Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
I am planning a visit there and wondering if what it would be like in that beautiful historic city.

I've visited at least a dozen times. I love it. Many don't, mostly because they just expect to see things like the Acropolis and don't realize it's a very large, busy, and crowded city. If you are open to the fact that it is a major city existing in our century and isn't Disneyland, it can be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The sights are amazing, the Agora is cool, and once you get away from the immediate core around the Parthenon, it sucks.

It's a typical big city that expanded too fast, and was all built around the 70's where the architecture was boring and just meh.

People are great, and you'll have a good time, but Athens =/= Rome or Istanbul which are living museums.
About ten years ago I had a period of time where I went through Athens over and over, not long stays by any means though. I was surprised by how dumpy Athens is on the whole...big city, etc. as said in the above quote.

I did enjoy the sightseeing, but once that was done I really did not care for the city.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:23 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
I went there half a dozen times between 1976 and 1989, and again for one New Year, maybe 2003 or 2004.
Obviously there is a fascinating history there, and knockout sites, like the Parthenon, Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, etc.
Near the Acropolis is the tourist district, Plaka, this is okay for t-shirts, and other tourist paraphernalia, and also for light snacks, like kebabs and chips, (kabobs and fries to our American cousins).
Give the area a wide berth if you want to eat in upmarket establishments though, like Spondi, check it out on TripAdvisor.
The city is probably a tad depressed now, with all the austerity being introduced by the government, to comply with the E.U. requirements to qualify for loans to get Greece out of the hole that it partly dug itself, and was also partly dug for Greece by others.
There is even an off the wall rumour that Greeks will have to start paying taxes regularly, not in the haphazard, maybe I will, maybe I won't style of the past.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
I loved Delphi, Meteora, Mycenae, Olympia, the countryside of Sparta and Santorini much more than Athens

Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I've visited at least a dozen times. I love it. Many don't, mostly because they just expect to see things like the Acropolis and don't realize it's a very large, busy, and crowded city. If you are open to the fact that it is a major city existing in our century and isn't Disneyland, it can be fantastic.
It's a large crowded city, exactly like every other one on the planet, just Greek. Outside of the Plaka and Acropolis, there's nothing to set it apart. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not special. Go to Rome, and you can't make that same statement.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:25 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
The Acropolis is absolutely amazing. That alone makes Athens worth a visit. The Plaka is also nice.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Everyone I know who has been to Greece complained about the HEAT. I notice no one here has mentioned that.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Everyone I know who has been to Greece complained about the HEAT. I notice no one here has mentioned that.
I live in Houston. I really can't complain about anywhere, as it's probably an improvement.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
I really enjoyed the 1-2 days I spent there walking around. Is it my #1 choice for cities in Europe? No. It's not even my top destination choice in Greece (Samaria Gorge, Sougia or the Cyclades, perhaps), so I get some of the criticisms that you could "do better."

But so what, and as someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in Europe, it was still definitely worth the time for me. Enjoyed good food affordably, enjoyed the sights and people watching.

Keeping close guard of your possessions isn't a bad idea (a common warning if you're going in/out of the city via Piraeus specifically), but as long as you're alert I don't think you need to be paranoid.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I went to Athens over ten years ago. I stayed a week with my wife (whose Greek) and we had a great time. Overall, I would agree with the assessment that outside a few select areas, the city doesn't have much of a historic feel. But then again, you have to remember that Athens was just a village when Greece gained its independence and made the capital. You had over 1000 years where the city wasn't a big deal. To understand Byzantine Greece, you have to go to Asia Minor and see Constantinople, Smyrna, etc.

Still, there is enough to see with the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, Agora, and day trips to places like Delphi to keep you busy for a week or so easily.

From what I hear from my wife's relatives back there is that the city is depopulating, in disrepair, and crime is on the rise. We went the week before the Olympics, so everything was new and polished up. I don't think it should stop anybody from visiting, but going now is seeing the city during a downturn.

Last edited by westsideboy; 08-30-2016 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel