Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:50 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are you aware that much of the reporting of violence over there have been false and spread by right wing groups that think that Muslims and probably Jews are despicable people? .
No, I was not aware of that. Did you hear it on MSNBC? I thought it was left-wingers who hated people that practice misogyny.

Or is it that left-wingers support misogyny only when it is practiced by Muslims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 PM

322 posts, read 286,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
In my experience, some of the most hospitable, friendly, helpful and outgoing folks I have encountered are n some of the "no go" places, or by U.S. standards, thirld world/very poor.

I think largely, anywhere in the world, if you trust your gut, and don't put yourself in sketchy situations, you have very little to worry about. At the end of the day, while governments might differ greatly, people are a lot more in common than they are different.
Exactly! It is so wrong and offensive to lump people into these categories or make sweeping generalizations about them. Some of the nicest people I've ever met were from a country people wouldn't dream of going to.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 PM

322 posts, read 286,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, I was not aware of that. Did you hear it on MSNBC? I thought it was left-wingers who hated people that practice misogyny.

Or is it that left-wingers support misogyny only when it is practiced by Muslims?
You aren't even trying to hide your obvious bias and prejudices lol. Do the world a favor and never leave your bubble please.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

MSNBC doesn't even claim to be a news channel and although I watch it sometimes I do not use them as a news source. I do get news from CBC, BBC, Globe and Mail, NYT, Washington Post and Huffington post plus others and prefer to see at least two accounts when possible,

But if you think that all Muslims hate women why have they elected female leaders of their countries? I will never defend the treatment of women by those in Saudi Arabia or nby ISIS or the fundamentalists but then again some fundamentalist Christians seem to have a very low opinion of women and what their groves should be. But I am agaist bigotry and prejudice so I do not hate the 1 billion Muslims or the 2 billion Christians because some of them are misogomists?

I do not like dishonest people, and if these claims about Muslims in Europe are in fact false then they have feed into your hatred of a group and that you have twisted this into a left right or pro anti women discussion rather than if Europe is safe to travel to.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Jesus Christ you guys, Paris is not France. London is not the U.K, and Berlin is not Germany. Travel a bit, live a little and stop being so annoyingly paranoid. Stay away from creepy neighborhoods - like you would in any city in the world, and don't go for late-night strolls. Common sense.

Somebody mentioned feeling safest in the former Warsaw Pact countries. You kidding me?? Neo-Nazi groups are the most active in these countries and random riots over soccer matches are common. I'll take Western Europe, thank you very much.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:27 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Many people from the USA who respond to these posts have never been anywhere, possibly across their state lines but that's it. You have to understand that we live in a large country (area wise) which is relatively isolated from the rest of the world. We have Canada to the north, Mexico and Central America to the south. Europeans, on the other hand...lots of different countries and cultures bordering each other, many of you able to communicate in each other's languages. Plenty of us enjoy visiting European countries and aren't the least bit paranoid when we do...except for the general unease one can feel in a new place. Any new place! It's as strange to me as it is to you that people are scared of Europe. I live in a large American city and I've been frightened here more than once in my own nice bubble of a neighborhood.
I don't know where you live, but Frisco is among the safest places I've ever been to.

America is very segregated, the good neighborhoods are definitely much safer than anywhere in Europe. Since this is Travel forum, it's important to keep in mind that tourists almost always have the option to visit better areas.

The problem with Europe is, tourists flock to Barcelona, Paris and London where crimes are rampant.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
MSNBC doesn't even claim to be a news channel and although I watch it sometimes I do not use them as a news source. I do get news from CBC, BBC, Globe and Mail, NYT, Washington Post and Huffington post plus others and prefer to see at least two accounts when possible,

But if you think that all Muslims hate women why have they elected female leaders of their countries? I will never defend the treatment of women by those in Saudi Arabia or nby ISIS or the fundamentalists but then again some fundamentalist Christians seem to have a very low opinion of women and what their groves should be. But I am agaist bigotry and prejudice so I do not hate the 1 billion Muslims or the 2 billion Christians because some of them are misogomists?

I do not like dishonest people, and if these claims about Muslims in Europe are in fact false then they have feed into your hatred of a group and that you have twisted this into a left right or pro anti women discussion rather than if Europe is safe to travel to.
How ridiculous. Very few Muslims would say they "hate women".

However, very many Muslim men would say a woman's place is in the home, she should not vote, she should not drive, if she commits adultery she should be stoned to death, she should have her genitals mutilated at an early age to remove sexual pleasure, and so forth.

Those are all common practices in much of the Muslim world. In Pakistan, over 1,000 women die every year in so-called honor killings, in which their own relatives or the groom may murder them for "dishonoring the family" in some manner, such as having an affair or allowing herself to be raped, or even for talking to a boy. The killer traditionally walks free if the girl's family forgives him.

The practice has been condemned worldwide and Pakistan has even passed a law making it illegal, but it continues.

In Egypt, women, especially Christians, are targets of rape gangs who operate freely and with little interference from the police. This problem became worse after the Muslim Brotherhood took over, and though the MB was deposed by a military dictatorship, the practice continues, as does the burning or vandalization of Coptic Christian churches.

In the large cities of Western Europe, Muslim rape gangs have become common; they target girls as young as 12, and on occasion have targeted boys as well. Officially, it is not recognized as a problem in most places, but reports of these crimes have surfaced in recent years as a grassroots movement has arisen to challenge the politically correct picture of peaceful Muslim immigrants. Sweden, in particular, has become the rape capital of Europe and by some measures its sexual assault rates are the highest in the world, next to Botswana. Yet, Sweden has strict anti-hate speech laws which forbid journalists from criticizing Islam, so the information is only coming out via grassroots Youtube videos and the like. But it is coming to light because of brazen crimes.

In Germany, 50% of women now say they're afraid to go out alone at night, in a country which only a few years ago was one of the safest places in the world for women. Police are not allowed to record the ethnicity of the attackers, and news media are asked by police to remove surveillance photos of the culprits, so it's difficult to get independent numbers on who's committing these heinous crimes, but it's obvious and common knowledge that many if not most of the perpetrators are foreign refugees; the police tend to use euphemisms like "dark skinned man" because they're not allowed to say "Muslim refugee" or "Afghani asylum seeker". Here's a recent report on the suppression of information in Germany.

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is prevalent in the Muslim world and consists of cutting off a girl's clitoris, typically without anesthesia, at a young age. This procedure serves no medical purpose but removes much of the feeling of sexual pleasure in intercourse. Although it was officially banned in Egypt, 95% of the population still practices FGM. Thousands of cases of FGM are appearing in Europe among the refugee populations and an estimated 168,000 cases of FGM have occurred in the U.S. though the practice was banned by a law in 1997. Click here for more information on this odious practice.

Muslim refugees have brought with them violence, ignorance, intolerance of non-Islamic religions, and brutal practices toward women. If you visit areas of London or the other great cities of Europe that have welcomed these people, you will probably be safe as a visitor, but you should definitely avoid wearing Jewish religious garb, and if you are a woman you are much safer in a group. If you stick to the tourist areas and stay with your companions, you should be safe enough. Europe is still worth visiting, but it's not the same Europe it once was.

Please disregard the naysayers and deniers who dismiss these very real facts without presenting a shred of evidence of their own. It's unfortunate that the forum software offers no way to downvote such wilfully ignorant comments. Safe travels!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
How ridiculous. Very few Muslims would say they "hate women".

However, very many Muslim men would say a woman's place is in the home, she should not vote, she should not drive, if she commits adultery she should be stoned to death, she should have her genitals mutilated at an early age to remove sexual pleasure, and so forth.

Those are all common practices in much of the Muslim world. In Pakistan, over 1,000 women die every year in so-called honor killings, in which their own relatives or the groom may murder them for "dishonoring the family" in some manner, such as having an affair or allowing herself to be raped, or even for talking to a boy. The killer traditionally walks free if the girl's family forgives him.

The practice has been condemned worldwide and Pakistan has even passed a law making it illegal, but it continues.

In Egypt, women, especially Christians, are targets of rape gangs who operate freely and with little interference from the police. This problem became worse after the Muslim Brotherhood took over, and though the MB was deposed by a military dictatorship, the practice continues, as does the burning or vandalization of Coptic Christian churches.

In the large cities of Western Europe, Muslim rape gangs have become common; they target girls as young as 12, and on occasion have targeted boys as well. Officially, it is not recognized as a problem in most places, but reports of these crimes have surfaced in recent years as a grassroots movement has arisen to challenge the politically correct picture of peaceful Muslim immigrants. Sweden, in particular, has become the rape capital of Europe and by some measures its sexual assault rates are the highest in the world, next to Botswana. Yet, Sweden has strict anti-hate speech laws which forbid journalists from criticizing Islam, so the information is only coming out via grassroots Youtube videos and the like. But it is coming to light because of brazen crimes.

In Germany, 50% of women now say they're afraid to go out alone at night, in a country which only a few years ago was one of the safest places in the world for women. Police are not allowed to record the ethnicity of the attackers, and news media are asked by police to remove surveillance photos of the culprits, so it's difficult to get independent numbers on who's committing these heinous crimes, but it's obvious and common knowledge that many if not most of the perpetrators are foreign refugees; the police tend to use euphemisms like "dark skinned man" because they're not allowed to say "Muslim refugee" or "Afghani asylum seeker". Here's a recent report on the suppression of information in Germany.

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is prevalent in the Muslim world and consists of cutting off a girl's clitoris, typically without anesthesia, at a young age. This procedure serves no medical purpose but removes much of the feeling of sexual pleasure in intercourse. Although it was officially banned in Egypt, 95% of the population still practices FGM. Thousands of cases of FGM are appearing in Europe among the refugee populations and an estimated 168,000 cases of FGM have occurred in the U.S. though the practice was banned by a law in 1997. Click here for more information on this odious practice.

Muslim refugees have brought with them violence, ignorance, intolerance of non-Islamic religions, and brutal practices toward women. If you visit areas of London or the other great cities of Europe that have welcomed these people, you will probably be safe as a visitor, but you should definitely avoid wearing Jewish religious garb, and if you are a woman you are much safer in a group. If you stick to the tourist areas and stay with your companions, you should be safe enough. Europe is still worth visiting, but it's not the same Europe it once was.

Please disregard the naysayers and deniers who dismiss these very real facts without presenting a shred of evidence of their own. It's unfortunate that the forum software offers no way to downvote such wilfully ignorant comments. Safe travels!
Female mutilation is a cultural not a religious practice and in that part of the world that it is practiced it is done by Christians as well as Muslims. I have no knowledge of how much you are stating is true and what I not because of all the false accusations that are also laid by those who hate others. Much like both the US and Canada would not let in Jewish refugees from Germany in 1939 because the Jews were immoral. An example close to my home, in Edmonton last year there were a group of armed robberies of convenience stores and through Facebook , twitter and one far right web news site these robberies were quickly blamed on Syrian refugees. Witnesses and surveillance video showed that it was two white men and those two were arrested but there are people who still cling to the original on line accusations by some. I don't know if what you said about the German police is truer than what Fox News reported about Birmingham England being a zone that British police were afraid to go into. I stand by the comment that reputable news printed that the original publisher of the New Year's Eve rapes and sexual assaults retracted their statements and said that the events did not occur. Should we believe that they still occurred because of what happens in Egypt and other areas of northern Africa. If you look at the map of where it occurs it is mostly in a strip in Africa and Iraq and Yemen. For one example of it not being religious The prevalence varies with religion in Nigeria; FGM is prevalent in 31% of Catholics, 27% of Protestant and 7% of Muslim women.[SIZE=2][51][/SIZE] FGM was banned throughout the country in 2015.[SIZE=2][38][/SIZE][SIZE=2][39][/SIZE] Wikipedia

Let us rally behind what is wrong rather than against Muslims in countries that do not practice this horrible custom. Let us not spread fear about a country that is still safe to visit. Sure vote me down if you want. If the Swedish police and government state that there is not a rapid rise in rape then why should I believe someone else. If those who live in Germany claim that there country is safe why should I doubt it. I would not be surprised if 50% of the women would fell unsafe walking alone at night in the neighbourhood I live in and yet neither the residents nor the statistics support this fear. But what you are claiming is that Europeans do not care if their people are raped or murdered because they do not want to offend the Muslims. Are these sources like the BBC which does not claim what the poster claims it says.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
If you are equating Muslim treatment of women with Christian treatment of women, you are so far out of touch with reality that I have nothing else to say to you.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
I think the statistics would easily bear out that--terrorism or not-- its much safer to travel in Europe than in the USA.

We were in Portugal and Spain in 2015 at the same time the attack in Paris occurred. Those countries could not have been more peaceful. We were in Germany and Austria in September of 2016. I saw a fair number of Muslims, but everything was nice and orderly there as well.

We plan on going to Germany, the Czech Republic, and Hungary in September of 2017 again. I guess that shows how DW and I feel about the "safety issue".

I don't know how accurate this poll that says 1/2 of German women do not feel safe inside their country anymore. Perhaps, its a reflection of living in a society where terrorism and crime were virtually unknown until recently. In America, we have dealt with violent crime for decades and are more immune to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel