Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
It just seems that most places that people want to go and most things that people want to see are either too crowded so that you can't really enjoy the experience, or too remote to be able to travel to on most peoples' budgets. Given how a lot of times, there are better pictures of the places on the internet than what you can see in real life, why do people feel the need to deal with the hassle of travelling?
Seriously? Come out of the basement! Join the sunshine! Google Earth has got nothing on seeing something in person....as someone who loves historical homes and towns, there's no comparing looking at Monticello online to being INSIDE Thomas Jefferson's home! Climbing the half mile hike up the side of a mountain in the Great Smokey Mountains to get to Clingman's Dome where you climb some more to view the mountains in 4 states! Photos don't do it justice. It's an experience. Climbing the steps inside of a lighthouse and knowing how challenging it is can't be seen on a photo. Neither can the 120 temperature inside the tower next to the lens.

Crowded? I haven't been many places I would consider to be crowded and I'm not a person who likes crowds. Sightseeing during the off season has far less people and typically costs less. There are plenty places to see throughout the country. You'd be amazed at what's in your own town and county. Within an hour of my home, there are over 6 state parks, lakes, beaches, rivers, waterfalls, dozens of historic houses, historic towns, farms, wineries, national parks, national and state forest lands, historic museums, numerous museums, amusement parks, restaurants, unique hobby shops, a living history museum, and more. Many of these places have no admission or very low fees. For instances, at our state parks, you can spend the entire day - sun up to sun down - for a mere $7 per carload! If you find $7 to be expensive, you've got some serious issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I'd much rather be drinking rose on a beach in the European Med than looking at photos of people doing it.

I'd much rather be sailing a mega yacht through Iceland and seeing the majestic countryside than looking at photos of people doing it.

I'd much rather be snorkeling in the Galapagos Islands than watching it on the internet.

Seriously, do get out of your parents basement.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:30 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
It just seems that most places that people want to go and most things that people want to see are either too crowded so that you can't really enjoy the experience, or too remote to be able to travel to on most peoples' budgets. Given how a lot of times, there are better pictures of the places on the internet than what you can see in real life, why do people feel the need to deal with the hassle of travelling?

Because many people like to get out their mom's basement sometimes?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:31 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
In case anyone thought that I was kidding or just trying to create a troll thread, that was not my intention. When I was a little kid, I looked at an atlas for a long time every day, and I had an actual interest of wanting to go to a lot of these places. But being in a place always turns out to be more disappointing than the image I've created about the place, and that I learn more about cultures from watching Youtube videos or talking to people from other places who have moved to where I live than I do from actually going to those other places.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Because seeing something on a screen doesn't compare to seeing it in person.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:44 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
The OP also doesn't have a girlfriend because he once saw a picture of Kate Upton.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The OP also doesn't have a girlfriend because he once saw a picture of Kate Upton.

Sorry, I have to spread Reputation around before I can give this any.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:55 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
In case anyone thought that I was kidding or just trying to create a troll thread, that was not my intention. When I was a little kid, I looked at an atlas for a long time every day, and I had an actual interest of wanting to go to a lot of these places. But being in a place always turns out to be more disappointing than the image I've created about the place, and that I learn more about cultures from watching Youtube videos or talking to people from other places who have moved to where I live than I do from actually going to those other places.
It's possible that you're just a person who doesn't enjoy traveling. But it's also possible that you'd enjoy it more if you did less research beforehand, and check out places you don't already know a lot about. Give yourself some room for surprise and novelty to work their magic.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:42 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
How come the same can't apply to traveling? If you're constantly traveling and seeing things, how is it any different than watching TV or playing with video games? Are you not wasting time away too? Is traveling not like an addiction? If people say, "hey, let's go hiking that mountain today." How is that any more fulfilling than watching a favorite TV show? Aren't they both a waste of time? If you have things that you'd like to do more than hike that mountain, then isn't hiking that mountain a waste of time for you?

In other words, depending on how you prioritize things, traveling could be a waste of time.
Getting tired of traveling or considering it a waste of time is like saying your tired of sex.

Quote:
A picture of something...even of paintings is a poor substitute for seeing, tasting or experiencing the real thing.

Quote:
But being in a place always turns out to be more disappointing than the image I've created about the place, and that I learn more about cultures from watching Youtube videos or talking to people from other places who have moved to where I live than I do from actually going to those other places.
If this is what your trips are like then your doing something wrong.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:09 PM

248 posts, read 340,937 times
Wow, everyone is being very hard on the OP. I happen to agree with him/her. And not everyone is looking at a computer in the basement, either, and that's insulting. (!) Some people have nice houses with computers with a nice view, that they are paying good money for, without much cash left over. They might have school or other loans they need to pay off before they go on leisure trips. They also might only get two weeks a year off and not have time to do a real long distance visit.

I don't have the money for hotels at several hundred dollars a night, don't have money for plane flights or even a lot of gas for the car, don't enjoy restaurants (with food that often disagrees with my health issues) and certainly don't want to pay good money to leave town, spend the night(s) sick in a strange hotel room, and certainly don't want to climb mountains for the view or anything of the sort. After you say 'wow' you have to climb back down again. Extrapolated out to Mt. Everest, lots of people die doing just that, something like one out of seven, including the human mules that are hired to take supplies up and back.

There are a few places I'd like to visit in my life including the pyramids at Giza but that interest kinda faded when someone told me 'Egypt smells like camels' - lol. I'll just read up about them on line, which is plenty to keep me busy and I don't have to worry about drinking the water, coming home with new weird diseases, or paying the huge bills, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel