Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,146,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
actually that's all beyond the point. A guy who simply flies to have a good time has the same right as a doctor who is flying lives. It is irrelevant, they are both customers.

The point is UA should have just keep increasing the price. 1200? 2000? I am 100% someone will take the offer within a few minutes.

Now they have a massive PR crisis, possibily requiring tens of thousands of make up for, plus a loss of 830M in market value overnight.

It is all for what, saving $1000?? That's just stupid. Whoever came up with the idea of dragging the passenger off has to have his head checked. There is such an easily and cheap solution and they don't want it.
Oh, I completely agree. It is just that Ottawa2011 has been defending United on every thread and I wanted to call him out on this "airline will read your mind" claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
This is what happens when the incentives to volunteer are too weak. People don't want to take the "$800", because it is paid in vouchers that is heavily restricted.

The solution to this, is to mandate that airlines offer the standard compensation to volunteers. This will solve the whole problem, because there are plenty of travelers who like to earn some cash. If airlines feel the cost is too high, then don't overbook the plane.
Exactly. I received vouchers once and they were incredibly hard to redeem. (this is years ago so it may have changed). However it required a different ticketing system and took awhile. I thought it was completed and set. I get to the airport and they have no record of my ticket. I had to purchase a ticket at the counter and my voucher was lost, they had no record of it. So I will never take a voucher again.

I cannot imagine being in the shoes of being bounced off the way the United passenger was. There are so many different reasons people cannot take a later flight. I just keep thinking of a few months back I went to say good-bye to my father on his deathbed. I made it within hours, if I was bumped I would not have been able to say good-bye.

They should have kept increasing the voucher until someone took it. What they did was outrageous.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,747,212 times
Point is people fly because they are on a tight schedule. No one flies with the thought that a day missed here or there isn't an issue.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
All of this operates under carriage contracts and laws, you should review these; airlines have no obligation other than getting you from A to B, that is about it, it does not even have to be on the same day or even in an airplane.

They can bump you, and it can be for various reasons as we have all seen in the news over the last few months. This has been the way it is for decades.

The pilot is the authority on a plane, what they say goes, and this is really the "out" the airline has, in that even if a specific rule cannot be cited, the rule is the pilot has the authority.

It is not uncommon to be bumped, from the other threads, I am amazed how many people did not know about this. Bumping will be voluntary at first, after that a selection system will be used.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:04 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,744,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Oh, I completely agree. It is just that Ottawa2011 has been defending United on every thread and I wanted to call him out on this "airline will read your mind" claim.
Legally, he is not wrong though although his argument was not right. Unlike what he said, United is able to remove him legally, even by force precisely beause it is an airline, not just "any business".

Strictly speaking, the airline didn't do anything illegal. They did everything within their rights and following protocols. After some research, the airline indeed has the right to remove any passenger it wants any time for any reason. All it needs to do is to compensate up to 4x the one way ticket price. If the passenger resists, it is against federal law.

The passenger will have no basis to sue United, even when he is physically injured.

The Obligations of Airlines and the Rights of Passengers | Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division

Unfortunately, the law is on the airline's side.

Last edited by botticelli; 04-11-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,747,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
All of this operates under carriage contracts and laws, you should review these; airlines have no obligation other than getting you from A to B, that is about it, it does not even have to be on the same day or even in an airplane.

They can bump you, and it can be for various reasons as we have all seen in the news over the last few months. This has been the way it is for decades.

The pilot is the authority on a plane, what they say goes, and this is really the "out" the airline has, in that even if a specific rule cannot be cited, the rule is the pilot has the authority.

It is not uncommon to be bumped, from the other threads, I am amazed how many people did not know about this. Bumping will be voluntary at first, after that a selection system will be used.
The one thing to note is the United flight was NOT overbooked. All paid passengers were seated in their assigned seats. The overbooking was caused by the 4 standby United employees (presumably last minute add-ons).

Old 04-11-2017, 01:44 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,971,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
The one thing to note is the United flight was NOT overbooked. All paid passengers were seated in their assigned seats. The overbooking was caused by the 4 standby United employees (presumably last minute add-ons).
Exactly.

If they were "overbooked" the "4 passengers" in this case flight attendants that weren't on the plane .... wouldn't have boarded the plane.

The plane was full, not overbooked.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:51 PM

4,854 posts, read 3,657,163 times
When I was single, and younger, I would actually ask the ticket agents at the gate if the flight I was on was overbooked. I wanted to be first to get a voucher, and did many times, as well as food vouchers.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,327,996 times
To answer the OP's question:

The people who get ripped off airplanes when they're already seated always bought the cheapest tickets on the plane. By law, the airline has to give them cash compensation. They're always going to pick the guy flying on the $89 junk ticket since the compensation is capped at 4x the price of the ticket. So if you don't want to get bumped, don't fly on those junk tickets. Just paying a few extra bucks for early boarding, an aisle seat, or extended legroom will make it so you have extremely low odds of getting bumped.

I used to do 100K+ miles per year on airlines in my road warrior days. At that level of FT status, I could change flights at the last minute on an oversold flight for no change fee and they'd bump people. The more you spend, the better they take care of you. Since the dawn of time, United has never bumped a 1K, Platinum, Gold, or Silver.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 PM

47,017 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
He said other passengers were asking why the crew members who needed to be in Louisville, a four-hour drive from Chicago, couldn't just rent a car and drive. I guess it was clear that they would still make their Louisville flights in time.
Could easily be a crew rest thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel