Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 03:50 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I had to do this once in downtown Los Angeles in addition to speaking Spanish.......

Ironically the Mexican beach resorts are some of the best international destinations for English-only tourists. Everyone seems to speak English in Cancun.
any and every "beach resort" on the planet Earth will be a destination for English speakers. Any resort period...any tourist destination period...basically any place on this planet where a local can make a buck out of a visitor from another country, doesn't matter what country, you will have no problem with English...

But it's funny, yeah, I've had difficulties with language in Miami, and with the heavily accented English in Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 02:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,742,330 times
Singapore is probably the most over priced and boring country to travel to. I just don't understand why people keep doing that. Singapore and Korea are the least interesting places to visit in Asia.

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, all bunch of boring countries with very high prices. You get 3 times the fun for half the price travelling in Portugal or Spain. The fact people even go to see Sweden is mind boggling, to do what exactly, practice American English?

Old 11-26-2016, 09:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
any and every "beach resort" on the planet Earth will be a destination for English speakers. Any resort period...any tourist destination period...basically any place on this planet where a local can make a buck out of a visitor from another country, doesn't matter what country, you will have no problem with English...

But it's funny, yeah, I've had difficulties with language in Miami, and with the heavily accented English in Southern California.
Funny you say this. When I was flying out of MIA last month, the TSA agent spoke to me in Spanish. I knew what to do so it didn't matter, but I encountered more Spanish speaking people in Miami than English!

Old 11-26-2016, 12:05 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Who said anything about not visiting english speaking countries? How provincial of you. And you can, and will, have language barriers with some of the countries on the list. You remind me of the folks I know who think they're world travelers because they've been to Italy and France, and have no desire to go anywhere else. After all, UK drives on the other side of the road. Can't do that. Or the folks that will only do organized tours. But your loss.
LOL. I said nothing about MY preferences, or where I have been. There's a long list, and certainly not all English speaking. But my post was about your disdainful tone in your post about those that wanted to avoid language barriers - it had NOTHING to do with my own travel experiences. Looks like you just prefer the view on your high horse.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:59 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. I said nothing about MY preferences, or where I have been. There's a long list, and certainly not all English speaking. But my post was about your disdainful tone in your post about those that wanted to avoid language barriers - it had NOTHING to do with my own travel experiences. Looks like you just prefer the view on your high horse.

There are no short legged horses available on C-D forums.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:58 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,156,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Singapore is probably the most over priced and boring country to travel to. I just don't understand why people keep doing that. Singapore and Korea are the least interesting places to visit in Asia.

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, all bunch of boring countries with very high prices. You get 3 times the fun for half the price travelling in Portugal or Spain. The fact people even go to see Sweden is mind boggling, to do what exactly, practice American English?
Japan is probably the most over priced and boring country to travel to. I just don't understand why people keep doing that. Japan and Burma are the least interesting places to visit in Asia.

Portugal, Spain, all bunch of boring countries with bad food. You get 3 times the fun travelling in Denmark, Sweden, Norway. The fact people even go to see Spain is mind boggling, to do what exactly, practice Spanish?

Old 11-28-2016, 03:57 PM

605 posts, read 671,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I don't know how a city with an anarchist/hippie commune located in the center can be boring but to each their own I guess?

Also Stockholm is arguably one of the prettiest cities in the world and I can say that after traveling all over Europe/Latin America.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:51 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Funny you say this. When I was flying out of MIA last month, the TSA agent spoke to me in Spanish. I knew what to do so it didn't matter, but I encountered more Spanish speaking people in Miami than English!
I found that out by watching Fist 48.

Seems most of the neighborhood witnesses to murders have to be questioned in Spanish.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:15 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
Default Your Mileage May Vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Portugal, Spain, all bunch of boring countries with bad food. You get 3 times the fun travelling in Denmark, Sweden, Norway.
Whoa.

Have you checked the booze prices in the Nordic countries? Pretty important to some of us alcoholics?

Portugal and España have wonderful food. I loved tapas everywhere in España. I love seafood so Portugal is for me. Oh, did I mention wine and ham?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:15 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,464,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Whoa.

Have you checked the booze prices in the Nordic countries? Pretty important to some of us alcoholics?

Portugal and España have wonderful food. I loved tapas everywhere in España. I love seafood so Portugal is for me. Oh, did I mention wine and ham?
He was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel