? Please no huge cities like London, Rome or Berlin.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-04-2016 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 10:00 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Bruges, Belgium - very compact and gorgeous.
Prague, Czech Republic - great medieval architecture.
Vienna, Austria - a larger city overall, but the central core (where most of the sights are) is compact. Lots of great food and plenty of culture in addition to fantastic architecture.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:04 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
If you like Monaco, consider Majorca. And maybe Naples.

Though not my personal favorites, I'd also add that Edinburgh, Scotland and Barcelona might fit nicely in your list.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:09 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Bruges, Belgium - very compact and gorgeous.
Prague, Czech Republic - great medieval architecture.
Prague was already in the back of my mind! And I've never even thought about Bruges! I'll have to do some research into it!

Quote:
Vienna, Austria - a larger city overall, but the central core (where most of the sights are) is compact. Lots of great food and plenty of culture in addition to fantastic architecture.
Yeah, I've been to Vienna. It was nice, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you like Monaco, consider Majorca. And maybe Naples.
Majorca? Wow, that's another one that's never even crossed my mind. I'll have to look into it. As for Naples, I've heard it's terribly dirty. Of course, I've heard that about Venice, too, and Venice is my favorite city in the world! Would a few other people mind weighing in on Naples, please?

Quote:
Though not my personal favorites, I'd also add that Edinburgh, Scotland and Barcelona might fit nicely in your list.
We've been to both of these quite recently. I wasn't as impressed by Edinburgh as I thought I'd be, and while I loved Barcelona, it was primarily because of the Sagrada Familia.

Thank you both so much!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 AM

733 posts, read 603,329 times
Have you heard of the Isle of Man? Probably not if you are not into TT race.

It's not a must-see place but very relaxing and picturesque.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Have you heard of the Isle of Man? Probably not if you are not into TT race.

It's not a must-see place but very relaxing and picturesque.
BTDT (I was a professional TT racer...40+ yrs ago )

I would add Switzerland, and mtns of Italy but I don't do cities.

Get the Amsterdam pass (400 locations in The Netherlands) and add The Hague and Haarlem to your list while there. Do a canal trip (week or so). Maastricht is certainly a nice NT city enroute to Croatia. Plan visit when Andre Rieu is doing his annual hometown street concerts there

For other cities within your loop....Nuremberg, Salsburg, Prague and Budapest.
We did a lot of Ryanair hops, very ez, very basic, very cheap. No problems. Pay for Buisiness fare ~€30;instead of €12, if you have luggage, or may need to change route.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 AM

733 posts, read 603,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTDT (I was a professional TT racer...40+ yrs ago )

I would add Switzerland, and mtns of Italy but I don't do cities.

Get the Amsterdam pass (400 locations in The Netherlands) and add The Hague and Haarlem to your list while there. Do a canal trip (week or so). Maastricht is certainly a nice NT city enroute to Croatia. Plan visit when Andre Rieu is doing his annual hometown street concerts there

For other cities within your loop....Nuremberg, Salsburg, Prague and Budapest.
We did a lot of Ryanair hops, very ez, very basic, very cheap. No problems. Pay for Buisiness fare ~€30;instead of €12, if you have luggage, or may need to change route.
Awesome! I can't imagine what it's like to be a professional TT racer.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,933,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have been to Europe four times in the past; my husband has been three times. I absolutely love it and could happily go back every year for the rest of my life. My favorite cities (in no particular order) are:

Venice, Italy
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Monte Carlo, Monaco

The reason I like these particular cities is that they are each completely unique, picturesque and charming, and not so large that I feel as if I can't even scratch the surface with a visit or two or three days.

I would like my next trip to Europe to include these four cities but also a couple of places I haven't been to before. Based on which cities are my favorites and why I like them so much, can anyone suggest any other must-see places? Please no huge cities like London, Rome or Berlin.
In that region of Europe how about Budapest or Munich? Both are great but between the two I'd pick Budapest first.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:58 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Budapest is a good suggestion.

I loved Madrid - not for the city on its own ( that is great too) but the wonderful little towns less than a couple of hours away from it - Segovia, Avila, El Escorial, Toledo, Cuenca and so on.

Seville and Cordoba in Andalusia region are great too.

Al these depends on what your interests are.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:22 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
Given the likes and dislikes you expressed, I came here to recommend Prague for you. I'd also consider Kraków, Poland.

I disagree strongly with recommending Budapest for you - too big and dirty and not at all quaint or gentle. I adored Vienna and loved Budapest even more.

Did not especially enjoy the experience in Venice or Prague. Kraków was great - for me mostly because of sites associated with WWII - but the town squares and parks and castle and people all were lovely and might be right up your alley.

Do me a favor and check out your old thread about birthday while in London - I'm going for my bday in August and would love your insights even though we seem to have different likes/dislikes when it comes to city travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel