Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:35 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have no grudge against South Korea, None whatsoever. I neither love or hate Korea.

It is just from a tourism perspective, S Korea and Singapore are extremely dull with very low value for you buck.

Yes, any country can give a list on beautiful places to visit, and I am not saying Korea and Singapore have nowhere to go or see, it is just relatively speaking, both of them are very uninteresting.

You can't have "great day trips" from Singapore, because to do any day trip you will end up in Malaysia, everything of which is no longer what Singapore offers.

Yes, you can say it is all about personal preference, yeah, yeah, we all know. Rome or Istanbul are not any more interesting than Omaha or Saskatoon. It is ALL about personal preference. It is all subjective
Both are pretty clever with marketing. The hype makes them more interesting than they actually are. I went to S Korea and Singapore as stopovers to my true destinations and I think that was a wise decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 04:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Visas look cool in a passport anyways.

Not too worried about a visa, even if I need one. If they reject me from going to Europe... big deal, I buy a ticket to Asia.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
So my daughter is convinced that they will not enact this just before tourist season. They are just blowing smoke. Her son, husband and son's friends are booked for a July trip to Europe, so she's a bit worried, but not too much.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:55 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
And Korea, well, have fun. Maybe Singapore as well
Last time in Korea we spent a month, had a blast, and still didn't finish our list of things/places to see and food to eat. Will go back next time see a good airfare deal.

Quote:
The experience you get in Europe is not something you find elsewhere. It is definitely not what a trip to Thailand or Mexico or even UK can replace.
The experience you get in Thailand is not something you'd find elsewhere. If is definitely not what a trip to Europe can replace.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So my daughter is convinced that they will not enact this just before tourist season. They are just blowing smoke. Her son, husband and son's friends are booked for a July trip to Europe, so she's a bit worried, but not too much.
I don't get what they are a bit worried about. They are spending thousands on airfare and hotel, but the (extremely remote) possibility of needing to drop fifty bucks more for a visa causes concern? It is easy to **** that away on a taxi ride.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 PM

20 posts, read 13,782 times
Why shouldn't US citizens have to get a VISA or VISA waiver for other countries?

What makes US citizens so special that they feel they shouldn't have to have a VISA?

Most countries have to obtain a VISA waiver or VISA to enter the US, it's not hard to obtain if you're a lawful citizen of your own country. Most countries apply online and are accepted instantly at a cost of $14 for 2 years.

Europe and the EU should have the same method, it actually stops idiots from traveling.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePNE View Post
What makes US citizens so special that they feel they shouldn't have to have a VISA?
Reciprocity. Citizens of many countries don't need a visa to visit the United States for 90 days for tourism purposes, and in turn citizens of the United States don't need a visa to visit those countries for tourism.

As a citizen of the United States I feel I shouldn't need a visa because most Americans attempting to enter other countries for tourism purposes are exactly that. There is very low risk of it being an attempt to migrate, work illegally, have insufficient funds, expose the population to health risks from USA, etc. and with modern regulatory systems and electronic passports a visa just isn't needed. This isn't unique to Americans, it is same with citizens of many other countries where they aren't likely to be intent on anything but tourism if they say they are tourists.

Quote:
Europe and the EU should have the same method, it actually stops idiots from traveling.
I doubt it, never underestimate the determination of idiots.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:24 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,203 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't US citizens have to get a VISA or VISA waiver for other countries?
Most EU and some non EU Europeans get visa waiver to enter USA. So instituting a visa waiver for US citizens is the reciprocal thing for these countries to do.

But will they do it? As a whole these countries depend more on tourism from US citizens than US from these citizens. So if they institute a waiver how many might apply and get it and how many might forgo Europe for other countries. That is what they have to weigh before instituting visa waiver.

As for idiots - many of these might spend good money and you don't want to lose them.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
Why do people think that South Korea is boring or dull? Maybe people have just been to Seoul without knowing what to do. Well, it is certainly not for everybody but I love Korea, it has a good climate without the terrible heat and humidity of Southern Asian countries, while it is clean, safe and civilized, without any gold diggers or fraud and tourist scams. It offers great food and has a very nice landscape. The island Jeju for example offers extended hiking, nice beaches and drives, some museums, excellent hotels. Korea is one of the most underrated tourism destination in my opinion... but well, other people have other ideas of how to spend their vacations.

I do not think that US citizen need a Visa for Europe soon. Even though the European politicians act a bit stupid after being criticized for their devastating immigration policies, there is basically no reason to ban Americans, as the only reasons for them to visit Europe is either business or tourism, both contributing a lot to the European economy.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 13,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
As a citizen of the United States I feel I shouldn't need a visa because most Americans attempting to enter other countries for tourism purposes are exactly that.
I'm curious to know in figures, as you're so sure about yourself and this country.
The number of people who have travelled to the United States from the big countries in Europe and overstayed their welcome, stayed iligally and therefore avoided their right as a tourist.
Start with: UK, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark & France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
with modern regulatory systems and electronic passports a visa just isn't needed. This isn't unique to Americans, it is same with citizens of many other countries where they aren't likely to be intent on anything but tourism if they say they are tourists.

Can you please give me a list of all countries which don't require a VISA or VISA Waiver to enter the united states?

Just to give you a little help, I have listed 44 countries which require a VISA Waiver only.

Andorra, Hungary, Norway, Australia, Iceland, Portugal, Austria, Ireland, San Marino, Belgium, Italy, Singapore, Brunei, Japan, Slovakia, Chile, Latvia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein,
South Korea, Denmark, Lithuania, Spain, Estonia, Luxembourg, Sweden, Finland, Malta, Switzerland, France, Monaco, Taiwan, Germany, Netherlands, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Greece & New Zealand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel