Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,639,466 times

Advertisements

What's the difference between a Holiday Inn and an Express? In my experience, the Express hotels are actually nicer than the non-Express.

I've always had good luck with Hampton Inn, but La Quinta hotels are some of my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,952,920 times
These days I would vote for Comfort Inn before Holiday Inn Express (where I travel anyway). I stayed in a HIE recently and I was definitely not impressed vis a vis all the stays I have had at Comfort Inns over the past couple of years - but YMMV I guess. Could be the luck of the draw. Haven't stayed in a Hampton Inn for a while so can't really comment there.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,657,287 times
Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are described as 'limited service brands', which in the States means you get daily maid service, wifi, and average breakfast included and probably has a pool and small fitness room but doesn't include things like room service or three meals a day hotel restaurants.

Hampton Inn really only started in the mid-80, and Holiday Inn Express came a few years after that. Their advantage over Holiday Inn and Hilton tends to be 1) Newer buildings- some of the older Hiltons and Holiday Inns from the 1950s are a bit on the shabby side and 2) tighter branding and brand standards so the guest experience is more consistent from property to property.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,842,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'll admit a soft spot for what we call the Holiday Inn Express 3D pancake printer and the cinnamon rolls are yummy, if evil from a nutritional standpoint.
Amazing reproduction in those 3D pancake printers. I'll have to try the cinnamon rolls my next time.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,842,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are described as 'limited service brands', which in the States means you get daily maid service, wifi, and average breakfast included and probably has a pool and small fitness room but doesn't include things like room service or three meals a day hotel restaurants.
Thanks, that's interesting to note the differnce. Also, the Express commonly have meeting/conference rooms, the straight HI's not as much.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:33 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,411,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everyone, is Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express better?Are they about the same in your opinion?Which do you prefer?I have stayed at both and I cant tell much of a difference.I think Hampton is owned by Hilton.I am just a little confused on which one is better.Feel free to share your experiences with these two brands.They both seem consistent to me.
If you've stayed at both which one do you like better? What are you confused about? I've stayed at both and I like Hampton Inn better, hands down. But we all have different things that are important to us how can we tell you which one to like better?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,243,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
If you've stayed at both which one do you like better? What are you confused about? I've stayed at both and I like Hampton Inn better, hands down. But we all have different things that are important to us how can we tell you which one to like better?
I can not tell much of a difference between Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn....I was just wondering what most people preferred.I dont know which I like better.I like both.I have had pleasant experiences with both chains.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,985,761 times
I have the Hilton cc so I prefer to use that brand bc I can use points for the higher level properties. Holiday Inn (ihg) has less of those. I just stayed at Conrad NYC for free and it's a very nice place.
I've worked at a HIE and I feel like Hampton is cleaner and adheres to corporate rules more. Our place was full of family members and the housekeeping quality was low. Also, we would frequently be forced to lie to guests. I hated it.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,038,512 times
I stay at whichever is more convenient. However, we've been staying more at Red Roof Inn Plus for the pets stay free and the lower cost. Not fancy and not breakfast but when you stay for 3-4 days, we typically buy food for the room at the grocery store.

If I'm traveling solo, I just sleep in the car as I don't need the comfort of a hotel room. However, when the wife and kid are with me, we go for whatever is convenient. Depending on where you are, one might not have vacancy.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I can not tell much of a difference between Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn....I was just wondering what most people preferred.I dont know which I like better.I like both.I have had pleasant experiences with both chains.
I agree, they are both pretty equal. I will go with the lesser price of the two or if the HIE has a lounge, meaning I can check in and go relax with a glass of wine without having to leave the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel