Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times

Advertisements

And on the flipside the word's wealthy all come to the US to be treated by cutting edge doctors and techniques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I have been going to Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber for years now and most any work is covered with one or two live geese

Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
And on the flipside the word's wealthy all come to the US to be treated by cutting edge doctors and techniques.

Yes. Operative word: WEALTHY.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Agreed, I would be very careful having any type of dentistry or medical work done in another country without EXTENSIVLY investigating the doctors and practice first!
If the price quoted in the U.S is reasonable, I think it's wise to do it near your home. But when the price in U.S is not affordable at all, say, $8000, going to Mexico often becomes the only option available.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Yup, billionaires from the Middle East.

If your budget is well over 1 million dollars, there's no reason to leave the U.S unless your operation isn't FDA approved. But still, you can access the best health care in Europe, Japan or even China if your budget is unlimited.

Unfortunately, we ordinary people can't afford the best.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM

284 posts, read 234,365 times
I went to Cancun in November 2016 to have some dental work done, the prices was less than 1/3 of what it cost here, less that 1/2 even with my travel expenses. I'm going back in June to finish it up, had an implant done so that's why I needed to go back 6 months later. I can fly r/t from Cleveland for $200 and I stay at an airbnb close to the office and enjoy the beach and margaritas while I'm not having appointments. There is NO WAY I could have afforded to have had 3 root canals, 8 crowns, a bridge and an implant done here. I also did extensive research for months before deciding on a clinic, they have top of the line equipment there, some that my US dentist doesn't even have.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
If the price quoted in the U.S is reasonable, I think it's wise to do it near your home. But when the price in U.S is not affordable at all, say, $8000, going to Mexico often becomes the only option available.
Maybe.

Because restorations may not last forever. You could need fillings, caps and bridges replaced or be dealing with various new teeth breaking and having problems AFTER your initial outlay.

Anyone who has that extensive amount of work, with a financial limit... say $8000, may be better off getting dentures, to be honest. Because a full mouth of work is more like $20K to $40K.

THEN you have to factor in at least three cleanings per year because the margins around your gum are at risk for inflammation especially when you have caps. So that's probably around $300 per year in cleanings for maintenance and a couple of exrays maybe once a year proactively. I go quarterly.

To compound the issue, women with osteoporosis are high risk for even qualifying for implants. So that changes the whole picture.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:22 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Just curious, why did the author choose to go to Thailand instead of Mexico?
I wondered that, too. Presumably from the recommendations she got, that she mentioned in the article?

Old 03-23-2017, 07:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
We've had dental work done in Thailand and Indonesia. We didn't go to Asia specifically for medical care, we don't live in the United States.

Thailand = hospital in Chiang Mai that has expat services, including an Aussie chick downstairs who can help you with anything. Examination and cleaning $17, fillings $16 each. Hospital is modern and well equiped, doctors are western trained (medical degree on wall said UCLA) and speak English.

Indonesia = unplanned but wife worried cracked tooth. Went to clinic to have it checked, $11 for exam. We heard another couple at the counter paying $30 for x-rays. Can't comment on facilities since only my wife went in there, I just sat in the waiting room.

At the hospital in Thailand we also did our annual wellness stuff, they have a program where you get everything EKG, fluid tests, chest x-ray etc. for about $100. Good thing there is no waiting for lab results, they take blood and urine first then you get shuttled around for everything else. By the time you get to doctor consult last he has your lab results and goes over them with you in detail. Wife has also done annual lady parts check twice in Thailand, $70 cash including mammogram. She did have to wait 2 weeks to get emailed pap smear results.

Went to clinic in Cambodia due to foot injury, wasn't very satisfied with the experience but didn't expect much either. We don't speak Khmer and their English was minimal so added challenge with communication. Wouldn't recommend Cambodia, they aren't anywhere near the standards/quality of the big medical tourism countries Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. Most expats in Laos and Cambodia go to Thailand for medical care.

We also handle all our vaccinations in Bangkok for about 1/4 the cost of getting them done back home, with exception of yellow fever which we did at the airport in Peru. It's a weird experience at Queenie in Bangkok, you go down the hall to the pharmacy to buy the vaccinations, then take your basket of goodies to another area and pay separately for the jabs. You can get anything from a typhoid shot to cobra antivenom there.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
IDK, going to a foreign land where you cant easily sue for malpractice, in case something goes wrong is very risky. I know many who have gone to the DR or Cuba for surgery, dental or lipo, and have had decent results, but what if something happens?You rely on their emergency services, and your insurance may not work over there, so you are left with a box of bills, or cash up front requirement.

you already have enough dentist in the US that work for cheap, and churn em out like an assembly line. Maybe if you shop right, they can waive the deductable? but like many, my insurance limit for the year wont cover all the work I need.

I would risk dental work for post and crown, root canal ( needed on the spot) , but only after I exhausted my Insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel