Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
One can only jump out of so many airplanes before it too becomes boring
It would be a lot less boring if the plane were on fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Default it's exactly that

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
My stepbother and his wife(both executives) just came back from an 8-day exhausting vacation in Varadero where they nearly died from the heat. Cuba in this season, the worst! but it's typical of them.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado
What is a "corporate office type"?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:56 PM

263 posts, read 230,811 times
Still waiting for OP to respond...

Old 08-24-2016, 02:43 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Funny thing is that he's been posting up a storm!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
Boring is subjective.

Someone else might say boring is doing the usual backpacker trail through SE Asia or Central/South America along with thousands of other dreadlock-warriors all staying in the same westerner-friendly hostels where grilled cheese with fries is on the menu and evening chats can be had that are rooted in comparing who's been to more places or been on the road longest.

Those boring cruise people all signing up for the excursion to go see the waterfalls in their minibus. Oh but wait everyone at the hostel is out front in the morning waiting for the van going to the waterfalls, the trip they signed up for at the convenient hostel tour desk.

The people on cruises unable to really disconnect from their home country to immerse in another culture, they need to cut the cord and really learn to soak up what is around them overseas instead of experiencing their packaged cruise tour. Hey check out the hostel day room, where 20 people are sitting around playing on laptops and smart phones for hours on end, at least the ones who didn't head over to the backpacker bar area for some beer pong and cheeseburgers.

Sarcasm aside, I hate cruises they just aren't my thing. But I sure don't think I can evaluate what is fun to others, live and let live dude.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:37 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Boring is subjective.

Someone else might say boring is doing the usual backpacker trail through SE Asia or Central/South America along with thousands of other dreadlock-warriors all staying in the same westerner-friendly hostels where grilled cheese with fries is on the menu and evening chats can be had that are rooted in comparing who's been to more places or been on the road longest.

Those boring cruise people all signing up for the excursion to go see the waterfalls in their minibus. Oh but wait everyone at the hostel is out front in the morning waiting for the van going to the waterfalls, the trip they signed up for at the convenient hostel tour desk.

The people on cruises unable to really disconnect from their home country to immerse in another culture, they need to cut the cord and really learn to soak up what is around them overseas instead of experiencing their packaged cruise tour. Hey check out the hostel day room, where 20 people are sitting around playing on laptops and smart phones for hours on end, at least the ones who didn't head over to the backpacker bar area for some beer pong and cheeseburgers.

Sarcasm aside, I hate cruises they just aren't my thing. But I sure don't think I can evaluate what is fun to others, live and let live dude.
Thanks for the laugh, this is awesome!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:

Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Quote:
Boring is subjective.

I sure don't think I can evaluate what is fun to others, live and let live dude.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I guess there are a few factors.

Lots of "office types" who are married with kids, or even busy couples w/o kids, they don't want to put a huge amount of time into planning their vacations, or scheduling them. All-inclusive resorts and cruises are just convenient. They're a tried-and-true vacation type. They can usually book something at the last minute, and spend their time relaxing and being catered to.

Florida tends to be more popular with families, I find, although there are now lots of resorts around Mexico and the Caribbean with activities for kids.

The "office types" I know who have grown kids, have more disposable income and time, and so they tend to be at least a tad more adventurous or self-indulgent with their vacation plans. They do a long weekend in Vegas, or go on a long trip to Italy or someplace.

There aren't many working middle aged folks who have the time, money, or inclination to take vacations that are too arduous, though... not many are going to hike the Camino de Santiago (although I do know a middle aged woman who did that), or backpack around Chile, or go surfing and diving in the South Pacific... those adventures are for the young or the retired. I am only talking about the "office types" that I'm familiar with, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel