Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:18 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times

Advertisements

It just seems that most places that people want to go and most things that people want to see are either too crowded so that you can't really enjoy the experience, or too remote to be able to travel to on most peoples' budgets. Given how a lot of times, there are better pictures of the places on the internet than what you can see in real life, why do people feel the need to deal with the hassle of travelling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
There is a HUGE MASSIVE difference between seeing pictures on your computer screen, and seeing in person. You also can't experience culture and cuisine on your computer.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Where exactly is "too crowded"? The only places I can complain about crowdedness are Prague and Venice. of course if you have to go to see the Sistine Chapel that is a personal choice. Rome is completely fine with it.

Sometimes the local crowd is an important part of the experience. If you hate the crowed, go in the low season. You can visit Provence in July and complain about the crowded because you choose the crowd.

And yes, seeing it in person is completely different from watching it on TV or surfing on the net. Travelling will always exist.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
It just seems that most places that people want to go and most things that people want to see are either too crowded so that you can't really enjoy the experience, or too remote to be able to travel to on most peoples' budgets. Given how a lot of times, there are better pictures of the places on the internet than what you can see in real life, why do people feel the need to deal with the hassle of travelling?
I see it the other way. It just makes people want to experience even more.

But, the real reality, is people who are not interested in traveling (or anything really) will always look for any reason to not do something they aren't interested in.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:59 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
You have got to be kidding.

At least I fervently hope so.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There is a HUGE MASSIVE difference between seeing pictures on your computer screen, and seeing in person. You also can't experience culture and cuisine on your computer.
This^^^^^^^^^^

Old 03-26-2017, 01:18 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
This is interesting, because this is an idea I've always thought of and doesn't get questioned enough. Everyone always assumes that traveling is something "everyone likes." Or like it's something that is always to be desired. A good analogy would be like TV or video games. Those are both enjoyable things. However, if you do too much of it, people will tell you you're wasting away and addicted. How come the same can't apply to traveling? If you're constantly traveling and seeing things, how is it any different than watching TV or playing with video games? Are you not wasting time away too? Is traveling not like an addiction? If people say, "hey, let's go hiking that mountain today." How is that any more fulfilling than watching a favorite TV show? Aren't they both a waste of time? If you have things that you'd like to do more than hike that mountain, then isn't hiking that mountain a waste of time for you?

In other words, depending on how you prioritize things, traveling could be a waste of time. Also, as you stated, if you just don't have the money, it can be a waste of your time too. I see people who work a lot and then save up all their pennies and then blow it all on some vast trip, after which they come home broke and start all over again. For those people, traveling might also be a waste of time/money, because it costs them so much (a few months of working), just to get that little thrill for 2 or 3 weeks to travel. Living beyond your means can be a bad thing. I guess it just depends on what people prioritize, but it's just interesting that culturally "traveling " has become this all-around good things instead of being just another hobby like gaming or TV watching.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:40 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
I guess some of us just like real experiences.

A more valid question might be why Google Earth doesn't replace Disneyland.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 PM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I can look at a photo of a cheeseburger, but I still will want to bite into one, come meal time. Travel is my joy, no photo can ever compare.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:44 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
I sometimes use Google Earth to look at places I've previously visited and get a few moments of warm fuzzy feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel