Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:25 AM

110 posts, read 110,198 times

Advertisements

You are dressed fine and really shouldn't have any problems. I've worn a hoodie before, sometimes they make you take it off and sometimes they just pat the hoodie down after you go through the body scan. I have found that to be really airport specific as there doesn't seem to be a "universal rule" about it.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:42 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Don't carry too much in your pockets, because shorts/pants pockets have to be emptied. If you're pulling out keys, coins, tissues, cellphone, to put in the tray that goes through the scanner you're only going to have to faff around once you're through, collecting them all up again. If you have a wallet, put your keys in that, or in your backpack.
This. Please, everyone, I BEG ... empty your pockets before you get into the security line or while you're waiting in line. Put the contents of your pockets into one of the zipper pouches on your carry on. Or carry an empty ziploc bag. Don't wait until you get to the conveyor to empty your pockets. People like to blame delays on TSA, but frankly if passengers were more efficient, we'd all get through a lot faster.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:44 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP Plumbing View Post
ok. and I'll just have to remove my belt right? and a sweater if I put it on?
Correct. If your shorts will stay up for a short time without your belt, take it off while you're in line and put it in your bag. It's one less thing to mess with at the front of the line. Then when you collect your bag at the end of the conveyor, gather everything up and move to the nearby benches to put your belt back on. Don't do it at the end of the conveyor.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Talk about overthinking things...

Old 08-12-2016, 06:57 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
well I was told to wear easy clothes to get through security...nothing bulky
Not really. Wear what you'd wear otherwise.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:15 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You are going to have to take your shoes off and walk through the scanner without shoes. Considering that probably millions of people walk through those lines, without their shoes and some of them aren't very clean, I would prefer to not have my bare feet on the floor where their unshod feet have been. Thus, I suggest that you wear some socks. Take the socks off and throw them into the trash after you go through security, if you don't want to wear socks while you travel.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Quote:
ok, I'm flying to Los Angeles in a few days, and I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips so I can breeze through security hassle free. My friend told me to 'dress appropriately' for security, but didn't really elaborate, so I dunno what she meant. here's the exact outfit I planned to wear to the airport (yeah, I plan my outfits...only for stuff like this though)

I know I have to take off my belt. I was told not to wear a hat. can I put my laptop in my backpack or is it better if it goes in my suitcase? I'm probably making a much bigger deal out of this than I need to...

anyway, thanks!
Like others have said, you want to dress so that you can move through security quickly and lessen the chance that you set off the scanner. Things like belts, lace up shoes, and metallic jewelry slow up the process because of the time needed to take these items off and put them back on, the putting back on process is probably where most of the time is wasted. In addition, if you forget to take something off you are more likely to be taken aside for a pat down or possibly sent back through the remove whatever may be causing the machine to go off and go back through. Although in grand scheme of things it only takes a couple of minutes but in that time several people could have gone through security but they are now delayed.

You goal should be to walk up to the belt, grab at most two bins (one for your laptop and one for your carry on bag if it is on the softer side and/or small items) You should have everything like your ticket, cell phone, keys, etc inside of your carry on if possible, and I would also throw my shoes into the second bin. When you go through the machine you just need to put your laptop back in the bag and grab your shoes and go. The people causing the delays are the ones that have to consolidate 3 or more bins, and practically repack their carry on, or they are spending time putting back on jewelry and belts, or they are waiting for the small item tray that is now behind someone else's items because they forgot about them the first time through.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:59 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
well I was told to wear easy clothes to get through security...nothing bulky
Stay away from clothes that have metal. Normal jeans with the rivets aren't normally a problem, but I could see if you were wearing cargo pants with 50 zippers on them.. That might set some things off.

I've never had a problem wearing a hat through security.

Don't wear Mr T levels of jewelry.

Whatever shoes you wear, it's best if they're easy to slip on and off.

Keys, phone, wallet are about all you want in your pockets.

Be ready when you get to the front of the line. You shouldn't spend more than 20 seconds putting everything in bins. Laptop out of backpack, in bin.. Backpack in a bin.. Shoes, pocket contents and everything else in a third bin.

Drives me nuts seeing people that take 5 minutes holding up the line while they're trying to organize the bins.. "no, I can't put my wallet in the same bin as my shoes.. They clash"..

Old 08-12-2016, 10:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This. Please, everyone, I BEG ... empty your pockets before you get into the security line or while you're waiting in line. Put the contents of your pockets into one of the zipper pouches on your carry on. Or carry an empty ziploc bag. Don't wait until you get to the conveyor to empty your pockets. People like to blame delays on TSA, but frankly if passengers were more efficient, we'd all get through a lot faster.
Yes whatever stuff is in your backpack should be in zip lock bags. MUCH easier to manage if some rocket scientist decides to audit your contents.

Like, instead of having headphones and usbs all thrown in there in a bunch wind them up and put them in a bag.

You won't believe how many women especially hold up the line because they have their entire PROHIBITED contents of their beauty supplies in there. Like 32 oz bottles of liquid body wash LOL.

Stay next to your tray of stuff as it goes through the "xray". To make sure some other rocket scientist doesn't grab your laptop.

Don't lose your wallet or ID or ticket because you're in a hurry or pressured, either.

People mock fanny packs but as a dog walker, I couldn't live without one and they come in handy traveling. I wish I had known that when my passport slid out of my carry on when I landed in Greece and it took about an hour for me to realize it and lucky the plane was still there - we found it several rows back.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
People like to blame delays on TSA, but frankly if passengers were more efficient, we'd all get through a lot faster.
Yep. My pet peeve is people who aren't ready for what they know is coming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel