Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times

Advertisements

In other words, when you visit other states/cities/towns/swamps/deserts, etc, what experience has stood out for you?
Before I visited NOLA (sorry for the sickening reptition of my admiration for this town, everyone), one of my top experiences was a flight in a B-17 Warbird, in Galveston.
It meant a lot, as I'd always wanted to do this, but, being winter, I thought no 'birds' would be flying. It was exceptional. If you're ever in Galveston, visit the flight museum (if you're a flight enthusiast).
I guess this is about being a tourist in your country...what has been a highlight for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:13 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Hawaii, Las Vegas and Orlando

Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 AM

Thats great, but as well as place names, I'm really eager to know what it was about a place that made it special for you. It's not about 'good' or 'bad', but what worked for YOU. We're all different, so what works for some, will be pure hell for others. I want to know what it was about a place that made it memorable for you.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Hawaii- distinct culture, paradise setting
Alaska (via cruise route)- untouched, memorable
Las Vegas- eye-opening, crazy, everchanging
Texas- great place to take in a state's strong pride
San Francisco- very cultured, totally interesting
New York City- not my favorite place but there's no other place like it
Chicago- full of excitement
Atlanta- a great Southern city

Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Hawaii- distinct culture, paradise setting
Alaska (via cruise route)- untouched, memorable
Las Vegas- eye-opening, crazy, everchanging
Texas- great place to take in a state's strong pride
San Francisco- very cultured, totally interesting
New York City- not my favorite place but there's no other place like it
Chicago- full of excitement
Atlanta- a great Southern city
I pretty much agree with most of your list.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
For me there has been scores of places that have made some great memories. I had been blessed with being born to parents who loved to get out and travel around the country. By the time I was in high school I had been to most of the states, and when I went out on my own into the world, I have continued to travel. While I have been to all the "normal" spots to visit, I really love the tiny out of the way spots that people don't go to unless they have family there somehow. For me the most memorable experience was in a tiny wide spot in the road in Colorado. I don't know the name of the "town" and can only give a rough estimate of where it is if needed to.

I stopped at the one gas station and filled up. When I walked into the building to pay, I was greeted by a scene right off of a Norman Rockwell painting. Couple of old timers sitting around a barrel playing checkers, drinking Dr. Peppers; with a couple of younger guys sitting around in the background kicked back in their chairs talking and laughing. When I walked in one of the older guys told me to just "chuck the money by the till, grab a drink from the cooler and seat" Then added if I wanted to of course. So I chucked the money on the counter, grabbed a cold Pepsi and sat down. The old timer said it was to hot to be outside and too hot to be driving so I could sit back and enjoy some company for a bit or be on my way if I was in a hurry. That was the best couple of hours I have spent ANYPLACE. Ended up helping a couple of them load a bull on a trailer, then had some Bar-B-Que with the neighboring farms, as a thank you for helping with the bull. They made a total stranger feel like a part of their community and were the friendliest group of folks I have ever met anywhere. I almost hated to leave, but did have to get back on the road. Stopped for gas and didn't leave town for close to 7 hours later. Got to love that!

There have been MANY "best" experiences while traveling this country and the common thread that is the same no matter where they happened, has been the people. We have some GREAT people out there in our beautiful country. My personal best times have been unexpected places, and unplanned on my part, but they all involve some great local people in those areas.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 AM

287 posts, read 1,027,701 times
I really like visiting places where you end up having an untouristy experience. So my favorite trip ever was to Savannah. I was there for my cousin's wedding, but due to unfortunate cancelled flights and lack of effort on my part I ended up staying a couple days later. I don't know how exactly it happened, but many different people mistook me for a student at the Savannah College of Art and Design and kept inviting me to parties there. I'm not generally the person who goes to the parties of random strangers, but I sure as hell did then. It was a blast.

Plus there was like a few pretty houses there and stuff.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
San Francisco was a blast. It's such a cool, unique city. The diverse cultural experience is great, and I love pretty much everything about the Bay Area. Great recreation opportunities in the summer too.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I stopped at the one gas station and filled up. When I walked into the building to pay, I was greeted by a scene right off of a Norman Rockwell painting. Couple of old timers sitting around a barrel playing checkers, drinking Dr. Peppers; with a couple of younger guys sitting around in the background kicked back in their chairs talking and laughing. When I walked in one of the older guys told me to just "chuck the money by the till, grab a drink from the cooler and seat" Then added if I wanted to of course. So I chucked the money on the counter, grabbed a cold Pepsi and sat down. The old timer said it was to hot to be outside and too hot to be driving so I could sit back and enjoy some company for a bit or be on my way if I was in a hurry. That was the best couple of hours I have spent ANYPLACE. Ended up helping a couple of them load a bull on a trailer, then had some Bar-B-Que with the neighboring farms, as a thank you for helping with the bull. They made a total stranger feel like a part of their community and were the friendliest group of folks I have ever met anywhere. I almost hated to leave, but did have to get back on the road. Stopped for gas and didn't leave town for close to 7 hours later. Got to love that!

Thanks for sharing that fantastic experience, it's often the unexpected that makes a trip memorable.
F100, its good to know Alaska is still relatively untouched, I hope to get there one day.
Most people we met in the States have been o/s, but it's such a vast and incredible country, I don't blame anyone for not leaving it!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I just loved visiting Charleston, S.C. The people there were extraordinarily friendly and helpful, taking time to ask us questions before giving out recommendations for restaurants, things to do and see, etc.

While I'm not usually one for trolley or bus tours, when in Boston I took a trolley tour. There were about four other people on the trolley (it was an early spring weekday), and the trolley driver was a college student/standup comedian. He was a total blast, pointing out lots of non-traditional and un-touristy attractions/points of interest. It was the highlight of my visit!

Maggie Valley, N.C., was another memorable stop. Once again, the people were friendly and helpful, and weren't too busy to strike up conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel