U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:46 PM

25,106 posts, read 36,506,375 times

Advertisements

Co-pilot was at controls in landing amid strong winds in Germany

Federal investigators said Tuesday that a Lufthansa jet that grazed the runway as it attempted to land amid gusting wind - a dramatic incident captured on amateur video - was being flown by the co-pilot.

Germany's Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation confirmed a report in the newspaper Bild that the plane was being flown by the co-pilot and not the more-experienced pilot.

Co-pilot was at controls in landing amid strong winds in Germany (broken link)

Look at the pictures!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 03:48 PM

170 posts, read 447,779 times
I saw that on CNN this morning. If I were on that plane I would've pooped all over my pants! That thing was rocking all over the place!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,211,139 times
LiveLeak.com - Hamburg - A320 nearly crashed during crosswind approach

Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 PM

812 posts, read 3,723,309 times
What a pathetic dig at the First Officer. Do they think that the Captain is always the pilot flying? This is normal operation procedure, crews alternate duties from leg to leg, where one is designated "pilot flying" on one leg and then trades duties on the next. it just so happened to be the FO's leg... when a gust pushes your wing into the ground, it doesn't really matter who has the sidestick. If the Captain was truly uncomfortable, he could have canceled the approach just as well. Either one can make the go around call.

As a matter of fact, when an emergency happens, most airlines have standard operating procedure that if it is the FO's leg, to relinquish the controls to the Captain. If it wasn't done, the captain clearly didn't feel it necessary. There's absolutely no way that this wouldn't have happened if the captain was flying.

As a matter of fact, these types of approaches were happening all day at Hamburg with many diversions due to the winds... the only difference here was 1) the photographer was there, and 2) the gust that created the wing strike.

Sounds to me like they're painting a picture that the crew did something negligent by letting the FO fly.

What rubbish.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM

6,933 posts, read 9,717,980 times
good god, hope nothing like that happens on my flights!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,089,544 times
xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax xanax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOTS OF IT!!! NOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM

4,539 posts, read 13,481,324 times
First, this shows the ultimate strength of Mother Nature - wow! Second, it shows the brilliance of whoever was behind the stick to abandon the landing. Too bad the photographer wasn't in the cockpit to show what was going on there -- we'd all be standing and cheering the courage and determination of the crew not to panic.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,915,114 times
It's a flight maneuver at it's finest!
I talked to my family in Germany, and them telling me that they are expecting hurricane force winds coming in, effecting all of Germany. (This was expected last weekend)
I read the German News Paper about this flight....and all I can say is "Congrats on a job WELL DONE!"
The pilot attempted to land in CROSS WINDS, which are a pilots worse nightmare, pushing the one wing down, while uplifting the other, turning and pushing this size plane into the OPPOSITE direction.
Whomever was flying this HUGE plane (pilot and/ or the crew) had to have a lot of flying experience, and made the right call at the right moment, to preserve life on the plane.
Incredible video clip though.......keeping you on the edge on the seat....that's for sure......huh.
And, I second the previous member's post: Xanax, Xanax, Xanax.....ROTFL.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM

25,106 posts, read 36,506,375 times
I concur with the others complimenting the flight deck crew on their experience - I would love to fly anywhere, anytime, with those two at the controls.

True professionalism

I will, and do, question however, the ATC people.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:03 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,283,004 times
Not the best moment to try to land but the flying was extrordinary!Ccongrats to the pilot for eventually geting it down safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel