Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times

Advertisements

Our IT/Security folk have basically said, save it to our cloud, and use a local machine when you get to your destination, or work off your phone. It's a major PITA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 04:28 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Our IT/Security folk have basically said, save it to our cloud, and use a local machine when you get to your destination, or work off your phone. It's a major PITA.
I'm sure it is. "Work off your phone"?! Can you imagine trying to use Excel spreadsheets or giving a Powerpoint presentation off of a smartphone? Heaven help anyone who's working with something too sensitive to be stored in the cloud, because that's the only realistic option in most cases. We all know what's going to happen to any laptop or tablet that's checked. (Besides, lithium batteries aren't supposed to be in the cargo hold, anyway.)

I'm tentatively planning an African safari for my 2018 vacation, for which I am of course going to want to bring a good camera and expensive lenses. Having to add "don't return to the US via any of these nine airports" is going to majorly complicate planning. I really feel for folks like the OP, though, who already have trips planned and tickets booked, and who are stuck dealing with this sudden security theater crap.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
I used to travel by air every week for business. Now I only travel by air when I have to. It's stuff like this that has made travel, especially international travel, less attractive.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm sure it is. "Work off your phone"?! Can you imagine trying to use Excel spreadsheets or giving a Powerpoint presentation off of a smartphone? Heaven help anyone who's working with something too sensitive to be stored in the cloud, because that's the only realistic option in most cases. We all know what's going to happen to any laptop or tablet that's checked. (Besides, lithium batteries aren't supposed to be in the cargo hold, anyway.)

I'm tentatively planning an African safari for my 2018 vacation, for which I am of course going to want to bring a good camera and expensive lenses. Having to add "don't return to the US via any of these nine airports" is going to majorly complicate planning. I really feel for folks like the OP, though, who already have trips planned and tickets booked, and who are stuck dealing with this sudden security theater crap.
I'm in finance. It's my own version of hell.

On the plus side, if you have an SLR, the glass and body can likely go on if you remove the battery pack. If nothing else, the glass can stay with you.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't see how effective the new plans will be. It makes very little sense.
Why has the US banned them from flights operated by airlines based in those countries, but not on US carriers? And why has the UK banned them from all airlines departing those countries, British Airlines included? If a bomb can be concealed in a laptop, shouldn’t they be banned from flights altogether, rather than just shifted to the hold?
What are your qualifications in anti-terrorism or airline security? I'm going to assume they have a mountain of data and resources unavailable to you in your armchair.

As for the difference between cabin and cargo hold, read this.
A bomb in the cabin or cargo? Experts explain the electronics ban on planes

For one thing, checked baggage is subject to more intensive screening, more intrusive searches, longer searches if suspicious, higher dose radiation screening, etc. I believe some airports even subject them to pressurization and depressurization cycle that would set off barometric triggered bombs.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
For one thing, checked baggage is subject to more intensive screening, more intrusive searches, longer searches if suspicious, higher dose radiation screening, etc. I believe some airports even subject them to pressurization and depressurization cycle that would set off barometric triggered bombs.
Which is completely irrelevant as the ban is EASILY circumvented. Fly from the Middle East to Europe or Asia, and catch your non-stop flight from there to the US, and all your electronics can stay in the cabin with you.

Terrorists are evil, not stupid. That's why despite having the same intelligence information, no other countries other than the UK have mplemented similar bans. It won't work, and it imposes considerable hardship on legitimate travelers (especially those traveling for business).

Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
On the plus side, if you have an SLR, the glass and body can likely go on if you remove the battery pack. If nothing else, the glass can stay with you.
Of course, the lenses will be of little use if the camera body is stolen. (Although I suppose it would provide a good reason to upgrade to a newer body!)

Fortunately for me 2018 is a long way off and my plans are far from fixed. I'll see how things go, and either route my return through Europe or Asia, or go with my second choice of vacation (snorkeling in Fiji).

But man, people who HAVE to fly for business to the Middle East or India are going to be totally hosed by this! Especially since the TSA and the airlines won't be assuming liability for laptops in checked baggage, and TSA luggage locks are a joke.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
I'm so relieved it seems to pertain to only international flights. I have no interest in going to these places.

Quote:
I don't see how effective the new plans will be. It makes very little sense.
What about the commander in chief or his administration actually makes sense?

Quote:

To me this is just an another genius plan that creates false security. Wonder what the airlines will do to keep the passengers happy, since they will not have gadgets to entertain, or to work on during long lay offs.
It's going to be hell for those stewardesses. I can only imagine.

Quote:
Instead of imposing passengers to the never ending restrictions, what about making the scanners more effective? It's really hard to believe that screeners at airports are unable to distinguish between a laptop that contains an explosive device, and a laptop that does not.
Only two things have made air travel safer since 9/11: securing the cockpit door, and convincing passengers they need to fight back. Everything else has been a waste of money. We are never ahead - we are only playing catch-up while the terrorists are planning the next way of circumventing the security system.
TSA failed to detect mock explosives and weapons in 95% of the time during airport security tests!
Their technology should have been more advanced than that. I agree. However it doesn't really surprise me because of when I flew and the TSA officer called my body wash "aerosol can".

Quote:
And OP is right - the screeners, and baggage handlers are going to have a party with all the high value electronics now. Airlines know that most travel insurance policies simply will not cover theft of "unattended belongings" which you cannot see or are not close to you, and insurers already take a flexible approach to claims if a passenger has been forced to put items in the hold by circumstances out of their control.
You might be able to get around this by making what's called "a special declaration of interest" for very expensive items at check-in, and paying an extra fee. Oh, yeah - special fee! Isn't all really about?
But how you supposed to prove if the device was there and now missing? Maybe they should issue containers similar to containers for weapons and ammo - locked cases secure from being accessed?
Ugh, you make a good point. Travel is already a bit frustrating when it is generally supposed to be an enjoyable experience (or on the other hand if you're traveling for business it needs to be comfortable because you need to be able to relax before you get to work) and now they're making it not worth it.
I feel kinda bad for the people who want or need to travel to these countries. I think they've suffered enough financial frustration from airlines as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Eww I barely even like doing online shopping on my phone. What a PITA. I'd be afraid to save much in the cloud so I know what you mean.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Oh come on, it would be so easy to remote detonate a bomb. Just use a cell phone with a micro radio transmitter embedded inside. Maybe ISIS can't do it, but it should be childs play for the CIA, et al. Or the average modern 12 year old gamer...

Old 03-28-2017, 03:51 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Some people are saying that this move is intended to hurt the business of foreign airlines flying into the USA such as Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways. These airlines have taken away the international travel market in a big way and this move will be detrimental to their profits. Many Business Class passengers will be reluctant to fly without their laptops on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel