Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:44 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,319,410 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I am planning a roughly 2-weeks trip roadtrip within California and I am currently roughly designing the route. I will fly into LAX but pick up a car there and probably will NOT stay very long in the metro area. This time, I am not into bigger cities (LA, SFO, San Diego etc), been there, done that. I am rather into nature, national parks, scenic landscapes, recreation, and some nice experiences.

This is how the route looks like so far: From LAX I will go north towards Sequoia, Kings Canyon NP, Yosemite, staying maybe two nights around Lake Tahoe Region, probably all the way up to Lassen Volcanic NP, then maybe continue to Oregon, Klamath Falls (Crater Lake NP).

From there, I am considering driving towards the coast highway (which I did already back in 2010 all the way from Vancouver to L.A., but still enjoy to do it again probably), maybe the redwoods as well. IF there is time left at the end of the trip, I may also go towards Death Valley, 1-2 nights Vegas, but that is not a must have. I would rather stay north of LA, as I have been to Joshua tree NP, Palm Desert, San Diego region quite a lot.

Is there any other recommendation of nice places to visit during that trip, which is very roughly within those route? I am thinking of, for example, nice wineries (maybe with a hotel, is Napa area worth visiting, or is there a place to go for wine which is less crowded and more affordable?), nice or scenic places at the coasts or in the mountains, places that have special food, some nature sensation, a good lake-side resort to rest a couple of days. I enjoy driving, so some hours of detour are fine.

Please let me know your ideas.

Many thanks indeed,
DD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 2 days ago)

43,399 posts, read 44,120,956 times
Not sure why you are flying into LAX rather than SFO unless you are planning drive along coastal highway 1 from the L.A. Area. I would suggest during your drive north from L.A. visiting the beautiful Hearst Castle and its grounds. Also Carmel is a beautiful coastal town (with white sand beaches) to visit and many people enjoy visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,319,410 times
Thanks, I am flying into LAX because I found an incredibly good deal, SFO had no availability. Plus, maybe I can not avoid showing my gf some parts of Los Angeles.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 2 days ago)

43,399 posts, read 44,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Thanks, I am flying into LAX because I found an incredibly good deal, SFO had no availability. Plus, maybe I can not avoid showing my gf some parts of Los Angeles.
Okay. Also if you are interested in boardwalks, Santa Cruz has a decent one.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:19 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,862,390 times
Virginia city, NV is close to Lake Tahoe and is very unique. You feel like you are back in the wild west!

Old 02-10-2017, 09:09 AM

27,942 posts, read 29,788,320 times
Crater Lake is amazing if it doesn't take you too far out of your way.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 AM

2,482 posts, read 1,854,033 times
That's a lot to fit into two weeks. Make sure you're not overextending yourself or you'll be exhausted all the time.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,644 posts, read 57,702,312 times
Lava Caves (north of Lassen)
Oregon Cave National Monument (near Grant's Pass)
Diamond Lake / Umpqua River route (Crater Lake to Roseburg)
Brookings, OR (interesting coast, similar to NO CA (of course)
Samoa Cookhouse (Near Eureka, CA)
Leggett / Valley of Giants (best motorcycle road in USA between there and Redding)

Safety FIRST!
Remember to do scenic areas of left coast going SOUTHBOUND (if possible)
. no need to cross traffic for scenic turnouts

Sales Tax Free Oregon... Xmas shopping... Hope you are flying SWA ((2) free luggage each)
Costco has cheap fuel and $1.50 lunch

Remember to NOT touch a fuel pump in OREGON!!!
Gas is DANGEROUS and can only be dispensed by a highly trained pump jockey. (no training or previous experience required) Be sure to give them time to snuff out their cigarette.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:11 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,922,741 times
Have failed in several trips to California to get a chance to explore the San Andreas Fault to any great degree, although Highway 49 through the gold rush country offers some pretty nice evidence of the fault.

The desert are to the north of LA has some pretty dramatic evidence of the fault right at the surface and unencumbered by vegetation and other masks.

A little out of the way but some of these sites are easily accessible or just require a short hike.

The Great Wave: A Visit to the San Andreas Fault - Venue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrizo_Plain

San Andreas Fault Line - Fault Zone Map and Photos

Old 02-10-2017, 02:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,447,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I am thinking of, for example, nice wineries (maybe with a hotel, is Napa area worth visiting, or is there a place to go for wine which is less crowded and more affordable?)
I have been to both Napa and Sonoma (County). I would recommend exploring Sonoma County over Napa as it felt far more "authentic" to us. Napa and Sonoma (City) are highly touristy and I guess there's an argument to be made that you're able to see some really fantastic and well known wineries while there for just a short period.

That said, we enjoyed areas like Healdsburg, Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, and Geyserville much more. It's a more laid back feel, less hustle and bustle/tourists, just a friendlier atmosphere. Plus the wineries in these areas are among the best in the country though they may not be as well known (though many are). We especially liked the Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, and Dry Creek Valley areas. Also some fantastic restaurants in this area too.

Some names to look at in this area:

Jordan, Silver Oak, Dry Creek, Coppola & Ferrari-Carano to name a few of the bigger names.

Napa is fine. It's amazing actually. And it's the place everyone's heard of. But we are planning a trip back to that area in the next few years and I have no plans to visit Napa again. I'd much rather spend my time in the areas I mentioned above even though I've seen them already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel