Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 11:16 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times

Advertisements

What would Dubai have to offer that you can't find in Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
More real wealth, fewer tourists, more expats, no drunks, infinitely more keffiyehs than bikinis.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:26 PM

605 posts, read 669,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Dubai is not just the Burj Khalifa, Burj al Arab, or the mall.....Dubai also has local Pakistani and Indian neighborhoods that are fascinating to explore. Leave the fancy parts of the city and see how the regular people live.
To see how real people in India or Pakistan live, you could just go to India/Pakistan and probably spend half as much as you would visiting Dubai.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:37 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The tallest building in the world
Palm Island - man made island
7 start hotel
Largest mall in the world

but another side of Dubai...
a multicultural society
The bedouin culture which can be seen as soon as you get out of the main city
Islamic culture that you read about but don't see
Man and women dressed in traditional arabic gear, but you only see that in mall. the locals don't seem to hangout where other people are
Riding camel
seeing belly dancing

Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
I would LOVE to visit Dubai, man. I just envision it as an artificial city that provides most of what anyone would need (if artificially), and it works. Everything is just so.... surreal, I'd think.

Now, I do understand that, although it is considered a playground for the Middle East, that tolerance for unacceptable behaviors is very low.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:00 PM

317 posts, read 373,748 times
We are here in Dubai - it's kinda a Middle East lite - you can do stuff here that you can't do in Saudi/Kuwait or other countries. I'm impressed with how clean the city is - no graffiti, homeless, etc. - so you can't really compare it to Vegas which just has the strip

Old 09-11-2016, 10:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I would LOVE to visit Dubai, man. I just envision it as an artificial city that provides most of what anyone would need (if artificially), and it works. Everyjthing is just so.... surreal, I'd think.

You can 'snow ski', toboggan, or ice skate at the mall and not get sun burnt.!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
To see how real people in India or Pakistan live, you could just go to India/Pakistan and probably spend half as much as you would visiting Dubai.
Have you been to UAE, Oman, Egypt or any other country in that region?

Old 12-22-2019, 11:58 PM

6 posts, read 3,674 times
Where were you staying? Did you check out some of the hotels in Downtown Dubai? The hotels in the area are the perfect jump-off point for urban exploration. The area is one of the city’s most happening neighbourhood. Although hotels can be expensive in the area, there are still hotel options that are cheaper than renting an apartment. A good hotel would have guided you around the city, with a list of curated experiences.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
I was long fascinated with the idea of visiting Dubai. A few years back when traveling to South Africa, I had the opportunity to use Emirates Airline to get there. We took advantage of their 4-day free stopover in Dubai. I agree with others that it has a lot in common with Las Vegas.

On the other hand, I enjoy Las Vegas once or twice a year, but I have no interest in ever revisiting Dubai. A couple of days is enough to see the worthwhile sights and after that we became bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel