Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times

Advertisements

My next international trip I plan on visiting Budapest. Most likely fly into Munich, train to Vienna, stay a few days, then train to Budapest.

I did Prague last year and absolutely loved it. Beautiful, walk-able, and so much history. Went in later Sept and weather was perfect. Sure, lots of tourists but it wasn't too crazy since we were past prime travel time. The best surprise was how reasonable the costs are, we had visited Edinburgh on the way there and it was at least 1/3 cheaper.

We did an airbnb in district 3, easy walking to the main areas. We did travel outside once for a day trip to Kutna Hora, well worth the time and cost.

One of our greatest days was a Sunday afternoon walk and found this great park that had a Vegan festival going. It was a very small fee and it was wonderful to not be playing tourist with many local and interesting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 02:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Thanks for all the feedback! I can only plan 4 days in Eastern Europe so it isn't feasible to see both cities without rushing and I don't want to do that. Since it'll be at the end of June and 'high' tourism season, I think i'll do Budapest this time around and save Prague for a future visit outside the tourist crush. It's looking like i'll get a better deal on my flights and lodging in Buda as well (I'll be based in Lisboa). I'll definitely be going to Prague sometime in the future but not this time around.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:34 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
I think you're making a great choice, OP. You'll love Budapest, and four days will give you plenty of time to explore it.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:12 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Do both. The mention of Venice was interesting. I've been there in summer with the crowds and winter, with no crowds. Walking into St; Marks plaza and being the only one there is an unforgettable thing. Problem is most things, like restaurants, are closed.

Budapest or Prague? Why choose? They're not that far apart. Especially if you stop in Vienna on the way.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Do both. The mention of Venice was interesting. I've been there in summer with the crowds and winter, with no crowds. Walking into St; Marks plaza and being the only one there is an unforgettable thing. Problem is most things, like restaurants, are closed.

Budapest or Prague? Why choose? They're not that far apart. Especially if you stop in Vienna on the way.
Lack of time means I have to choose. I only have 8 days in Europe and 4 of those I have committed to my friends in Lisbon so I only have 4 days to myself. I don't want to run around like a demon 2 days in each and would rather spend 4 days in just 1 of the 2

I hear you and under normal circumstances I would allocate more time but I can't this time around.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
[quote=SummerFall;46618091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
.....Prague, I HAVE been to, and it is absolutely amazing! It's jaw-droppingly beautiful, the people are so nice and open to tourists, it's totally a walking city, and when I was there about 5 years ago it was very affordable..

QUOTE]

Ohhh I'm so happy to see this because I'm going to Prague in May of next year!!!
Same here! Maybe I'll see you there!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:37 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Lack of time means I have to choose. I only have 8 days in Europe and 4 of those I have committed to my friends in Lisbon so I only have 4 days to myself. I don't want to run around like a demon 2 days in each and would rather spend 4 days in just 1 of the 2

I hear you and under normal circumstances I would allocate more time but I can't this time around.
Well, you will definitely have fun in Lisbon! Great city!

Old 12-27-2016, 07:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I don't really know what to tell you, because I've never been to either. However my parents went to Prague recently and said it was one of their favorite places they have been to in Europe, only behind Athens.

We are actually going to Prague in a few months though!

I don't think you can go wrong with your choice between Prague and Budapest. I you choose Budapest you'll be happy you chose it and if you choose Prague you'll be happy you chose it. Maybe choose by seeing where you can get the coolest hotel for the best price or something like that.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Both are very interesting cities that are worth visiting. But they are really different in what they offer. Prague is the more upscale of the two. It was largely spared by World War II since Czechoslovakia surrendered to Germany without any fighting... All the beautiful buildings are well taken care of and the center of Prague is an open architectural museum. But I wouldn't go there in a summer as the historic center has very few trees and the river flowing through the town is relatively narrow and does not cool down the city too much. Prague is pretty expensive but still cheaper than major Western countries.

Budapest was nearly totaled in World War II during the siege by the Soviet Army. Most of the main buildings were either restored or rebuilt and they probably don't look the same as they used to. The Parliament building and the Opera building are the most beautiful in Pest, I would say. But Budapest offers a lot of outdoor activities that are not related to sight seeing. It has amazing mineral bath houses that I think everyone who is in Budapest should visit at least once. Buda part of the city is hilly and sparsely populated and thus offers miles of challenging hiking and perhaps mountain biking. There are even caves under Budapest and a few cave tours are offered. And you can spend hours just wondering along Danube and admitting the views and the bridges. So I think Budapest is a good choice for summer traveling. It is also a lot cheaper than Prague...

The only problem of course is the unpleasant government of Hungary. But the city is definitely worth visiting...

Old 12-29-2016, 07:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Budapest all the way, less hipster, cheaper and more temperate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel