Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
So far, the one "Low Cost" carrier, Southwest, is still heads above ANY of it's competitors! The "add on" scam originated with Southwest' competitors, now everyone is in on the scam.

Even the hotels in Las Vegas are subscribing to the "Add On" scam: Discounted room rate $49.00, mandatory "Resort Fee" $35.00! Now, they are charging for parking! There is a solution to the "Add On" scam; simply refuse to patronize those businesses that have adopted the practice.
Why is charging parking an "add on"?

Providing parking spots constitutes a cost to the hotel. If you need parking, then you should pay for it. If someone who doesn't need parking, then the hotel doesn't charge for that. The hotel doesn't offer anything really "for free". If the parking is free, that's because everyone including those who don't need it, are paying it for you.

It is funny that people don't understanding budget airlines/hotel rooms are simply a result of "unbundling". They charge a lower price for bareback service without all the nice things (free bags, free parking, free meals, etc,) peope feel entitled to, and only those who want them will pay for them. This saves the airline labour costs and it is how they come up with lower price for ME - but only for those are can do with bareback service.

However, many of us, when choosing the lowest possible price, still expect the add-on things for free, and when businesses charge for them, they are outraged calling it "scams". For christ's sake, if you want everything you are used to, just go fly a regular airline!

For example, I almost always travel with only one small carry-on bag, and I always do the checkin online and print out my boarding pass, so I am happy that I am not charged cost associated with chech in bags, and counter check in services. In fact, I don't have to interact with the crew at all before boarding. This is why the offer me lower prices.

However, if you want and need all those things, if you always have two 20 lbs bags, have to sit next to the window and next to your family, have to have drinks/snacks on flight, you can't expect airlines to offer them for free because the base fare doesn't cover these costs. The airlines have costs to cover and they need to make a profit too.

Unbundling is great because people like me wouldn't be forced to share the costs for the services that I don't need. It is bad for those who want those service because it is them and themselves alone who are paying for them, not every single passenger on the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
[quote=HappyRider;47083777]Until last week, I hadn't even heard of Spirit so when it came on top on Expedia I took notice. Flying round trip to LAX from PHL for $489 for two seemed like a bargain until you start paying attention. Checked bags $40 per passenger ($100 if checked at the gate) so we decided to take just one piece. But then you start hitting the weight limit (40lb). That's 15lb per person if you take out the weight of the luggage itself. Then comes the seats. There are no free seats, which makes you wonder what are the tickets for. Cough up $22 a seat. Once you board you realize you are sitting on basically what amounts to jumps seats, non-reclining and impossibly close. Sitting 6 hours in those seats is positively a health hazard. And here is the kicker. On the return flight, we go through Atlanta. You are charged another luggage fee between Atlanta and Philly. To make a long story short, here s the breakdown of flying a "discount" airline.
  1. Original ticket price(2)- $489
  2. Luggage(PHL-LAX)-$40
  3. Seats(PHL-LAX)-$44
  4. Luggage(LAX-ATL-PHL)-$80
  5. Seats(LAX-ATL)-$110
  6. Seats(ATL-PHL)-$70
    Total...............$833

I am not counting the aggravation factor, the horrible web site that crashed multiple times and the nagging feeling of wondering if you are doing things EXACTLy as required. I am sure I could have gotten the same deal with a "real" airline. How they stay in business eludes me.QUOTE]

I have it all figured out - guys like you pay for it!

Last edited by kokonutty; 02-08-2017 at 04:59 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 05:49 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
If your luggage fee is $120, then I suggest shipping your stuff to its location.

My flight in May break down via Spirit:

LAX-CLE

Points 15,000 (easy to accumulate with normal shopping and 3 kids. I put property taxes and other large purchases on their card and then pay off from checking account).

Taxes $26
Seats: $100 (paid for front row each way)

$126 total roundtrip.

Their point season doesn't reflect the price in dollars. Last fall I flew out for $224 rt and the points were the same if I had used them. This trip, it was $300 rt. Thus, if you have the points, use them when flying cost is higher. Late May, those points for this trip go to about 20,000 so you have to plan. It's on their site by the month so not hard to figure out.

Summer? I do not fly to CLE- just rebuild points for the next year.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
On the other hand, someone in the industry told me that flying Spirit can be a gamble -- since they have only a small number of daily flights between any two cities, if your flight should be canceled, you may have a very long wait for the next one, possibly the next day (and since their flights are so full, you might not be able to get on the next one either). And they don't have "interline" agreements, so other airlines won't honor your Spirit tickets. If you're able to put up with those risks, and know about the extra charges, yeah their fares are low.
We've considered taking Allegiant a few times, but its the same problem with them. They only fly twice a week, so if the flight gets canceled, your waiting 3-4 days for another possible flight. And that is if you are able to get on the next flight along with everyone else who is also trying to get on that flight. I just don't want to risk wasting an entire week's vacation waiting on a plane, or getting stuck somewhere for an extra week.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:10 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would never fly them. It's absurd to charge for luggage - I know more and more airlines are charging for carry-ons now, but it's just another money-grab fee. If you are traveling, you clearly need to take clothing with you.

Just raise the damn ticket price and stop with all the incessant fees.
Just about all of them charge for luggage anymore- except for Southwest.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Just about all of them charge for luggage anymore- except for Southwest.
That's why so many people bring huge suitcases on board that are so heavy they can't even lift them into the overhead bin. Wait until airlines start having you put your carryon bag into that handy little sizer that's at every gate. 90 percent won't fit.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's why so many people bring huge suitcases on board that are so heavy they can't even lift them into the overhead bin. Wait until airlines start having you put your carryon bag into that handy little sizer that's at every gate. 90 percent won't fit.
I've seen gate agents use those when someone tries to bring on a bag that is too large. Its better for the passenger to be told before getting on the plane that their bag is too big, so they do not cause a back up in the aisle as they try to stuff their luggage into the overhead bin. Although that doesn't always solve the problem, since even luggage that is the correct size can be too heavy for the person to lift.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The sizers are commonly in use for a lot of regional jet flights with more limited bin space.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Crap airline. I can't tell you the horror stories I've heard. I'll stick with SW or United

Old 05-09-2017, 07:18 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
This is an appropriate post to bring this thread back up.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-cal...opstories.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel