Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:22 AM

666 posts, read 479,214 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Aruba and would recommend either doing a jeep tour or renting a jeep and exploring on our own ? We are going next month on our honeymoon and have only 6 full days to enjoy. We booked one afternoon doing the blue melody sunset cruise and wanted to spend another day exploring. I have been to Aruba before and did a self guided atv tour and had an amazing time. We did not do the natural pool because the drive looked treacherous. I don't know if we would be able to make it on a jeep on our own.

Should we do a half day tour that goes there? Or rent on our own and skip natural pool and go to baby beach, north coast and arikok park? Or do the full day tour that goes all those places? We like having freedom to do our own thing but if we get to see everything the full day tour might be worth it ? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:00 AM

100 posts, read 88,597 times
We've done both. We took a guided tour when we visited Aruba during a cruise and had only one day there. It was great! We enjoyed it but it only made us want to go back. We returned a couple of years later along with two other couples and we all rented jeeps for the week. We were all over the place, including natural pool. Yes, some of it was treacherous. In fact, at one point, I hit a hole and bottomed out so hard that I thought I had ripped the oil pan off the jeep. It was okay and after that, we were not quite so adventurous. When we returned the jeeps at the end of the week, I noticed that our rental agreement stated, "no off-road use." OOPS! Guess I missed that one.
If I had it all to do over again, I would go with the full day guided tour. You get to see everything and once you've seen it, you probably won't want to go back during your stay. Having your own wheels on Aruba is not that big of a deal. Public transportation will get you anywhere else you want to go and if you decide you're just going to hang by the pool a couple of days, then you haven't spent anything on a vehicle rental that day.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Aruba is nice if you're going to spend a day or 2 snorkeling and sunning. Great beach area for that. But the rest is overrated. We took a cruise tour and what a disappointment. It 1st took us through town and the guide just marveled at the nice new McDonalds and KFC that were built there, then we went over to an un-spectacular lighthouse, then to some windy area where ocean water swirled through some holes in the rocks. Whoopee!

Old 09-08-2016, 06:23 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
While it CAN be done in a Corolla or similar vehicle, a higher-clearance vehicle is useful for getting to Dos Playas and the nearby Boca Prins (even got a bar and restaurant there now) on the northeast shore. It's past (north of) the Quadirikiri Caves on the eastern loop road, Route 7. Every time I've been there it's empty, and the water is truly amazing. Not very swimmable beyond the break, it's generally rough, but it's an idyllic beach, easy to get to, about 30 minutes from Palm and Eagle Beach. On the way back stop at Hooiberg, or Haystack Mountain, the climb to the top is worth it. The north shore has some nice places as well, north of the Tierra golf course, in which a Jeep is better than a standard rental car.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...7!4d-69.918742

Old 09-09-2016, 08:17 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Aruba is nice if you're going to spend a day or 2 snorkeling and sunning. Great beach area for that. But the rest is overrated. We took a cruise tour and what a disappointment. It 1st took us through town and the guide just marveled at the nice new McDonalds and KFC that were built there, then we went over to an un-spectacular lighthouse, then to some windy area where ocean water swirled through some holes in the rocks. Whoopee!

Well it's sad that you only had part of a day there. I spent a week in Aruba and it was jam-packed with activities, from diving to riding trikes and Segways to exploring the entire island on our own and seeing the aloe factory and local areas. There is so much more to do there than just sunning and snorkeling.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:38 AM

297 posts, read 743,193 times
There's so much to do in Aruba we go back every year. �� We always rent a jeep but I'm not gutsy enough to take it to the natural pond. I've heard great things about the tours.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:51 AM

666 posts, read 479,214 times
Hey bac0s. What do you do when you rent jeeps?? Have any advice you could shares? Thanks!

Old 10-02-2016, 01:07 PM

297 posts, read 743,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Hey bac0s. What do you do when you rent jeeps?? Have any advice you could shares? Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply! We drive around the undeveloped side of the island. Stop at the little beaches (not suitable for swimming) and collect sea glass. Go to the Alto Vista chapel. Climb around the gold mine ruins. Drive through the National Park. Enjoy the beauty and peace. There few buildings nothing there and few people.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:50 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
The jeep gives you freedom to move about. That would be my preference.

We rented a Harley when we were there and had a great time driving all over the island.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:47 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,639 times
Been to Aruba a couple times and have tried the group jeep tour with about 10 people on a large jeep and also the jeep tour where you have your own jeep and drive with the group. (Those jeeps hold 2 people so you can take turns driving.) I would highly recommend the group tour with driving your own jeep - it was loads of fun! There are also ATV tours with just one person per ATV, but I actually like the jeeps better - they have roll bars (just in case), the ATVs do not. Also, I think that you get dirtier in the ATV since it is pretty dusty and there's no front window, like there is with the jeep. The scenery that you go through in the national park is stunning. There are also the Segway tours along the beach - we also enjoyed this.

Aruba is a great place to visit. However, it can be very commercial and touristy so you really need to seek out other adventures besides the main touristy/shopping/restaurant areas, if that is what you prefer. We enjoyed the Eagle Beach area much more so than Palm Beach as it was much more quiet and serenely beautiful. Eagle Beach was huge compared to Palm Beach. (We loved the Bucuti Resort on Eagle Beach.) Palm Beach area is much more touristy and lined with the high rise hotels, shops and restaurants, although the water is a bit calmer there for swimming than Eagle Beach.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel