Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:14 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

My friend went to Croatia and said the beaches were beautiful, but it's probably a lot more expensive to travel to Croatia than Cancun.
Not really. 2 months ago there were deals allowing you to fly from east coast to Croatia for under $500 RT. If one pays attention, there are many fantastic deals available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yeah, they are just boring. And I am sure everything they are super happy coming back to see their familiar lawn and washer/dryer again. It is NOT about people liking different thing (what a lame excuse) - that would be convincing if these people TRIED something else other than the Caribbean and realize "yes, it is indeed better than Pompeii, Machu Picchu and Cappadocia"!
Are you sure that the people that you so non-judgmentally label "boring" haven't tried these things, or aren't *gasp* even more well-travelled than you are?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:34 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Are you sure that the people that you so non-judgmentally label "boring" haven't tried these things, or aren't *gasp* even more well-travelled than you are?

Yeah, didn't think so.
Yes, I am pretty sure.
Few well travelled people will repeat the Caribbean beach vacation year after year.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am pretty sure.
Few well travelled people will repeat the Caribbean beach vacation year after year.
Unless they tell you, you have no idea what people's travelling experiences are.

No matter what ridiculous judgment or stereotype you buy into.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:38 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
You sound like you're young, probably single, with no kids.

When I was younger, I did the backpacking across Europe thing, going from hostel to hostel on the cheap.

When I got older, I could afford a nicer vacation and stay in top resorts, so I do. I also have a wife and child along for the ride too. I don't want them staying in cheap, questionable places.

Let me know when you've stayed in an over the water bungalow at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora (I have.) Going to Europe and East Asia seem pretty tame to me. You must not have enough creative thinking for Bora Bora.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
As we were just finalizing our reservations for our vacation to Yellowstone next month, I had to chuckle a bit thinking about this thread.

Yeah, we're only going to Wyoming. How boring.
We were thinking of going to Yellowstone this year, but ended up going to Glacier National Park instead. I'm sure the OP would consider Montana just as bad. One night we even ate hamburgers at a road side restaurant with menus written in English.

They were some of the best burgers I've ever had though... Which might have been because we had just finished a 7 mile round trip by canoe to hike an Island inhabited by wild horses... but soooo boring, right?! Thank goodness I know better now. I'm totally going to plan a trip so that I can stay in some sketchy hostel with questionable people instead of visiting Denali next year.

Thanks OP!

Old 08-19-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We were thinking of going to Yellowstone this year, but ended up going to Glacier National Park instead. I'm sure the OP would consider Montana just as bad. One night we even ate hamburgers at a road side restaurant with menus written in English.

They were some of the best burgers I've ever had though... Which might have been because we had just finished a 7 mile round trip by canoe to hike an Island inhabited by wild horses... but soooo boring, right?! Thank goodness I know better now. I'm totally going to plan a trip so that I can stay in some sketchy hostel with questionable people instead of visiting Denali next year.

Thanks OP!
LOL

I consider myself incredibly lucky that I found someone outdoorsy who is happy visiting as many national parks as possible. After spending a lot of time doing some of the "non-boring travel" things that have been mentioned in this thread, I realized that I never really have seen and experienced these gorgeous parts of my own country. I have someone now with whom I can travel to these places and I couldn't be happier.

At this point in my life, I seriously LOL at people who spend even a moment of their time looking their noses down at what others choose to do with their free time. How sad an existence that must be.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:39 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

My friend went to Croatia and said the beaches were beautiful, but it's probably a lot more expensive to travel to Croatia than Cancun.

Quote:
Not really. 2 months ago there were deals allowing you to fly from east coast to Croatia for under $500 RT. If one pays attention, there are many fantastic deals available.

It is much, much more expensive for Americans to vacation in Croatia than it is in Mexico.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
What's stereotypical about Colorado? They could be hiking the Black Canyon. Skiing in Crested Butte. Mountain biking in Fruita. Trout fishing in Gunnison. Rafting on the Arkansas River. Exploring Native American ancestral sites in Mesa Verde National Park. Digging up dinosaur bones on an archeological site. Zip-lining on Pike's Peak. They could be in a suite at the historic Brown Palace Hotel, sleeping off their gourmet tour of downtown Denver.

You don't have to leave your own country to exercise your imagination.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
I'd guess that most of these people have families, and they're traveling with their children's interest in mind instead of their own. Hostels are basically college dorms...not the place middle aged people want to be especially with their kids. A foreign vacation that is acceptable to these people is expensive. It isn't as time consuming travel wise to stick to North America.

Traveling abroad and staying in hostels isn't "outside the box". A vacation that is outside the box would be building an itinerary based on quirky things on Roadside America (I'm determined to see the Gas Station Jesus outside of Dubuque).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel