Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Maybe you happen to live in a better neighborhood, or you have accepted the way it is.

How to Avoid Pickpockets in Barcelona, Spain | USA Today
https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-s...l-of-the-world
For example, Barcelona is known as the world capital of pickpockets!

It's probably safe by European standard, since it's not really a war zone at all and most people are not affected.

But seriously, visit Japan if you can. I stayed a few nights in the worst neighborhood in Tokyo, I never felt unsafe.

Everyone needs to learn something from Japan.
American tourists are most susceptible to it because they primarily live in very sparsely population regions, spending most of the time either in their offices with people they know, or their personal vehicles. They rarely have the experience of spending time in public transport, or crowded streets. This is why over the years they don't have the basic ability to stay alert and be aware of the environment and potential pickpockets.

I have been warned by many people about Paris, Rome and Barcelona. Peope kept telling me how bad it is, that thiefs are everywhere etc etc. This is probably all true, yet growing up in a large Asian city, I already have the basic instinct of always being careful when there are many strangers close to you. Nothing like this ever happened to me because it is my guts to be suspicious of people around me on the streets (sometimes too much). This is really not about how unsafe European cities are, but rather Americans are typically unable to adapt to dense European cities and all its minor problems such as pickpocketing. They naively assume it is safe based on their own experience and don't possess the basic alertness about surroundings all the time, because it is usually unncessary in the US, where you are very likely to be within 5 inches of a person they don't know or didn't intentionally approach.

If you live in a dense city and use crowded transport everyday, you are a lot less likely to become a victim of pickpocketing. The thiefs can easily tell who are be alert and who are just letting it loose and choose their victims accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
American tourists are most susceptible to it because they primarily live in very sparsely population regions, spending most of the time either in their offices with people they know, or their personal vehicles. They rarely have the experience of spending time in public transport, or crowded streets. This is why over the years they don't have the basic ability to stay alert and be aware of the environment and potential pickpockets.

I have been warned by many people about Paris, Rome and Barcelona. Peope kept telling me how bad it is, that thiefs are everywhere etc etc. This is probably all true, yet growing up in a large Asian city, I already have the basic instinct of always being careful when there are many strangers close to you. Nothing like this ever happened to me because it is my guts to be suspicious of people around me on the streets (sometimes too much). This is really not about how unsafe European cities are, but rather Americans are typically unable to adapt to dense European cities and all its minor problems such as pickpocketing. They naively assume it is safe based on their own experience and don't possess the basic alertness about surroundings all the time, because it is usually unncessary in the US, where you are very likely to be within 5 inches of a person they don't know or didn't intentionally approach.

If you live in a dense city and use crowded transport everyday, you are a lot less likely to become a victim of pickpocketing. The thiefs can easily tell who are be alert and who are just letting it loose and choose their victims accordingly.
Tokyo is more dense than anywhere in Europe.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:21 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Pickpockets are visible from 100 km...And when they are not visible like dense metro, basic measures like closing your bag with a little knot, put stuffs on the pocket inside your jacket, take a credit card instead of 300€ cash on you, bagpack not on your back in the metro (and that's more polite for others) ...avoid 99,99% of thieves. I visited Paris more than 99% of tourists coming in Paris and zero Pickpockets, never.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Maybe you happen to live in a better neighborhood, or you have accepted the way it is.

How to Avoid Pickpockets in Barcelona, Spain | USA Today
https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-s...l-of-the-world
For example, Barcelona is known as the world capital of pickpockets!

It's probably safe by European standard, since it's not really a war zone at all and most people are not affected.

But seriously, visit Japan if you can. I stayed a few nights in the worst neighborhood in Tokyo, I never felt unsafe.

Everyone needs to learn something from Japan.
Whichever way you look at it London is FAR safer than any US city comparable in size, all this 'avoiding Europe' nonsense is absolute rubbish, its time you accepted the way it is.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Tokyo is more dense than anywhere in Europe.
yep. Japan is really a special case. Different from every other countries. Something extraordinary about the Japanese.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Pickpockets are visible from 100 km...And when they are not visible like dense metro, basic measures like closing your bag with a little knot, put stuffs on the pocket inside your jacket, take a credit card instead of 300€ cash on you, bagpack not on your back in the metro (and that's more polite for others) ...avoid 99,99% of thieves. I visited Paris more than 99% of tourists coming in Paris and zero Pickpockets, never.
That's what I am saying. If one grows up in a large dense city, he would possess the basic skills to avoid pickpocketing. For example, I (instinctively) walk fast, avoid crowds when possible, never put my backpack on the back on crowded places, and most importantly, not respond to random strangers talking to me. It atually shocks me how many tourists fall victim of those gypsie women signature scams in Paris. For me, it is a no brainer not listening a word what they have to say, even before knowing their existence.

If someone gets pickpocketed multiple times, he or she should really learn some survival skills. Large cities are filled ith petty crimes, and it is up to us to avoid them.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Whichever way you look at it London is FAR safer than any US city comparable in size, all this 'avoiding Europe' nonsense is absolute rubbish, its time you accepted the way it is.
Is the US the golden standard these day? Simply because US cities have their problems doesn't justify the sharp decline in Europe. Size is not the cause of safety problems, Tokyo is no smaller than London and it's incredibly safe. Many other big cities in Asia are also extremely safe, like Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, Taipei just to name a few.

In the context of travel, Americans who can afford going to Europe generally live in better neighborhoods in the US. Most of the crimes in the US concentrate in bad neighborhoods. Therefore, travelers from the US should compare the safety in their home neighborhoods against their destinations in Europe.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Is the US the golden standard these day? Simply because US cities have their problems doesn't justify the sharp decline in Europe. Size is not the cause of safety problems, Tokyo is no smaller than London and it's incredibly safe. Many other big cities in Asia are also extremely safe, like Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, Taipei just to name a few.

In the context of travel, Americans who can afford going to Europe generally live in better neighborhoods in the US. Most of the crimes in the US concentrate in bad neighborhoods. Therefore, travelers from the US should compare the safety in their home neighborhoods against their destinations in Europe.
Asian cities are different, because all its citizens are Asians. So no point to make comparison here. i don't think to make it a race thing, but East Asians are simply less violent no matter where they live, or if they are rich or poor.

Yes, Americans who travel to Europe tend to live lin better neighbourhoods, but why do they need to visit bad neighbourhoods in Europe? It is not like crimes in Europe are evenly distributed either. The US is nt the golden standard, but it is the Americans who seem to think Europe is too dangerous for them to travel to, and that's just laughable

Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:

But there isn't a 'sharp decline' in Europe and whether size is an indication or not isn't really the issue, and Tokyo has nothing to do with it either, the fact is London and other European cities are safer than American cities so all this talk of avoiding Europe is simple paranoia.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,497 times
Quote:

There is no sharp decline in safety in the continent of Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel