Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 08:36 AM

214 posts, read 330,114 times

Advertisements

I am looking into going on a solo US road trip. I was thinking of either going from Deep South/South (Tennesse, Texas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma etc) through the American West (Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Phoenix etc) finishing in California, maybe even making my way up to Alaska. Would it be best to hire a camper van, or hire a car and stay at motels/airbnb as I go through. I am thinking airbnb would be a bit harder and less spontaneous.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:54 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Are you really young? When I was young, I love long drive but not anymore.

Driving from Deep South to California takes weeks, if you want to stop often to explore each region. I did a road trip from Houston to Los Angeles ten years ago, it's okay, but I won't do it again.

There's practically little to see in Deep South. I think going from New Mexico to California might be a better choice.

Driving to Alaska? It's not realistic for most people, but maybe it's your thing?

Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I think it's a choice of either the "deep south" OR "the American West to california". I'm using quotes because I don't think those descriptions fit the details very well.

I've visited and lived in both areas. Personally, if the goal of trip is scenery, I'd say the SW. If the goal is famous places to see in terms of museums, Estates like the Biltmore, historic stuff from the Civil War, AND your okay with some pretty winding mountain roads, I'd say the "deep south".

In either case, unless you've got 3-6 MONTHS for either tour, it's too m7ch. Got two weeks? Pick one or two states and have a good time.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
BUY a camper van, (renting is too expensive, you can buy very nice for $10,000 and resell for $10,000, or you can buy cheap for $3000 and resell for $3000) If you are creative and mechanical, buy a WVO Skoolie (Free fuel)
Get a National Parks Pass,
Follow routes on "Scenic Byways" (web site), and the 2 road food blogs
Seek special side trips such as Enchanted Highway, Regent, North Dakota
Follow the routes through Natural Hot Springs (good places to overnight and meet people)

occasionally stay with private guest homes (free to $20 / night WW) BTDT for 30 yrs
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

join Servas.org BEFORE you leave your home country
Staying with local people really enhances your trip! (They know all the good / fun / cheap / free places to visit and eat) While in UK, they often use their National Trust passes to show us around. And they have FAR more knowledge of history (and time to share it) rather than the clerk at a hotel desk.

BTW: Many people drive to AK, it just takes time. I know several who have done it on their Motorcycles (several times). Take the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry out of Bellingham, WA and camp on deck.

For long distances in BORING USA, I prefer to drive it at night under a full moon. I often drive at night, cooler (No AC required), less traffic, faster (less cops), better on your vehicle (less heat), (Professional Lorrie Driver). Can always nap under a tree during day. Many city parks (in rural USA) and fairgrounds (A&P shows) allow camping and have showers. https://freecampsites.net/
http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
http://www.boondocking.org/

Enjoy USA scenic spots early in morning and late in afternoon / evening (While families are eating). Especially National Parks (heavy traffic midday).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-01-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 09:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I am looking into going on a solo US road trip.

Would it be best to hire a camper van, or hire a car and stay at motels/airbnb as I go through.
I would love to hear your thoughts.
Given the amount of time required to do this trip properly... it might be worth BUYING a used car.
The camper vans aren't very practixal for in city use let alone the fuel costs.

Next up is OKC or POF etc to find a suitable someone to go with... on your dosh.
Ideally she'll already have the basic camping gear needed in addition to an appropriate car.

Drive 300-500 miles at a time then settle in somewhere for a few days and poke around.
Rinse & repeat.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:55 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BUY a camper van, (renting is too expensive, you can buy very nice for $10,000 and resell for $10,000, or you can buy cheap for $3000 and resell for $3000) If you are creative and mechanical, buy a WVO Skoolie (Free fuel)
Get a National Parks Pass,
Follow routes on "Scenic Byways" (web site), and the 2 road food blogs
Seek special side trips such as Enchanted Highway, Regent, North Dakota
Follow the routes through Natural Hot Springs (good places to overnight and meet people)

occasionally stay with private guest homes (free to $20 / night WW) BTDT for 30 yrs
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

join Servas.org BEFORE you leave your home country
Staying with local people really enhances your trip! (They know all the good / fun / cheap / free places to visit and eat) While in UK, they often use their National Trust passes to show us around. And they have FAR more knowledge of history (and time to share it) rather than the clerk at a hotel desk.

BTW: Many people drive to AK, it just takes time. I know several who have done it on their Motorcycles (several times). Take the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry out of Bellingham, WA and camp on deck.

For long distances in BORING USA, I prefer to drive it at night under a full moon. I often drive at night, cooler (No AC required), less traffic, faster (less cops), better on your vehicle (less heat), (Professional Lorrie Driver). Can always nap under a tree during day. Many city parks (in rural USA) and fairgrounds (A&P shows) allow camping and have showers. https://freecampsites.net/
Free Campgrounds – Advice about free and cheap RV camping
Boondocking (Free Camping)

Enjoy USA scenic spots early in morning and late in afternoon / evening (While families are eating). Especially National Parks (heavy traffic midday).
You drive at night, so you sleep during the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel