Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times

Advertisements

Husband and I have to drive all the way to Fl in two weeks and we're trying to find the cheapest way to do it as 4 weeks after that we'll be moving back to Fl. How about things like hotels, would you recommend getting one or should we nap in say a rest area parking lot? Is that safe these days? I'd like to drive straight through but I dunno if it will be possible as I'm picking up my husband from work and we're leaving straight from there. Any tricks anyone uses when making that long of a drive.We're leaving on a saturday night and must be there sunday as my husband has interviews on monday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
The cheapest way to make that trip would be driving straight through in shifts. Pack sanwiches, drinks, and snacks for the road so you don't have to eat out. Check out gas prices on gasbuddy(?) to find the best places(states) to fill up. South Carolina and Georgia are usually cheap.

I didn't quite understand your question. How long do you have to get to FL? Sat to Sun, 1 day, or 1 week or 2?

Are you going to Naples? You better gas up before you get there. Naples charges more for everything including food, gas, and housing.

If you are concerned about prices now I would be "very" concerned about prices if you are moving to Naples.

Good Luck
Lisa

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
The cheapest way to make that trip would be driving straight through in shifts. Pack sanwiches, drinks, and snacks for the road so you don't have to eat out. Check out gas prices on gasbuddy(?) to find the best places(states) to fill up. South Carolina and Georgia are usually cheap.

I didn't quite understand your question. How long do you have to get to FL? Sat to Sun, 1 day, or 1 week or 2?

Are you going to Naples? You better gas up before you get there. Naples charges more for everything including food, gas, and housing.

If you are concerned about prices now I would be "very" concerned about prices if you are moving to Naples.

Good Luck
Lisa

Oh thanks for the gasbuddy site I'll definetly check it out. I'm not concerned about Naples I lived there for the past 24 years and just recently moved away to NH in June of last year BIG MISTAKE.. talk about expensive!!!!!!! I'm just moving back to my neck of the woods and can't wait to go back. We leave Sat the 15th and need to be there by the 16th The husband has an interview on monday morn..

Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,349 times
We've done the drive from FL to NY (and reverse) many times, both stopping overnight and driving straight thru. 1st trip, went to Daytona. Left early Sat, and drove straight thru and were in Daytona early Sunday am. I prefer stopping overnight in NC and starting again early in the day, but hubby prefers driving straight thru. The rest areas in VA are pretty safe and lighted, if you need to nap. However, once you get to the Carolinas, there were fewer stopping points at night, until South of the Border. We always packed a cooler with sandwiches and drinks and had snacks to munch on, since eating at the rest stops is both expensive and fattening. One thing to be aware of is speeding late at night, especially in GA! Don't make our mistake!!! BTW, love Naples - visited twice and would go back in a heartbeat!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:57 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,170 times
I have done the FL (Northeast)-NY (Long Island) drive non stop a few times. Pack as much as you can to eat, consolidate your bathroom breaks into your gas stops and get any necessities at these places. I always stop at WAWA as they tend to have the cheapest gas, great convenience store with a full service deli counter for sandwiches and other hot items...and they have some of the best coffee along I-95...which I am sorry to say, does not have much in terms of coffee stops. Coffee is my friend so thats important to me. I do not know what kind of car you have, how you or your husband drives, (Ie. Lead foot), or what official route you are taking to get to FL so I will use I 95 as an example. As a general rule of thumb, coming from NH, my suggestion for gas stops is NJ, MD (has been ok for me), VA (some of the cheapest gas you will find south of the beltway area), if you do not have to fill up in North Carolina DONT!....wait until SC and it will be cheaper....GA...southern GA is cheaper...FL...Jacksonville area has cheaper gas but it gets more expensive as you approach Daytona and points south. Virginia has rest areas that I have stopped at to close my eyes for a bit. I never felt good doing this in general but when you need to rest, make sure you rest. I did notice a strong VA state police presence at the rest stops so I am not sure if they have nighttime security and surveillance. Worse case scenario...pull off into a hotel parking lot and rest in the car there. Just make sure its not a sketchy place. Good luck with the job interview and have a safe drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel