Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times

Advertisements

If you want a truly no-topping experience, go with Sandals. Their staff are strictly prohibited from accepting any tips...like "lose your job on the spot" strict. (Butlers and spa personnel are the exception.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:23 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Ya know, I always tip. I don't care whether it's expected or not. For me, it's just a good practice and I appreciate how many people make my stay better.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:05 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
If you want a truly no-topping experience, go with Sandals. Their staff are strictly prohibited from accepting any tips...like "lose your job on the spot" strict. (Butlers and spa personnel are the exception.)
If this is the case, Sandals will get my vote when the group of us decide where to go. And again, not because I don't tip or that I'm anti tip...I just can't get comfortable with the "we say don't but please do" thing day after day.

I kinda feel sheety using Uber now for similar reasons. I like them because they're cashless and upfront about pricing. The fact that tipping was not encouraged was immaterial. Now that it's apparently soft-suggested to tip AND that i know the drivers aren't really getting too great of a deal from the company, I feel funny about using them. It feels a little manipulative...not sure if that's the right word...

Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
If this is the case, Sandals will get my vote when the group of us decide where to go. And again, not because I don't tip or that I'm anti tip...I just can't get comfortable with the "we say don't but please do" thing day after day.

I kinda feel sheety using Uber now for similar reasons. I like them because they're cashless and upfront about pricing. The fact that tipping was not encouraged was immaterial. Now that it's apparently soft-suggested to tip AND that i know the drivers aren't really getting too great of a deal from the company, I feel funny about using them. It feels a little manipulative...not sure if that's the right word...
I have been to probably a half dozen AI's, and I have never felt like they were "waiting" or "expecting" a tip.. which made giving one that much better.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I've never been to one, and would probably never voluntarily choose one for a vacation, but circumstances have come up where I might be part of a group to go. This would be a family thing, but no kids. So 18+.

My simple question is this. I am under the understanding that these are no-tipping resorts. But are they REALLY no tipping or are some 'brands' more strict about it than others? Sub-question: are some brands known for treating their employees better than others?

TIA
Quote:

^^^ that was my experience when the ex and I spent a week at Sandals in Negril about 20 years ago..... I thought our housekeeper was EXCELLENT, though and found a way to slip a little extra to her......

Old 08-24-2016, 06:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I have been to probably a half dozen AI's, and I have never felt like they were "waiting" or "expecting" a tip.. which made giving one that much better.
Exactly!!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:20 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Couples Resorts also strictly prohibit staff from receiving tips. Sometimes people will leave the staff STUFF after they leave the room for good.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 PM

308 posts, read 499,124 times
We stayed at Riu all inclusive resort in Cabo a couple years ago. Like others have said, they don't expect you to tip. But we did tip for great service...great waitstaff, housekeeper, room service, etc. They were all very appreciative. And never got the "stink eye" if we did not tip.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
We stayed at Riu all inclusive resort in Cabo a couple years ago. Like others have said, they don't expect you to tip. But we did tip for great service...great waitstaff, housekeeper, room service, etc. They were all very appreciative. And never got the "stink eye" if we did not tip.
Also stayed at Riu in Cabo. My first experience at an AI resort. No tip expected but was very much appreciated. The staff were wonderful, loved them.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
All I can say is, I tipped at a place where I was advised not to tip and the server acted all offended like I thought she was poor. NEVER AGAIN. (Germany)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel