Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:40 AM

633 posts, read 581,186 times

Advertisements

I rent out my place and one rule is to give the tenants nothing that will kill them or cause them to sue you. Garbage disposals, Blenders, Scuba Gear I would not give.

I also dont rent to folks with Pets or Smokers or groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 10:51 AM

633 posts, read 581,186 times
Actually I want your opinion on this. My town only allows rentals 30 days or greater. Main way they enforce it as it is a beach town with amazing beaches walking distance from every house/condo in town. The beach is free but you need a picture ID which to get you need a lease 30 days or greater and owner of property has to turn in his beach IDs.

I have put my place on VRBO/AiR BnB and put town has a "private resident only beach", "only leases greater than 30 days will I provide a beach pass". I am looking for 30 day or greater leases and will consider less only after talking to renter on the phone. Want to make sure they know they can't go on the beach that is walking distance. They can go to public beach three miles away.

Constantly I get folks who want to book for one week who think they can pay to get on beach, can sneak on beach, can borrow my beach ID, and some just dont believe it is a non-public beach for residents only. A few even get pushy.

I have some private beach clubs in town where folks who dont live in my town can join and sometimes stay in my place or I have folks with family or friends in town who can go on beach as a guest of for free. I will rent to folk like that short term.

One women even was saying you are 11 houses from the ocean, who is stopping me? I said well I am as you would be breaking the law and getting me in trouble.

Why do folks renting always "nest' so quick and think if they book a night in your house they are a resident. I once did a winter rental at my beach house and girl paid first rent check with my address as return address and when something broke she said can you come over to fix something in "my" house.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:49 AM

97 posts, read 138,774 times
Hi FBB - I have not personally experienced what you are referring to - you might get better responses starting a new thread under a new subject line. That being said, I am a rule follower - if a rental was in a town with private beaches that didn't allow access to short term renters, I just wouldn't rent there. I am looking to buy in Hawai'i (Big Island). One of the great things about Hawai'i is that there are no private beaches. Big resorts, private communities, etc. must provide a public access point to any beach they front.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:44 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
The right location. Obviously, that depends on what the people want or expect to do.

Clean! Well maintained is important, too. A shabby looking place with broken things won't do.

A half decent kitchen. Cooking isn't really my idea of a good time, but I want to be able to make something.

A grill

Washer and dryer. I can stay for a week in a place without them, but longer than that, and it's a nuisance.

Basic cleaning supplies. At one apartment, we had to go to the hardware store and buy a couple of things.

Single family home or cottage, though I've stayed in two unit places and been happy with them.

Some sort of porch or deck.

Near the beach, I'd want an outdoor shower to rinse off sand before going inside.

I always thought that it was a nice touch to have some books on local history, a deck of cards, tape, scissors, and other odds and ends.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:33 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
A fireplace is great but skip the wood! Many people just want the ambiance and not the work - also, lots of people don't even know how to start a fire or keep it going. Keeping a supply of wood stocked might be tough as well, but absolutely required if it was wood burning. When I'm on vacation all I want to do is to flip a switch!

Old 11-10-2016, 07:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
While the last place we rented (for 8 people) was clean and had plenty of room, the appliances were as old as dinosaurs. We timed the coffee machine and it took 25 minutes to fill. Ridiculous in this day and age. The dishwasher was the old push button type. The fridge was ok, but old also.

Since most places don't allow smoking inside, at least provide a small table and some decent chairs outside on the deck (if you allow smoking on the deck) Oh, and if you don't provide an ashtray, chances are that people will use one of the kitchen cereal bowls... just sayin.

TV's in every bedroom is good.
A bathroom for every bedroom is good too.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:42 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Two bathrooms if more than two people sharing, or at least one bathroom and a separate toilet.
Cleanliness
Privacy so usually a house in the countryside or near a lake.
Heating as its cold most nights here
Preferably a fenced garden for the dog. oh and dog friendly.
Beautiful scenery from the cottage .
Places of historic interest to visit.

IM not into luxury with a swimming pool or jacuzzi, this is more my sort of thing and not too expensive Dalbeathie Cottage (ref SPPL) in Dunkeld | Scottish-Country-Cottages

Old 11-10-2016, 11:32 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
A fireplace is great but skip the wood! Many people just want the ambiance and not the work - also, lots of people don't even know how to start a fire or keep it going. Keeping a supply of wood stocked might be tough as well, but absolutely required if it was wood burning. When I'm on vacation all I want to do is to flip a switch!

I would be absolutely terrified to have a wood burning fireplace in a rental. People generally do NOT know how to make a fire ... or they use lighter fluid.

A gas fireplace generally gives you the same heat and ambiance with a fraction of the risk.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:35 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Safe location, close to beach, internet, swimming pool and no dogs on property.
Change that to Pet Friendly and that would suit me fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel