Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:43 PM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

I have known people who have rented a car and done this, and there experiences have been varied.

My only experience with this is renting a motorbike in Bermuda. I got used to it pretty quickly. Even negotiating the roundabout was pretty simple.

But my boss had a negative experience in Scotland once. He was out in the country where the lanes were very narrow, only wide enough for one vehicle, but there were wide spots where you could pull over to let another vehicle pass. Since they drive on the left, you're supposed to pull over to the left, but my boss forgot and pulled over to the right! The driver of the other vehicle who nearly crashed into him was not amused in the slightest and was not forgiving of the hapless foreigner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 12:25 AM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Driving on the other side was really not as difficult as I had expected. The greatest difficulty was shifting the car using my left hand. Fortunately, I had a vehicle with automatic transmission.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,506,121 times
I have driven in England, Scotland & Australia & the hardest thing to remember was looking the correct way to turn so that I didn't get T-boned. The other problem, especially in the countryside, was very narrow roads with no area to pull over, usually about 1/2" from an ancient rock wall.

The biggest problem for me was the roundabouts...so many spokes, and often my destination was not listed on the road signs. The solution was to just keep driving around & around until I figured out which one to turn on.

I've driven manual transmissions since learning to drive, so shift lever & clutch in opposite of what I was accustomed to was not a problem.

I dropped my rental car off in London after 6 weeks of driving all through England & Scotland without a scratch on it...the rental car staff was so impressed that they came out to the car & applauded me!

You should be fine if you just concentrate 100% on driving & keep reminding yourself of where you are.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Since I live in the States part time and in the Caribbean part time I deal with lefthand and righthand driving all the time. The biggest issue for me is remembering where I am and which side to sit and which side to drive. It's not difficult, but I will say I enjoy watching newbies on the roundabouts..lololol

Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Many years ago I traveled from Israel to Australia for 6 months and then continued on to USA/California and I drove in all 3 places. I didn't have any major issues switching as it is really a mindset but perhaps that is because I also lived for 2 years as a child in England so my mind usually switches over to look in the opposite directions first relatively quickly.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
I was just wondering, for anyone who had the opportunity to do this, how was your experience? What I'm talking is more than just strolling around a main port center, like say, going to the UK and visiting just London.

I have known people who have rented a car and done this, and there experiences have been varied.

For example, I would very much like to go to Ireland at some point, and perhaps explore the countryside, see ancestral graves, Giant's Causeway, Cliffs of Moher, etc. However, I can imagine this might be quite difficult to do, unless one was on an expensive guided tour. Are there other options out there? Or if I were to drive the country (which also sounds really fun), how difficult would it be to pick things up?

Thanks everyone!
Tons of people do it, not a big deal. It's strange for about an hour. If you get a manual transmision that get's tricky.
You will have a tougher time with the narrow inner city roads and bad traffic in the city areas.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:36 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
Quote:
I was just wondering, for anyone who had the opportunity to do this, how was your experience?
Best characterized as "near death". I almost always started to go the wrong way into roundabouts and almost entered several freeways on the wrong side a couple of times. Fortunately, everyone in the back seat was from South Africa and their screams of terror alerted me just in time to avoid certain death.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:39 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,979,764 times
Intersections take some concentration at first & being sure you are looking for traffic in the correct direction
when entering a highway from a side road.
Other than that it's not hard.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM

595 posts, read 674,698 times
As others have said, it's not too difficult once you get used to it. I've driven manual all my life, but I did find it odd that first gear wasn't towards my leg. I had assumed at first that the gears would be reversed as well, but they stay in the same position. The roundabouts were rough at first due to sheer habit, I always wanted to head right. My wife and I just made a deal, as we approached one, she'd say "left, left, left" and that took the worry out.

One other time while in Scotland with my Irish cousin, we stopped at a particular scenic spot along the coast in the remote north. When we got back in the car, I pulled onto the road and a moment later my cousin asked me, "What did I ever do to you, cous? We're family. I'm just not sure what I did to deserve this." I wasn't catching on and quite confused. Then he grins and says, "Why are you trying to kill me? Are you ever going to get in the proper lane?!?!" At that moment, I quite sheepishly realized I had driven a mile or so in the right lane.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
I personally have never done it and would be TOTALLY afraid to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel