Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Bus tours, contrary to what some have said here, are very popular, especially for European trips. We've been on two previously and are planning another for this year.
As someone who normally avoids group tours, I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed my first bus tour when I visited Portugal a few years ago. I wanted to see the countryside but I didn't feel like driving, nor did I feel like taking public transport to all of my destinations. So I went on this small van tour (there were only 4 in the van: me, my husband, another tourist from Brazil, and the driver), and we went on a day tour to see some beach towns, countryside, stopped for lunch at a little hole-in-a-wall seafood hut, it was fantastic! Now, I wouldn't exactly start booking for my next bus tour just yet, but I would totally sign up for a small tour like that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 10:26 AM

342 posts, read 388,068 times
I find Trip Advisor forums to be invaluable, not just the reviews. There are regulars that hang out there, many locals, that help travelers with all the details and ideas. I have learned so much about places I am traveling from these forums.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
We did five weeks in Scotland. Searched for places we wanted to see, guessed how long each place, checked with ferry seduces as needed 14 trips on them and then found most b&b and booked them left a few nights as floaters. As it turned out it was almost prefect other than the weather being unseasonably cold. The longest planned tour we have ever done was a single day outing from Havana and it was nice running into angle hones as few in most days in Havana. For out trip back to Scotland there will be one or two one day trips planned otherwise it is pick up the map, head out and turn off the GPS first time she tells us not to stop at a scenic spots forcing her to recalculate. And we might buy one here so Ms GPS does have a Scotia acent.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I took me less than 15 minutes using a few web sites to come up with this list for Tokyo and Japan
The robot fights place near Shinjuku!

I forget the name, can't beat beer and robots.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
but it takes education, culture, knowledge of history curiosity to appreciate cities such as Istanbul or Kyoto.
Nonsense. Both can be appreciated by any tool on a tour group.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Next year we'll be heading to Italy/Paris so I'll do all my research online and book asap. My bf and her husband are going at end of April but on a tour. I don't want to do that but she can also give me good advice.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:

A five year old knows the Grand Canyon is beautiful, but it takes education, culture, knowledge of history curiosity to appreciate cities such as Istanbul or Kyoto.
lol haha
As blunt as some may think you are, but I like your posts. Crude and raw with a subtle humor.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:32 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I find Trip Advisor forums to be invaluable, not just the reviews. There are regulars that hang out there, many locals, that help travelers with all the details and ideas. I have learned so much about places I am traveling from these forums.
Trip Advisor is good, except for restaurant suggestions. For that it stinks. Its a good way to eat at subpar places. The last people I would rely on for where to eat is tourists, exactly the people doing the reviews there.

Quote:
A five year old knows the Grand Canyon is beautiful, but it takes education, culture, knowledge of history curiosity to appreciate cities such as Istanbul or Kyoto.
lol

Old 03-26-2017, 01:15 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Thanks guys!

Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
I've never ever used a travel agent, I love doing research myself as that is part of the fun. And the resources available on the net are far superior to any travel agent, you can discuss first hand on forums with people who have already been there, get tips and tricks and find off the beaten path spots that no travel agent can ever tell you.

My itineraries are usually very customized and complex so I prefer to attend to each detail myself so I know what is going on. For instance my trip this August is to Kenya and Tanzania open jaw with 8 different flight segments to maximize the paltry vacation time I have from my job.. but also has buffers built in incase things go haywire (and any experienced traveler will tell you that you always have to have a Plan B ready to execute!). A travel agent may not be able to plan something in such detail or may not care.

Travel agencies are still useful for people who are highly inexperienced with traveling (and there are a still a humongous number of those people surprisingly!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel