Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:15 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I agree with DD714 that generally people travel to Africa for different reasons, but obviously I know nothing about the OP.

For a first time trip to the continent I would suggest an overland safari in Tanzania and/or Kenya. Followed up by a relaxing time on the beaches of Dar es Salaam. I spent a few days in Mombasa at a beach resort ..... after a day I was wishing I was still exploring the countryside. IMHO, Dar had more to offer.

Like DD714, I have had a few adventures but everything being equal East Africa offers the best bang for the buck. I have been there 5 times in the past 10 years and it still amazes me.

A safari sounds like it could be cool too. Is there not much to see in Mombasa? A safari could be very cool, they would be non-kill, right?

Did you like Dar es Salaam more than Mombasa? How do the two compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 08:32 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
There are tons of trips to Africa with G Adventures. https://www.gadventures.com

Someday I want to do one of their combination tours to Namibia, Botswana, and Zambia.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
How about a side trip to Mauritius? Never been, hear it is great for wildlife and beaches, Many of my Asia Friends vacation there (that could be +/-..)

OTHER readers. not OP...
for the Africa traveler that like the boonies, nature parks... a friend took a back country / dirt airstrip / village huts, 21 day trip with a private group that uses a vintage DC3. The itinerary, pics, experience was superb. You will have to do some searching, as I don't have the tour operator, but several of my friends did this and were very pleased.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Warm water is a must, so South Africa would probably be out of the picture. Definitely do want to do something safer though, if Africa does turn out to be more dangerous than we might bargain for we will probably end up doing Eastern Asia like Japan or Korea, but then she wouldn't get her tropical beach.
Thailand.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:58 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Cape Town has a gorgeous set of beaches on the Atlantic side: Clifton Beach(es). The water is cold, but swimmable in the summer (Dec, Jan, Feb). You can go over to the Indian Ocean side where the water is warmer, but the beaches aren't as lovely and there is a Great White Shark issue that always eats away at my contentment. The nice thing about Cape Town is that you don't have to worry about taking Malaria pills.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:32 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
There is a "but" : I've seen a video of a man shot point blank in the street in Khayelitsa by a thief (the guy died). Frightening. What is today the reality the security issues in the Cape province ? (not even speaking of the rest of SA). I have conflicting messages on the subject and it's preoccupying.
Yeah, I have seen statistics where it says Cape Town's violent crime rate is higher than Johannesburg's.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think also Tunisia and Algeria are relatively stable countries that have cities and beaches. But are you sure you don't want to try this trip on other continents? Like for example Europe, Asia, Americas, Australia, Antarctic...
They want to go to Africa, why is that strange?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
It isn't my reason to travel there. I like cities and very different places. My wife loves tropical beaches.

I'm trying to find a place where I could go in Africa where I could see somewhere new and different, that'd still be relatively safe and also convince my wife that there are beautiful beaches so she'd be on board.

For that reason I was thinking Mombasa, Kenya.
I get it, I'm married, it's like a compromise with the wife. Been there.

I think for Africa you almost have to like split your time then into half a beach resort type vacation...in Africa that has to be in one of the sterilized exclusive resorts on the med. The problem with those places, they are safe, but no culture and you will hardly even know you are in Africa (not to mention dealing with the overweight German guy in a speedo). Then for the second half you can head to a city. But once again it's a bit stereotypical but the allure of Africa comes in the wildlife (safari), geography (Sahara, Atlas Mtns, Drakensburg in SA), or in ancient ruins (Egypt) and NOT in its cities.

Not familiar with Kenya but my choices would be:
1.) The well known beach resort of Sharm on Egypt's Red Sea, then head over to Cairo - overcrowded and polluted, but rich with history. Not as dangerous as people make it out to be.

2.) Choose a South Africa beache (limited season however), maybe some time in Cape Town but if I were you I would rent a car and drive over to Kruger National Park. South Africa is very user friendly for tourists. Stay out of the townships and big cities, particularly Josburg, and you will be safe.

3.) Just chose one of the islands - Canaries for instance. Both a beach and safe city all in one area, and you can island hope to other islands in the chain. Very safe but full of tourists. Mauratis maybe but I have never been there.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:15 PM

361 posts, read 385,388 times
Quote:
A safari sounds like it could be cool too. Is there not much to see in Mombasa? A safari could be very cool, they would be non-kill, right?

Did you like Dar es Salaam more than Mombasa? How do the two compare?

I know what I'm suggesting here is not really what you asked about but ................. IMHO a safari in East Africa with a few days on a beach in Mombasa or Dar es Salaam is the best reason to go to Africa. Nothing beats eating breakfast in an open-topped Land Rover with a pride of lions surrounding you.

I liked Dar a lot better than Mombasa, maybe it was just my mood but Dar seemed more "exotic" with nicer beaches. Plus in Mombasa we were constantly harassed by hawkers on the beach, to the point of ruining the day.

The safaris we went on were non-kill, in fact hunting is outlawed in Kenya. For what its worth I enjoyed the game drives in Kenya more than Tanzania.

Have the best New Year!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times
Cape Town, DEFINITELY! All the Interesting you can handle! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEh5JpoH9qo

Think of it as Detroit with Beaches! http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...a230c95e836c6d

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 12-29-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel