Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:44 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times

Advertisements

i didn't travel as much this year as i normally do, so i am about to lose my statuses on 2 hotels + 2 airlines (platinum level). anyway to extend it WITHOUT paying money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Never hurts to talk to your existing Platinum representative, (BEFORE you lose status) explain your situation, they can often grant you an extension.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
If one of them is IHG, they're pretty generous about 'partner points' (Virgin Atlantic points transfers, eRewards and e-miles surveys, the dining program, I think) posting as elite-qualifying.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
IHG often sent me an offer to extend Platinum with just 3 more stays in 2016 or something like that.

What I also did once was a status match with another (foreign) airline, which was also valid for one more year after match. In that case you do not extend your status but you will get another status from the same alliance and usually the same amenities. You may also want to check flyertalk on that.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
All depends on what airline/hotel. I can give you some tricks for Delta.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:19 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
All depends on what airline/hotel. I can give you some tricks for Delta.
AA/SW/Hilton/Marriott

Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
AA/SW/Hilton/Marriott
OK I can give one trick that may apply -
So many of these programs give you a boatload of points if you get there affiliated credit card when you first sign up. For Delta it's a Delta/AMEX credit card (the card does have an annual fee however). For me this bonus on joining was enough to get to the next level.

Now, also for Delta besides the joining bonus you can spend so many dollars on a card and also get points that apply to membership and may be the difference in getting to the next level. You can only spend so much on a card for retail purposes of course in day to day activities. The key here is how you churn money on these cards for big ticket purchases like your mortgage or car payments. Normally these financial companies will not accept payment by credit card. But there are 3rd party services (Plastiq is one company) that you can pay and they will cut a check to the mortgage company. They will usually require a fee for this service, maybe 2% or 3%, so just to get additional frequent flyer miles it probably is not worth it. But...if it makes the difference between the next level it may be worth it. For bumping Delta from Gold to Plat level it might be the difference between getting your 1st class upgrades on all your next year flights.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I've booked a cheap flight roundtrip in a day to keep status before. Flew about 100 miles each way just to get the segments. And did a one night hotel stay to keep current. But I was really close and that was all it took. May be worth investigating..or call them and see what they can offer.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I've booked a cheap flight roundtrip in a day to keep status before. Flew about 100 miles each way just to get the segments. And did a one night hotel stay to keep current. But I was really close and that was all it took. May be worth investigating..or call them and see what they can offer.
Ahhhh mileage runs. I used to see those talked about in FlyerTalk Forum - people finding cheap flights to like Singapore and flying them up and back just for the miles...no stop off, just getting off plane and hopping back on. Talk about gluttons for punishment. But I am not sure they really work anymore as Delta works on combined mileage based on price of ticket and total dollars spent, and all major airlines have adapted this revenue based formula.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:10 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ahhhh mileage runs. I used to see those talked about in FlyerTalk Forum - people finding cheap flights to like Singapore and flying them up and back just for the miles...no stop off, just getting off plane and hopping back on. Talk about gluttons for punishment. But I am not sure they really work anymore as Delta works on combined mileage based on price of ticket and total dollars spent, and all major airlines have adapted this revenue based formula.
I think that while the miles you accrue are less, the segments or MQM's or whatever the airline calls them tend to count the old way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel