Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times

Advertisements

I recently flew to Sacramento from Kansas City. I was screened through the 360 degree imaging machine. When I stepped out a TSA agent wanded and felt my left shoulder and asked me if I had pain in that shoulder. I was surprised and in a hurry and said no because I didn't.

When I got to the gate I thought about it. I had partially torn my left rotator cuff 12 years ago exactly where the agent patted and wanded. It still occasionally gives me grief if a big weather system comes through or if I overuse it. Is that machine capable of detecting that old injury?

Inquiring minds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 04:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
No.

These days they only use MMW scanners. The machine looks for objects that aren't your body and points them out on an image of a little cartoon person, with location of questionable content shown as a yellow circle. I can't imagine it picking up a soft-tissue injury.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:45 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
They can not detect injury but of course they may detect any metal parts in your body. Was there a suture anchor placed to repair the rotator cuff tear?

Old 02-13-2017, 01:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Maybe your movement in that shoulder wasn't as smooth or natural as the other.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:39 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
My husband broke his shoulder the day before he flew home a couple weeks ago. The same thing happened to him and it was exactly were the break wound up being. He didn't even know it was broken yet but I guess it can show swelling somehow.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:57 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Maybe your movement in that shoulder wasn't as smooth or natural as the other.
The scan doesn't detect movement.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I'm a fairly frequent flyer, and every.single.time. I went through the scanner, the back of my left knee would get flagged. I would often even tell the TSA agent before the image even came up on the screen. "Yep, I know. Back of my left knee, and you're going to have to pat me down. I know the routine." A couple of the agents came to recognize me and would just wave me by because they were used to it too.

Luckily, I have since gotten PreCheck, and don't have to go through the scanner anymore.

For the record, I've never had a knee injury or surgery. Other than a little extra fat, there's nothing special about the back of my left knee.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The scan doesn't detect movement.
No, but the security officer is watching the person too. They do more than just stare at a screen...I hope.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm a fairly frequent flyer, and every.single.time. I went through the scanner, the back of my left knee would get flagged. I would often even tell the TSA agent before the image even came up on the screen. "Yep, I know. Back of my left knee, and you're going to have to pat me down. I know the routine." A couple of the agents came to recognize me and would just wave me by because they were used to it too.

Luckily, I have since gotten PreCheck, and don't have to go through the scanner anymore.

For the record, I've never had a knee injury or surgery. Other than a little extra fat, there's nothing special about the back of my left knee.

I have PreCheck and the other day I was flagged for a random scanner screening.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
Both DH and myself have had problems with these machines. A pair of half moon shaped smiles showed up on my chest, apparently the TSA agent wasn't familiar with underwired bras. The same flight and the same machine showed a large patch just under his belt line ... full bladder anyone ?

In tests these machines and the agents failed to find mock weapons 95% of the time so I really wonder at their effectiveness the only thing they seem to do is to slow the line down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel