Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 11:30 PM

19 posts, read 17,283 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,
Needed some suggestions on a "quick" 5 day “Photography” road trip from Vegas to Denver during the Nov Thanksgiving weekend. 4 of us will be reaching Las Vegas on Tue night around 11 PM and have a return flight from Denver on Sun evening at around 8 PM.

I have listed down 2 Plans below with some key places which I would like to visit, all open to change though (in the order from Vegas to Denver)

My primary interest is Photography (Nature, Wildlife, Sunrise/Sunsets, Star trails, Milky Way etc). Please let me know the most scenic routes to take from Vegas to Denver and what places/parks can I cover for Day and Night Photography.

Note: I have been to Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands earlier, so not too keen to see them again, but wouldn’t mind including them if it takes me through a really awesome scenic byway or dark night skies. Also, I don’t mind hectic driving schedules if that helps me get good shots. I do understand looking at my plan that it involves almost 250 miles of driving every day.

Also, The below places denote the route that I will take, and NOT whether I will halt at all these places, ‘coz I understand that it will not be possible. It could be a drive through and I completely understand that I may be missing out on seeing the place in the best possible way (As mentioned above, I have been to Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches earlier)

Plan A - 5 Days, 23 hrs Driving ==> From Vegas Airport
- Zabriskie Point Sunrise
- Valley of Fire
- Paria Canyon
- Horseshoe Bend
- Agathla Peak
- Monument Valley
- Shiprock
- Arches NP
Denver Airport

Plan B - 5 Days, 29 hrs Driving ==> From Vegas Airport
- Zabriskie Point Sunrise
- Valley of Fire
- Zion NP
- Bryce Canyon NP
- Capitol Reef NP
- Arches NP
- Agathla Peak
- Monument Valley
- Shiprock
- Santa Fe
Denver Airport

Thanks,
Manish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:03 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,601,815 times
So it seems like you are spending zero time in Colorado except to go to the airport?

Old 10-10-2016, 07:52 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,077,063 times
Route A you'll take I-70 to the Airport, Route B you'll take I-25. Either way be prepared for snowy weather, I-70 will require you to go over 2 mountain passes to get to Denver and you will likely hit some Sunday holiday ski traffic.Like SkyDog77 noted you aren't spending any time in Colorado, not sure how we can help.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:13 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,702,927 times
Maybe post this in the Travel forum?

Old 10-10-2016, 02:34 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,641,263 times
If you do Monument Valley, my advice is to book a 'tour'...GOOG it and read which one makes more sense for you.

The Native American run tours can get you deeper into the area, see stuff the average tourist will not, and it's their truck taking the beating, not your rental car, which won't make it very far safely in 'there', anyway.

1st thing in AM is better, as it's often windy/sandy lower viz near noon/early afternoon, depending...
Only downside for you is most tours are 2 customers min, so as a solo maybe you can hook up on a tour.

I forget the one we used, but it was all done by cell/net and our Native American guide was very good, knowledgeable and accommodating.
GL, mD

Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,325,296 times
I'd skip Shiprock, do Mesa Verde instead.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:06 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,641,263 times
^ +1, but it is a few hours of time: drive in, look around, get into a tour down to the mesa 'city(s)', etc.

But then, all the wonderful sights/sites that we have been to take some time.

MV is a remarkable place, imo.
GL, mD

Old 10-15-2016, 11:08 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,087,800 times
Just went out to that area a couple of years ago. With Plan A, you are in an area that is great for true night photography. Since you've already been to Arches, you might want to consider the following changes:

Agathla Peak-->Monument Valley-->Goosenecks State Park (UT)-->Natural Bridges National Monument-->Shiprock-->Denver Airport

I'm hoping to get back out to the area in the near future to really see some true dark skies. We pretty much missed seeing anything in true darkness as we were always back in Moab or Kanab before it really got dark and were too tired to venture out from the town to see the night sky. I'm thinking about staying in Mexican Hat for a day or two the next trip out. Agathla Peak and Shiprock look pretty cool. Glad you listed those. I'm more of a forested mountain fan, but I do enjoy the solitude and desolateness of the southwest.

On edit: Someone posted about Mesa Verde. We were unable to check out that area due to time constraints. We opted for Four Corners, which really wasn't much, and we only stayed there for maybe 20-25 minutes. My folks when to Mesa Verde and they spoke highly of it. So you might want to consider trying to fit that in your travels.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,325,296 times
Don't pass up Mesa Verde.
Attached Thumbnails
5 Day Photography Road Trip from Vegas to Denver-5bnaquebvffirbiwahlgdkfzfkogflzvqhwxdooukq4px92ib.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
View detailed profiles of: