Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:30 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,938,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm definitely pro gun, but it's alarming to me that there are gun owners who don't even bother to check the laws of places they are visiting, ESPECIALLY another freaking country. I'd imagine that most people caught have no idea that their handgun is illegal.

When I travel to other states, I always check the laws to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal.
Most border points there are large signs stating that handguns cannot be brought into Canada.

Windsor/Detroit crossing:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,727,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
lepoisson..

A slight correction.

The Canada Border Services stations are IN Canada, so a traveller has all ready "entered Canada ", as they drive up to the inspection booth. On a bridge crossing from the US to Canada, there is a two foot wide "no man's land " at the middle of the bridge that is marked by the national flags of the two countries. As soon as you pass the flags, you have "entered the country".

Remember that no one, who is not a Canadian citizen, or a legal Permanent Resident of Canada has a "right to enter Canada". The CBSA may deny entry to Canada to any one who does not meet the requirements . There is a long list.

Jim b.
Good to know. I've actually never been to the border in Canada, but most European borders are set up the same way.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:40 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,458,791 times
Markg.

Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious.

For the record, I served in the Canadian Forces for 30 years, retiring in 1996. I was a military Police investigator. I was armed, while on duty, for most of my career.

Now that I am retired, I live in Toronto, but during my military life I was posted in Alberta at 3 different CFB's, in Manitoba at 2 different CFB's and in British Columbia at 1 CFB. A CFB is a Canadian Forces Base .

My point ? I lived around and associated with dozens of Canadians, both military and civilian during my military career. I hunted deer, bear and Moose, and wild birds. I am not anti gun..... I AM all for strict enforcement, and proper handling and safe storage of them.

What else would you expect from a former cop ?

Jim B.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,677,028 times
We crossed the border into AB this June. We love Canada and travel to the country frequently for vacation in Banff. We are from Texas, and I’m also licensed to carry a handgun. I have never carried a gun even here in Texas. I’m 75 years old and take many classes in different pursuit's, just to pass time, to keep occupied and learn something.

They searched every nook and cranny of the car, luggage and wife’s handbag. After 1.5 hours of search we are on our way. They had a difficult time believing that not everyone from Texas carry’s a gun. I own many guns.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:31 PM

txfriend.

The fact that you own guns was right there on the CBSA computer screen that the officer was looking at, when you rolled up to the booth. It was connected to your Texas state license plate, which was read by the CCTV camera. Canada and the USA share a lot of information with each other.

For example, warrants for arrest, child abduction notices, military deserters, stolen vehicles, registered owners of vehicles, criminal conviction records, prison escapees , registered sexual offenders.

One of the many things that Canadian border security officers are looking for, when they are dealing with people in vehicles at the border are visible signs . As in decals for various groups. NRA would be the most common one, followed by gun makers, like S&W, Colt, and Remington. Such signs are indicators that firearms MAY be found in that car or truck.

Jim B.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,309,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
We crossed the border into AB this June. We love Canada and travel to the country frequently for vacation in Banff. We are from Texas, and I’m also licensed to carry a handgun. I have never carried a gun even here in Texas. I’m 75 years old and take many classes in different pursuit's, just to pass time, to keep occupied and learn something.

They searched every nook and cranny of the car, luggage and wife’s handbag. After 1.5 hours of search we are on our way. They had a difficult time believing that not everyone from Texas carry’s a gun. I own many guns.
It happens. As a Canadian who calls Texas home, I got the same BS when we drove up last year. I think they just panic at the sight of the plate.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:12 PM

10,371 posts, read 8,011,837 times
Slightly OT, but it's not just guns people should think about when it comes to border crossings. A surprising number of medications may be available only by prescription in country A, available over the counter in country B, and flat-out illegal in country C. If you take medications and travel internationally, ALWAYS take a few minutes to make sure any medications you need can actually be legally brought into your planned destination!

Old 08-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Aredhel.

A very good point and I will add this one.

Having a medical marijuana permit from a US state has ZERO legal standing in Canada. It doesn't mean a thing in Canada. And the CBSA can and does, deny entry to people with controlled substances in their car or on them. That's why we have drug detection dogs at the ports of entry.

Jim B.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 PM

16,400 posts, read 30,325,114 times
If you watch about four episodes of Canada Border Protection on YouTube, a show similar to Cops, you will probably see nearly everything thay you will come up against

The one critical thing:

Never lie when crossing the border.

And one more thing. If you are denied admission at one border crossing, running to the next one is pretty futile.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,799,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Mexico also has a big problem with Americans trying to cross the boarder with guns or ammo. People should not attempt to do it,,,,, leaving the country (U.S.) with guns.
Yeah like that dumb ex-Marine who crossed into Mexico with loaded guns, got arrested, and all of the offended Americans were demanding his immediate release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel