Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 AM

476 posts, read 1,135,045 times

Advertisements

A few tourists went on an unfenced safari in Botswana and awoke to lions licking the morning dew from their tent. The campers kept enough composure to remain quiet and take video from within the tent.

Tourists Awake to Lions Licking Water off Tent

I've camped on an unfenced reserve. You're assured that animals recognize tent structures as solid objects, just as any other building. Part of the experience is animals passing through camp and you accept the risks. Still, I would have been frozen solid with terror in this situation.

Made me wonder, what's the scariest, most dangerous or most unsettling situation you've found yourself in while on vacation? How did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 12:10 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
Made me wonder, what's the scariest, most dangerous or most unsettling situation you've found yourself in while on vacation? How did you handle it?
My boat nearly overturning in Lava Falls during a Grand Canyon river rafting trip. There wasn't much to handle; just high-side for all I was worth and hope the oarsman could regain control of our dory before we all ended up in the drink. (He did, but it was a terrifying few seconds!)

Old 11-25-2016, 12:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,860 times
Pales in comparison but when in San Diego got on a crotch-rocket with a complete stranger at the wheel and got that thing up to 130mph+.
Nothing went wrong and can.t give more details but just so young, and oh, so naive.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:14 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
When I was working in the housing projects of Detroit, we decided to take a trip to Northern Ontario. We had recently purchased a great book - The Ghost Towns of Ontario - and left for some exploring.

We found several ghost towns and took a few pictures. When we were looking for the fourth town, we were waved down my a shotgun-toting local demanding to know why we were there. We were told basically to turn around and leave the 't in area. I wasn't in a good position to argue.

I was working in one of the most crime-ridden areas at the time and where do I get a shotgun pointed at my head. In gun controlled Canada. Go figure.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:04 PM

604 posts, read 856,813 times
While working in Dar es Salaam a couple years ago I hired a bajaj driver to take me to a place called the Slipway on Msasani Bay that has restaurants and shopping. It was only a few miles from my hotel and sounded like a fun place to spend the evening. I had hired drivers to go places or just ride down the beach and didn't think much of it.

As we were tooling down the mostly-deserted street, two guys on a dirt bike pulled up next to us. They were in army-green fatigues with no insignia anywhere but they both had AKs slung over one shoulder, and they pointed them in our direction as the passenger motioned my driver to pull over. I didn't know if they were interested in the driver or in me so as we rolled to a stop I prepared to make a run for it. They pulled the driver out with barely a glance at me. As it turned out, they were traffic police who were shaking my driver down because he didn't have a license. While they were busy with the driver I oozed out the other side of the vehicle and jogged the half-mile back to my hotel without so much as a backward glance and ordered Indian food from the hotel restaurant for dinner instead.

I mentioned this to a State Department coworker the next morning and she was horrified. Not because of the traffic stop, but because the Slipway was turning into a place to rob tourists and someone she knew had gotten stabbed there a couple weeks prior. Maybe it's just as well I never made it.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:09 PM

67 posts, read 41,318 times
Hotels, if not looked after, could contain numerous hazards, as 10.3% surveyed attested to. Falling down an uneven staircase, getting food poisoning in the restaurant and slipping on a wet floor are all possible causes of accidents in holiday accommodation. LOL.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:03 AM

476 posts, read 1,135,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alices00ze View Post
Hotels, if not looked after, could contain numerous hazards, as 10.3% surveyed attested to. Falling down an uneven staircase, getting food poisoning in the restaurant and slipping on a wet floor are all possible causes of accidents in holiday accommodation. LOL.
I stayed in a hotel with a small kitchen, modest suite. I opened a kitchen drawer looking for spoons and saw 3 used hypodermic needles rolling around in the drawer.

Ever had an odiferous filthy possibly homeless person sit next to you, brush shoulders with you or cough on you? There is this, admittedly politically incorrect, involuntary icky uncomfortable feeling of exposure, without understanding what you've been exposed to.

I felt that, mixed with indigence. Hightailed it outta there.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
The scariest moment I have had while traveling was in Beijing. I always research places before I visit, and I make sure to learn a few words of the language, gain a rough understanding of the layout of the city, familiarize myself with the local currency...that sort of thing. Beijing was just supposed to be a layover, so I didn't do any research since I was only going to be in the airport. Well, a 4 hour layover stretched into a 3-day stay due to a flight cancellation. The first two days a couple of fellow students and I shared cabs to the city center just to wander around and enjoy this impromptu mini-vacation after our semester abroad.

Our flight departed on the third day, and the other students decided to spend their last few hours re-packing and relaxing instead of going out into the city again. I wanted to pack in every second I could, so I grabbed a taxi on my own. By this point I was relatively familiar with the route between the airport hotel and the city center. The outbound journey was just like the others, but the return veered far off the standard route into an area that seemed almost rural. I was terrified that the driver was going to rob and/or assault me on this lonely road. I had absolutely no way of communicating with him and no idea where in relation to the hotel I might be. I considered bailing out of the car when he stopped briefly for a traffic signal, but decided that wouldn't do me any good since there was no one else around to assist me and I lacked the linguistic ability to ask anyone for help anyway. After two to three times as long as the trip had previously taken, we finally pulled up to the hotel from the opposite direction as usual. Turns out he was just running up the meter! I was never so relieved and happy to pay an inflated fare in all my life!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:22 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Sitting at a pitch black train station in Chicago waiting on a train to go back to Great Lakes Naval Base after a Cubs game.

Train finally arrives, right on time, and I swear we all thought it was going to blow right through the station. It barely wanted to stop.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:14 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,980,501 times
Indian Taxi Driver from "Washington Flyer cabs" from Dulles airport literally threw my mother and me out of the cab when we got to our hotel because we forgot to pay the tip. He kept saying "this is America, not your country, this is America" and I kept thinking "well it's obviously not going to be Europe is it? I just got off a 7 hour flight!".

We tried to give him a tip when we realised what he was whining about but he threw the money back at us.

I was going to phone the police because I thought he was going to start attacking us, he was that explosive. Everyone sitting in/around the hotel driveway was staring at him/us, it was mortifying.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/washingto..._source=ishare

Last edited by GymFanatic; 11-28-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel