Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 AM

298 posts, read 275,395 times

Advertisements

On my trip to Greece for a week i have come across some pretty obnoxious Germans, they were quite mean and always pushy for some reason, i honestly don't know what they were so obnoxious about, one German guy tried to argue about me taking up the whole space on a table at a cafe on the cruise ship "Celestyal Olympia", where I took a 4 day cruise from Athens to Mykonos and Santorini and Kusadasi, Turkey and many nice islands in and around Greece, it was wonderful and nice, Im from Canada and we speak English, so maybe that is the reason for the fact that I met some Germans who were a bit chippy, they actually insult you in German and not even in English if you speak English, i guess they hate Americans, but im not American...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:07 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,702,074 times
You've just come across a few bad batches of them. Most are relatively inoffensive sorts, save for a persistent tendency to wander past 'Danger!! Do not go further!!' signs at the edges of canyons in national parks around the world.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM

44,559 posts, read 61,304,789 times
I hear the same thing about Americans too from foreigners, the 'ugly American" when obnoxious American tourists think they are better than anyone else. Our tour group in Asia once had an obnoxious American and he almost got us all arrested for his escapades.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:25 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,671,055 times
When I lived in Hawaii I ran into many German tourists. The seemed constantly frustrated that things didn't work exactly like in Germany.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,507,172 times
My biggest issue with German tourists is same as with Russian ones... middle aged men in speedos at the pool and beach.

Aside from that no problems, even had a nice German fellow contact me when I left my Kindle in a minivan in Myanmar, we hooked up later in another city and he gave it to me.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:07 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,438,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
On my trip to Greece for a week i have come across some pretty obnoxious Germans, they were quite mean and always pushy for some reason, i honestly don't know what they were so obnoxious about, one German guy tried to argue about me taking up the whole space on a table at a cafe on the cruise ship "Celestyal Olympia", where I took a 4 day cruise from Athens to Mykonos and Santorini and Kusadasi, Turkey and many nice islands in and around Greece, it was wonderful and nice, Im from Canada and we speak English, so maybe that is the reason for the fact that I met some Germans who were a bit chippy, they actually insult you in German and not even in English if you speak English, i guess they hate Americans, but im not American...
Actually, you are North American. The United States citizens aren't the only "Americans". North, Central and South Americans are part of that group as well.

On topic, I have German neighbors and the guy is really nice and mild mannered. The female, much different story. We've not exactly had a great relationship as she can be very abrasive at times, especially given the limited amount of contact we have. I think it's probably more of a communication barrier (they both speak English, him better than her) than anything but certainly cultural to an extent as well.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:19 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,108,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
On topic, I have German neighbors and the guy is really nice and mild mannered. The female, much different story. We've not exactly had a great relationship as she can be very abrasive at times, especially given the limited amount of contact we have. I think it's probably more of a communication barrier (they both speak English, him better than her) than anything but certainly cultural to an extent as well.

Don't you have the same thing with your other neighbors? Some are nice and some are abrasive.

There is a certain portion of tourists from ALL countries who are unpleasant to deal with.

Many years ago, we went camping with my uncle and some friends. Most of our group was fluent in German. The German tourist at the next campsite were complaining how Americans were backwards as they did nothing the way Germans do. My uncle and friends - in perfect German - started a loud conversation on how rude German tourists were when out of their country. You never saw so many red faces.

After that, things were much better and everyone had a laugh.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:36 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,710,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Actually, you are North American. The United States citizens aren't the only "Americans". North, Central and South Americans are part of that group as well.
The demonym for a person from the US is "American."

Old 09-24-2016, 06:01 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,716,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
My biggest issue with German tourists is same as with Russian ones... middle aged men in speedos at the pool and beach.
Ha..ha..ha.. too true! They seem to be very fond of their skimpy Speedos and not shy about colors either! Fire engine red, bright canary yellow, metalic blue, oy vey!

Old 09-24-2016, 06:04 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,716,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
Well, maybe next time don't take up the whole space then. Was the place crowded at the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel