Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 03:55 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times

Advertisements

Need to activate a US (Verizon) Iphone for 100 days in London starting Sept 7. After trying 3 different carriers online to set this up ahead of time, apparently they will not ship a SIM outside the UK, and will not accept a US credit card for billing.

So does this mean we need to wait til we get there, go to a store/kiosk, and will they then provide a SIM, and accept a US card for billing (in person) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 04:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If you have an unlocked phone that accepts a SIM, u can buy pre-paid SIM when you get there. (Airport kiosk, or a grocery or phone store). There are 30 and 60 day plans. but you can 'top-off' at grocery store (using USA credit card)

IIRC 'Three' is the preferred carrier. Vodaphone and Lebara were both terrible for data / connectivity outside the UK cities. (I just spent 3 months in various UK locations, but very little time spent in cities)

Old 08-10-2016, 08:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Does Verizon not have an international plan?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:05 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Yes, but so far in our research it is too expensive for the amount of data the 20 year old granddaughter uses !

Old 08-12-2016, 08:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I'd ask them about the plan. Sprint gives unlimited texts and data with ours. She can also use local wifi rather than phone wifi to avoid the costs some.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I'd ask them about the plan. Sprint gives unlimited texts and data with ours. She can also use local wifi rather than phone wifi to avoid the costs some.
While I would agree into looking for a US company with an international roaming plan, it may be better to rely of that for a shorter trip. First of all the data provided in slower than what you are probably used to at home, also some areas have better reception than others so there may be times that service is poor. Finally calls aren't included in those plans, and for someone planning on spending over 3 months in an area they are more likely going to be making calls in that time so a 20 cent a minute fee will add up quickly

Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I paid 10 GBP for 30 days SIM card in UK.i use free Wifi for everything else.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Default //pics3.city-data.com/images/cdfh.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Yes, but so far in our research it is too expensive for the amount of data the 20 year old granddaughter uses !
Then should switch companies. No reason to stick with a company that is not providing the service you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
While I would agree into looking for a US company with an international roaming plan, it may be better to rely of that for a shorter trip.
Three months is not long, and it does not matter if it is three months or three years.

Quote:
First of all the data provided in slower than what you are probably used to at home,
The data speed will be the same regardless if you use a local phone or your US carrier. In the UK, the speed is just fine for everything but gaming.

Quote:
also some areas have better reception than others so there may be times that service is poor.
Again, the reception will be the same even if you use a local carrier. You will not get magic cell towers that appear because you are using a local carrier.

Quote:
Finally calls aren't included in those plans, and for someone planning on spending over 3 months in an area they are more likely going to be making calls in that time so a 20 cent a minute fee will add up quickly
You make calls using the data plan, like Skype and Viber.

I know these things because I travel frequently outside of the US and use to live outside the US for a few years. Back in the day, the "get a local SIM" phone was standard, but that is outdated with the great deals US based carriers have on international plans. Free unlimited data is the key, there are call services that use just the data.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Careful on changing plans, many new plans are more expensive and have data caps.

depends on your normal use / needs, and your existing carrier. Since I am always rural in USA and abroad, if I changed USA carriers to get international data, I would be hosed at my rural USA sites. Most USA carriers don't have coverage at my home sites. If they get coverage via roaming, they drop calls and data often. I daily am on, and host international conference calls with up to 40 attendees. Not very productive to get dropped cals when hosting.

YCMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel