Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM

20 posts, read 13,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Most EU and some non EU Europeans get visa waiver to enter USA. So instituting a visa waiver for US citizens is the reciprocal thing for these countries to do.
Citizens of all countries should have to apply for a VISA or VISA waiver to enter any other country - In my opinion.

Quote:
As a whole these countries depend more on tourism from US citizens than US from these citizens. So if they institute a waiver how many might apply and get it and how many might forgo Europe for other countries. That is what they have to weigh before instituting visa waiver.
I'm curious to know where this statement comes from and what facts you have to back up your argument.

Just as an FYI for you: The World Tourism Organization reports the following destinations as the top twelve tourism earners for the year 2015, with the United States by far the top earner.

Internation Tourist Receipts:
USA - $205 Billion
China $114 Billion
Spain $54 Billion
France $45 Billion
UK $45 Billion
Thailand $44 Billion
Italy $39 Billion
Germany $36 Billion.

Please don't let the facts ruin your argument though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:44 AM

2,687 posts, read 1,652,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePNE View Post
Citizens of all countries should have to apply for a VISA or VISA waiver to enter any other country - In my opinion.
I have not problem with it but certain countries decide that tourism money is worth doing away with visa or even visa waiver and its fee and just letting people in. Let EU decide what it wants to do

Quote:
I'm curious to know where this statement comes from and what facts you have to back up your argument.

Just as an FYI for you: The World Tourism Organization reports the following destinations as the top twelve tourism earners for the year 2015, with the United States by far the top earner.

Internation Tourist Receipts:
USA - $205 Billion
China $114 Billion
Spain $54 Billion
France $45 Billion
UK $45 Billion
Thailand $44 Billion
Italy $39 Billion
Germany $36 Billion.

Please don't let the facts ruin your argument though
The problem is that you have made USA in one country and EU in different countries. Since we are discussing USA visa versus EU visa let us keep the blocks together, shall we. If and when EU disintegrates into separate countries and each country institutes its own visa or visa waiver we can then compare international tourism of USA to separate European countries.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:57 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,623,927 times
Post 30 Million US tourists visit EU annually, many more than come to USA as tourists from EU

So the EU is considering requiring US citizens to have a Visa to enter any EU nation because we have concerns about visitors from 5 specific nations -- Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania are not on the US visa waiver list because so many of their citizens are rejected when they apply for a tourist visa to visit the USA.

If the EU starts requiring visas for tourists from the USA, we will start requiring visas for their citizens; instead of just those 5 nations, all EU citizen will need a visa for entry to the United States, and this will hurt the tourism industry in the EU much more than it will hurt the industry in the USA.
Quote:
The problem is that you have made USA in one country and EU in different countries. Since we are discussing USA visa versus EU visa let us keep the blocks together, shall we.
Exactly -- if you lump all the EU nations together, they have a lot more to lose from making it more difficult for US tourists to enter than vice-versa.

Quote:
Why? What's wrong with the current system?

I like traveling to nations where a US passports gives you quick entry just by showing proof of a return ticket dated less than 90 days in the future. The USA offers a reciprocal "No VISA" entry for short-term tourists from most EU nations, seems to work fine.

USA requires Visas from Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania because an unacceptable percentage of visa applicants from these nations are rejected when they do apply, so these nations do not qualify for the Visa Waiver Program.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM

I understand your point. However, what also isn't considered into the above stats is that most Europeans travel to other European Countries and therefore I assume most of venue comes from within Europe and not from USA.

My point is this, Europe is not dependant on USA for tourist money. Does it help? of course it does.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Why? What's wrong with the current system?
I guess my point is, it's not a big deal. It takes 2 minutes online to apply for and be accepted.

Quote:
I like traveling to nations where a US passports gives you quick entry just by showing proof of a return ticket dated less than 90 days in the future.
Of course you do, but what makes a US passport better than any other?

Quote:
The USA offers a reciprocal "No VISA" entry for short-term tourists from most EU nations, seems to work fine
AKA VISA Waiver. Which is waiving the right to have to obtain a VISA. This is what USA should need to enter Europe.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:49 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,723,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't get what they are a bit worried about. They are spending thousands on airfare and hotel, but the (extremely remote) possibility of needing to drop fifty bucks more for a visa causes concern? It is easy to **** that away on a taxi ride.
Exactly. The only thing that will cause American not to go is if the visa getting process is difficult. No one is going to balk at having to pay an extra travel fee, we accepted baggage fees and resort fees with a slight grumble and never fought back. Now if the process involves having to travel to a few select cities to drop off my passport and a bunch of personal information, I could see that giving people second thoughts, but most likely it will involve a visit to a website and a small fee like I had to do with my trip to Cuba last year. That process was so easy that it can't be described as nothing but a money grab.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM

4,563 posts, read 5,623,927 times
Post Poland is not eligible for VWP because too many Polish citizen's visa applications are denied by USA

Quote:
AKA VISA Waiver. Which is waiving the right to have to obtain a VISA. This is what USA should need to enter Europe.
Why? Participants in the Schengen Borders Agreement chose to allow visa-free travel for US Citizens for tourist and business travel under certain circumstances. That is their choice.

America's VWP is more restrictive, requires applying for ESTA in advance and paying a small fee -- if Schengen nations put in similar requirements for American visitors to the EU, they will see a further drop in tourism from the USA.

Quote:
Of course you do, but what makes a US passport better than any other?
US Citizens traveling overseas are highly unlikely to be rejected at immigration, nor to overstay a tourist visa. Some of the most common reasons the USA rejects Polish applicants are not having a stable job or staying too long on a past visa -- two factors which rarely apply to US citizens who visit the EU.

America's Visa Waiver Program allows visa-free tourism from most of the Schengen area, however due to the high rejection rate of visa applicants holders of a passport from Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania do not qualify for the VWP.

So the real question is, why do these 5 nations have an unacceptably high rejection rate? Should we look closer at the rest of the EU and remove additional nations from the VWP?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,970,334 times
Quote:
Let them whine about it if they like. In the end, they need our tourist dollars, and if they implement anything more onerous than Australia's "instant visa" at the airport, they may regret it as tourists find other easier destinations to visit.

People like to harp on how 64% of Americans don't have a valid passport, and only about 5% travel outside North America in any given year, but ignore how time consuming and expensive it is to fly from the USA to any other continent. Few people can take a solid week or longer off work to travel internationally. I'm lucky if I can make one such overseas trip a year.

Bottom line, if EU makes entry more difficult, I'm spending my effort (and money) on travel somewhere else, a nation that wants my business.
I've flown to New York (6 hours), spent 7 days there and then took a 5-hour flight back. Perfectly within a reasonable time frame.

There are certainly areas of America that are close enough to Europe where workers would be able to go and visit for a week/two without taking excessive time periods off. To say otherwise, is wrong.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Why? Participants in the Schengen Borders Agreement chose to allow visa-free travel for US Citizens for tourist and business travel under certain circumstances. That is their choice.
Correct! That is the current choice. The whole point of this thread about "feeling depressed" about the possibility of having to obtain a VISA or VISA waiver to enter Europe.

My point is this, although it seems we have gone slightly off track here:

If Europe or individual European countries opt for having a VISA or VISA waiver to enter the country, it shouldn't be a problem. It certainly shouldn't be a god given right, which if you read back on the earlier posts on this thread you will see that some US Citizens seem to think thats the case.

If the VISA or VISA waiver comes into play and you decide you're no longer going to visit that country because you have to apply for waiver then shame on you, because that's what most of the world has to do to enter this country.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,652,373 times
Depressed, outrage, it is more about :How dare you small EU! We are the rich, powerful, widely loved Americans, how can we be humiliated to apply for visas! Our USD is so powerful that it will be stupid for you not to welcome us under no conditions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel