Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 PM

11,770 posts, read 11,988,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is not the hostel experience, per se, that makes it a creative or adventurous option, it is the increased chance of discovering something unexpected to see or do because you are forced to interact with people. People who usually have fewer inhibitions about their travel experiences and thus have gotten off the beaten track and can share their discoveries with their hostel-mates.

And hotel concierges are likely to steer you towards banal and 'safe' attractions and restaurants as well. They are are not going to tell you about that rickety suspension foot-bridge across a chasm just outside of town with a guy selling <insert local food here> on the other side that he is cooking on some kind of traditional grill with an overlook of the sea.

But most people, American and European alike, are quite happy to pay a set price to stay in some resort enclave in Cancun or Mykonos.
Why is it assumed that an adventurous and original holiday must take place and be off the beaten path, and anything else is banal and mainstream? People from Europe, or Japan or Australia don't flock to North America and make sure to avoid all the great cities and natural wonders of our continent.

And if all hostellers are going off the beaten path, it's not exactly original and different, is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 02:25 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,377,912 times
One of my former managers gets 4 weeks of vacation a year. He either goes on cruises or travels within the state/stays home. I'll never understand it. If I had 4 weeks every year, I'd be doing a lot more than that.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,282,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've noticed that people seem to usually only leave town to see family, with the places you mentioned being a distant second. I get looked at like I have two heads when I mention going somewhere more unique. People don't think out of the box with travel.
If people spend their vacations visiting family, maybe that's because their families are important to them and they have a very limited amount of time to spend with them. When I worked for a Fortune 100 company I had exactly ONE WEEK vacation the first 3 years on the job. After that, I had two weeks for the following 7 years. I had siblings in three different states. So for an entire decade, the only time I could see them in person was using my vacation time. Somehow that seemed important to me, especially given they were having children I didn't even know. If that sounds boring to you, so be it.

On my 10th anniversary with the company, I got a third week's vacation and I went to Europe. Would I like to have gone abroad more often? Yes. Have I gone repeatedly to Europe and Asia since then, now that I have time? Yes. But I never regret the decade, when my nieces and nephews were growing, that I spent my brief vacations traveling to where they lived to get to know them in their native habitat. We're close to this day and I wouldn't trade that for any "out-of-the-box" travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why is it assumed that an adventurous and original holiday must take place and be off the beaten path, and anything else is banal and mainstream? People from Europe, or Japan or Australia don't flock to North America and make sure to avoid all the great cities and natural wonders of our continent.

And if all hostellers are going off the beaten path, it's not exactly original and different, is it.
BINGO!

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 08-20-2016 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-21-2016, 12:43 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,441 times
Good points regarding family, Jukesgirl!

Lets consider the other end of the lifespan-when you are middle aged, your parents are in old age.

Well, I booked the flights for my first trip this year. My mother is having severe health problems, and I expect to lose her soon.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:17 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,613,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Can't agree more.

Sounds judgmental and people might say "well. it is because we like this and that", but the truth is those people are simply conservative in terms of travel. They are afraid of different languages, different customs, different culture, anything that is not familiar.

I am exactly like you, been to Europe (6 times), East Asia (multiple), South America (3 times), Africa (once) and I almost never travel in US/Canada and the Caribbean is a big NO NO to me. I live in Canada but Florida sounds a horrible idea. And like you said, it is not even about the cost - Even Europe (except London and Paris) can be much cheaper than traveling in the US (unless you drive). I never spend more than $3000 in any of my Euro trip, ranging from 1-3 weeks, yet you see people splurging $4000 on a Caribbean cruise talking in English all the time.

yeah, they are just boring. And I am sure everything they are super happy coming back to see their familiar lawn and washer/dryer again. It is NOT about people liking different thing (what a lame excuse) - that would be convincing if these people TRIED something else other than the Caribbean and realize "yes, it is indeed better than Pompeii, Machu Picchu and Cappadocia"!
No.

You DON'T agree with the OP.

YOU are talking about TRAVEL. The OP is talking about VACATION. Those are two very different things.

Travel involves exploring new cultures or revisiting old ones, broadening your horizons, learning to cope in an alien environment.

Vacation is a short break in work to recharge and allow you to return to your job at least partially refreshed.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,613,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
It is much, much more expensive for Americans to vacation in Croatia than it is in Mexico.
And the people of Croatia are not inherently more interesting that the people of Mexico. If anything, they are in general MORE like European-Americans than are Mexicans

Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 AM

6,304 posts, read 8,993,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Travel involves exploring new cultures or revisiting old ones, broadening your horizons, learning to cope in an alien environment.
Since it's been a while since I was in grade school, I thought I'd take a look at the actual definition of "travel".

Simple Definition of travel
: to go on a trip or journey : to go to a place and especially one that is far away
: to go through or over (a place) during a trip or journey
: to move from one place to another

Travel | Definition of Travel by Merriam-Webster

I suppose there could be some difference of opinion as to what constitutes "far away", but I'd say that otherwise, the definition of travel is pretty cut and dry, and does not necessarily include any of the things that you mentioned.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 AM

10,309 posts, read 13,843,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If people spend their vacations visiting family, maybe that's because their families are important to them and they have a very limited amount of time to spend with them. When I worked for a Fortune 100 company I had exactly ONE WEEK vacation the first 3 years on the job. After that, I had two weeks for the following 7 years. I had siblings in three different states. So for an entire decade, the only time I could see them in person was using my vacation time. Somehow that seemed important to me, especially given they were having children I didn't even know. If that sounds boring to you, so be it.

On my 10th anniversary with the company, I got a third week's vacation and I went to Europe. Would I like to have gone abroad more often? Yes. Have I gone repeatedly to Europe and Asia since then, now that I have time? Yes. But I never regret the decade, when my nieces and nephews were growing, that I spent my brief vacations traveling to where they lived to get to know them in their native habitat. We're close to this day and I wouldn't trade that for any "out-of-the-box" travel.

BINGO!
I'm no saying it's bad to visit family, however I'm of the belief that the road goes both ways. I'll go see them once in a while, but they can also take the time to see me.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,441 times
Default Trade Offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If people spend their vacations visiting family, maybe that's because their families are important to them and they have a very limited amount of time to spend with them.

!
As has been pointed on other threads.....

Of all the developed countries, the USA offers the most limited time off. Meager, compared to some countries. Actually, when I learned about the very generous vacation time some nationalities enjoy, my first reaction was that it sounded too good to be true.

If your time off is meager, you are forced to make trades offs. For many people, family ties have high priority, so they use their time off to visit relatives.

Another trade off.... If, compared to other nationalities, you have much less time off, that means that you are working longer, and have less opportunity to rest and recharge. Preventing burn out becomes important. Which helps to explain the second category, the kind of laid back vacations that some disdain.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 08-21-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 02:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,528,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
I agree with you about the cruises & Cancun. I honestly for the life of me cannot figure out why someone would pay money to just be on a floating hotel. It's just not interesing to me at all. However, Colorado is great. I skied there once years ago & went camping there with the family when I was a kid. I'd love to go there again. Lots of places to visit, too bad time & money is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel