Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times

Advertisements

La Quinta hotels are almost always dog-friendly without any additional fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
How did you zip tie the pads? Anything between the pad and the rotor would either cause a loss in braking power and/or more likely, melt the zip tie from the heat generated.
pads/shoes don't take bolts, they're pressure fit. Calipers are bolted on, but I don't believe they bolt "through" so passing a zip tie may not be an option.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
AAA has brochures of dog-friendly motels/hotels.
I would purchase a AAA membership if you don't already have one. www.AAA.com they will come out, fill up your tank, change a tire, etc. That annual membership is cheap for what it includes! I also second not to sleep in your car! It's not safe for a single female. Either have money for a hotel or don't go!

I also recommend not driving to the point of exhaustion. Fall asleep accidents and deaths due to exhaustion from driving are now becoming the leading cause of car accidents. Get your rest!

Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Sounds like fun, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Driving in the US cross country is easy.

I do recommend driving during the day, not for safety but to see all the cool views and changes in landscape.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacrose88 View Post
Hi, I am planning on driving cross country to move from Denver to the South this summer alone just with my dog. I am a middle aged female. Any advice?? I'm up for the challenge but a little nervous travelling by car so far alone. Is it safe to sleep in your car?
Whether or not it's safe to sleep in one's car depends on where the car is parked. It's okay to take a needed cat-nap but, as others have said, it's not particularly restful.

Denver to Atlanta is about a 25 hr. drive-time trip. I would make it a three or four day trip with a couple of 3-6 hrs. of "sightseeing" stops. I'd shoot for driving 8-12 and 2-6 each day, stopping some place around 6PM, spend 3 hrs. looking around, get a good night sleep, and do the same thing the next day.

I've moved x-country a number of times. I've done it like above; I've done it as non-stop as possible. Taking in the sights along the way is so much nicer. I've never done it with an animal. I wouldn't think it would be much different.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacrose88 View Post
Is it safe to sleep in your car?
No.

Plan your trip ahead of time and look at reviews of roadside motels or stay in cities in a decent area.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Single biggest piece of advice, if you want to see things - stay off the interstates where possible. The US Route system is still great, and far more interesting. Heck US 287 will take you from Denver to Dallas and from there the world is your oyster.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full at all times.

Don't "Overdrive" take breaks ,

I would not suggest sleeping in the car, Not overly safe. Also very uncomfortable
Good answer^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
I would not sleep in the car! If anything, I'd get a tent and air mattress and stay in state parks at the campground. They are safe. There's other people around including park rangers if there are any problems. There are many hotel chains that are pet friendly. I definitely don't think it's safe to sleep in one's car at rest areas or on the side of the road.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
Whether or not it's safe to sleep in one's car depends on where the car is parked. It's okay to take a needed cat-nap but, as others have said, it's not particularly restful.

Denver to Atlanta is about a 25 hr. drive-time trip. I would make it a three or four day trip with a couple of 3-6 hrs. of "sightseeing" stops. I'd shoot for driving 8-12 and 2-6 each day, stopping some place around 6PM, spend 3 hrs. looking around, get a good night sleep, and do the same thing the next day.

I've moved x-country a number of times. I've done it like above; I've done it as non-stop as possible. Taking in the sights along the way is so much nicer. I've never done it with an animal. I wouldn't think it would be much different.
We just did it with our puggle, Riblet, and, other than having to make more stops than normal, and not being able to really go out at night, it wasn't different at all. In fact, the highlight of our trip was taking him to the grand canyon. It actually helped give my wife company in her car, as we drove seperate. She usually drove about 5-10 minutes ahead.. I would pull up to the rest area or gas station and walk him around while she went and took care of her business. The stops actually helped to refresh the both of us.

I also second the La Quintaa recommendation, most nights we stayed there, all good experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel