Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:44 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

For me it would be China.

I love the variety and flavor of the food, the big pedestrian streets they have in most cities, the public transportation system, the high speed rail network, the way you can buy a cheap beer at a convenience store then sit on a bench people watching, the curiosity of the people, the city parks, the way they dote on children, and the way they exercise together in said parks or on plazas.

That said it can be one of the most frustrating places to travel because of the behavior of many of the locals. Constantly cutting in line, shoving to get somewhere instead trying to go around, the spitting not only in public but also on elevators and supermarkets, the kids running amok and pissing everywhere, the screaming volume of conversation, the way they are so inconsiderate in sharing space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 02:52 AM

Here is an example of the self-absorbed behavior, I took this picture in ZhengZhou a few weeks ago:

Everyone using that sidewalk has to go out into traffic in the street because the owner of that scooter needed to park it right there, and couldn't even bother to turn it so it didn't block the way. Argh.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 966 times
Difficult question...
I will say "France" - love to travel there, but with all the terror attacks (don't love.. little bit afraid)

Old 08-31-2016, 06:53 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
For me it would be India. Similar issues as what liequang pointed out.

There are absolutely beautiful sites - temples, national parks, rivers and archeological sites. But the explosion in population, poor infrastructure and sanitation, power disruptions along with inconsiderate behavior to others and marked corruption make me not want to go back there anymore. But I give in order to see the stunning Himalayan ranges in the northern states like Himachal Pradesh and the great scenic drives along the way.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:32 PM

417 posts, read 445,236 times
Well, other than my homeland (USA), I would say the Philippines. I love the people and climate, the beauty of the land. I hate the poverty and government. Nepal, to a lesser extent, also meets the same criteria.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
India and China stand out.

India - I've been to my share of developing countries, roughly 75% of the world is in that category. But India stands out based on the amount of filth, it's some sort of cultural thing. Yes, we get it, you are poor. But dispose of your trash. No where have I seen the amount of filth comparable to what I have seen in India.

China - Imagine a country that is occupied with the Chinese version of "The Beverly Hillbillies''. A couple decades ago everyone was living in tin shacks and rode bicyles, now they live in high-rises and drive Japanese automobiles. They aren't quite sure how to deal with it. Combine that with government intrusion (as a visiting businessman in a high tech field) - I can't take a shi*t in my hotel room without being sure that someone isn't recording it, and I always get these mysterious viruses and spyware on my laptop that I find once I return to the US.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:48 PM

36 posts, read 42,728 times
Htours - I don't think the OP was talking about your personal fears.
For me, it's not a country, but city - Mexico City. I've lived there 3 times and have a love/hate relationship with it. Been gone now for a year and I'm missing the craziness of it.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes, we get it, you are poor. But dispose of your trash.
It is weird in countries like India to see someone walking down the street unwrapping some food and just toss it onto the sidewalk. No sense of guilt like needing to make sure nobody is looking, just a cultural norm of trash belongs on the ground wherever you happen to be standing.

Sometimes if a river is nearby they make the additional effort to toss garbage there instead.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Italy. Some men are downright rude and they are in service positions,i.e. taxi drivers and hotel clerks. The place is dirty and poor. Food is not amazing as I had hope. But some places are definitely worth visiting.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
America and Denmark. I lived in the US for 52 years, Denmark for 20. I love and hate both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel