Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! Don't know if anyone else has ever done this, but for me personally instead of counting down the months planning for the big vacation, I like to take advantage of every precious weekend and make the most of it. For example, I might leave town either Friday night or early Saturday morning, and either drive somewhere kinda far (200-500 miles), or perhaps take a flight to somewhere within a 2,000 mile radius of my home city (Baltimore). When I come back to work on Monday, not only am I reinvigorated, but I also feel like I'm living my life to the fullest when everyone else in the office looks kinda miserable.

Anyone else make the most of travel over their precious weekend instead of just waiting for that one week of vacation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:08 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
That's a lot of time spent driving or flying. When do you have time to do the dishes and laundry?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:22 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Take Monday off to make it worthwhile. I need at least 3 full days to feel being in a vacation.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:21 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
I try to do interesting things in my local area (no more than 120 miles away, typically) on the weekends. I might occasionally do a longer drive (220-250 miles) over the weekend, typically taking a half day on Friday, but that's usually only once a quarter, if that often. There's a ton to do locally, so it's easy to keep busy between vacations.

I can understand not wanting to just stick with the weeklong vacation, as you might only be able to do that once or twice a year, but I feel like I really need at least three nights to get a feel for a place. I like to do long weekends for three or four nights. That's the ideal way to break things up without having to take too much time off work. I actually get a lot of vacation time, but it's so busy that it's too disruptive to take the time all in longer periods.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
I did that when I was single and living in a tiny apartment. It was a lot of driving and I never had a chance to experience much beyond what I saw from the car.

Plus as someone said, if you are gone the entire weekend, you don't have time for "home chores". Although maybe you don't have many of them, OP?

Old 03-08-2017, 05:42 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Hey guys! Don't know if anyone else has ever done this, but for me personally instead of counting down the months planning for the big vacation, I like to take advantage of every precious weekend and make the most of it. For example, I might leave town either Friday night or early Saturday morning, and either drive somewhere kinda far (200-500 miles), or perhaps take a flight to somewhere within a 2,000 mile radius of my home city (Baltimore). When I come back to work on Monday, not only am I reinvigorated, but I also feel like I'm living my life to the fullest when everyone else in the office looks kinda miserable.

Anyone else make the most of travel over their precious weekend instead of just waiting for that one week of vacation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
That's a lot of time spent driving or flying. When do you have time to do the dishes and laundry?
I used to go away for weekends many years ago but usually within driving (often using public transportation) radius (although on rare occasions a short flight back and fore). Dishes and laundry can always be done sometime during the week before or after work. Nowadays I try to find different/interesting things to do within my local area on weekends.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
dish and laundry is an important of life?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 PM

2,135 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Now that some European destinations are becoming more affordable you are in a great location to take advantage of the time differences to take a quick trip. Although I agree it is best if you can squeeze one more day in or if you are able "work from home" on a travel day. I recently went to Iceland for the weekend, I just took off Friday, but I was able to fly out Thursday after work getting in Friday morning and was back home by Sunday evening. The flight time was less than 6 hours so it is no different than traveling from the East to West coast for a weekend. If you are the type of person that can sleep on a plane without needing to be in business or first class, I would even recommend taking flights up to 8 hours long for a 3 day weekend.

The other thing I think people need to do is get away from the idea that you need to see and do everything once you arrive in a location, other than things that are there for a limited time, you should be ok with only experiencing one or two of the things that a city is famous for since more likely than not it's going to be there the next time you go.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Airfare seems wasted on such a short trip since it costs the same whether you stay a weekend or a month. Also, weekends are too short to drive more than maybe 6 hours to get somewhere so regional trips are okay but nothing further than that or you feel like you are just driving there and turning around to drive back.

But I do agree, sitting home every weekend just waiting for your "real" vacation is depressing - you have to do some smaller things in between.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
.. Don't know if anyone else has ever done this, ./.. I like to take advantage of every precious weekend and make the most of it. ...

I've been VERY lucky, had a great employer (many sabbaticals and LOA), travel VERY cheap! = more travel! I have purchased an annual National Park Pass every yr for 44 yrs. (hope to live to age 62! and get a $10 LIFETIME pass). Just got my FREE Canada Pass for 2017! yippee!

I barely had time to work, my boss always asked... "Did you save any energy to WORK?" (I arrived home usually within an hour of needing to be back on the job) Often worked 4 day weeks and left early (Weds after work was a good time to leave for the week!) My boss would come home at least a day before returning to work (what a waste of vacation / weekend time!)
  • 1960's (in School) headed out on my my horse and bedroll for the weekend almost every Friday night (lived near a national Park, and also adjacent to a National Forest)
  • 1970's, (Then Came Bronson Era) Headed out via MC as soon as work was over (never even went home, just LEFT from work)
  • 1980's lots of flights / driving trips (and a 3 day weekend job as OTR trucker ~ 2000 miles each weekend)
  • 1990's living overseas and homeschooling we traveled every week and weekend (Asia, Europe, and Canada) homeschooling, so many 6-12 week 'field trips'
  • 2000- (retired pre age 50 and left the office, direct for the National Parks) took a Grad program and RV'd FT and flew home once / month for a weekend school session.
  • 2010 - weekend and work (?) weeks are booked with travel (tough when we have rural props and equipment / livestock to maintain and... LOTS of firewood to cut)
  • Last yr... (Oct 2015) bought a one-way trip to NZ, with NO other plans, Except to see tulips in Holland (May 2016) and ... to get home as close to Election day as possible, but NOT early!
  • This yr... Free companion fare SWA, so.... 15 flights so far + 2 international trips.
Wander lust! I have a BAD case! (So did my parents and now my kids...) I was weaned in the seat of a Cross Country semi truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPIOH8bCfk

Quote:
Airfare seems wasted on such a short trip since it costs the same whether you stay a weekend or a month.
Not really... been getting $40 - $80 OW fares every week (sometime 2-3x / week) Companion flies FREE, so we are usually gone! Stay in Guest homes $10 / night WW. Had an absolutely wonderful time last weekend with hosts in SF, as happens nearly every weekend.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-08-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel