Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,003,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I grew up in Scotland and, until a couple of years ago when my mother passed, was returning several times a year. Edinburgh to Skye is a 4-5 hour drive and there are several routes. Some of the roads are narrow but not all.

If you want to see Skye and the Highlands, here is my recommendation. Take three days from Edinburgh .......

Day 1. M8 to Glasgow, then to Loch Lomond, then the A82 to Tyndrum, Rannoch Moor, Glencoe and Fort William. From Fort William drive to Mallaig on the A830. The scenery (weather permitting) will be magnificent. Spend the night in Mallaig which is a delightful fishing village.

Day 2. Ferry across to Skye (Speed bonny boat like a bird on the wing, over the sea to Skye). For your day on Skye, The Cuillin Hills are magnificent, Dunvegan Castle is well worth the visit as is Portree the main town.

Day 3. Head back across the Skye Bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh and then Eilan Donan Castle (that is the famous one that is in all the guide books). Continue on to Loch Ness (just in case Nessie is around). Head south on the A82 and then pick up the A86 heading east at Highbridge. Take the A86 to the A889 and then the A9 south. The A9 will take you to Perth where you can pick up the motorway back to Edinburgh. Or, if you have time, you can go down to Stirling, visit the castle and then head back to Edinburgh.
Thank you for this detailed answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:23 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,003,654 times
Looks like we are extending our trip to 3 weeks to fit in everything we want to see. Scotland and England and saving Ireland for another time. We are going to do the 2.5 hour train from London to Paris for. Quick two day side . Everyone has been very helpful! Any opinions or info on the Cotswolds?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 559 times
I would agree with Gardyloo. Getting out of the cities and seeing the 'real' Scotland and England is by far the best experience, and you will find the people friendlier and welcoming the further north you are! If you call at York which is an old medieval city you can't fail to love, go to Betty's tea room for the best Yorkshire food in the quaintest of environments. Of course on the north west side of England is the beautifully stunning Lakes District too....

Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is no right or wrong answer. If it were me and I knew I would never go back, I would do all three.

You don't have to rush to do all three. You just will not get to see much of each country.

I was going to say the same thing. Better to see all 3 than regret not seeing one country if you never return. This way you can say "been there, done that." If you do get to return, then go see what you missed the first time around in the country that was your favorite. Being able to visit the other 2 as well would be the "icing on the cake."

Old 04-25-2017, 07:34 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Retirement Files View Post
I would agree with Gardyloo. Getting out of the cities and seeing the 'real' Scotland and England is by far the best experience, and you will find the people friendlier and welcoming the further north you are! If you call at York which is an old medieval city you can't fail to love, go to Betty's tea room for the best Yorkshire food in the quaintest of environments. Of course on the north west side of England is the beautifully stunning Lakes District too....
The 'real' Scotland is the cities. 70% of the population lives in the central belt. It might not be the Scotland of the guide books (Edinburgh excepted) but it is very much the real Scotland.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
The Cotswolds are very pretty - the "candy box" England, with local golden limestone used for cottages, stately homes, churches and other historic structures, this area of rolling hills and rippling brooks is also easy to visit from London. You'll also encounter lots of sheep - it was their "golden fleeces" which led to the accumulation of a great deal of wealth in the pretty Cotswolds several centuries ago.

Take the train from London to Oxford, then use that as your base for a couple of nights. Explore Oxford on foot or by local public transport (or a local tour) on your first day, then rent a car, drive to Woodstock, visit Blenheim Palace, then on to Stratford (look out for the roundabouts - negotiating them is very non-intuitive for right-side driving Americans).

See the Shakespearean sights (which are also sites), enjoy lunch, the head back to Oxford through the Cotswolds. You can also visit the Rollright Stones (prehistoric standing stone circle) via this route.

Be sure to get good maps and avoid motorways - the secondary roads are much easier if slower and far more scenic. Visit places like Bourton-on-the-Water, where you can visit the miniature village (and even see the miniature village within the miniature village, not quite ad infinitum), sample local bakeries - each part of England has its own regional specialities, then get back to Oxford in time for dinner.

Return the car and take the train back to London - or drive to Bath via the secondary road that takes you through Marlborough and visit some more prehistoric sites: Avebury, the Ridge Way, Wayland's Smithy and the White Horse of Uffington are close by. If you visit, wear good walking shoes and plan to spend most of the time in Avebury, which is a tiny village in a huge stone circle, with other monuments nearby. Marlborough's Polly Tea Room would be a good stop for lunch, and you can take additional treats with you and antique shop later. The Polly is classic England: low-beamed ceiling, fireplace, chintzy tablecloths, etc., with delicious lunches. If they still offer the strawberry cream gateau, order it and think of me :-).

Once in Bath, find a comfortable small hotel if you don't already have reservations, ideally one within easy walking distance of Bath Abbey and the adjacent Roman Baths. Tour these two sites, if nothing more - the baths' remains are far more extensive than they first appear, as underground archeology has uncovered some amazingly preserved and fascinating structures and artifacts. Other attractions include the Museum of Costume and the Bath Assembly Rooms, especially if any of your party enjoy Jane Austen. Check out Bath buns at the local bakery for a local treat.

Next day: day trip to Wells, about an hour away, with a visit to the remarkable and extremely charming cathedral and Bishop's Palace included. Very scenic drive, too. Enjoy a ploughman's lunch at a local pub, then back to Bath for the night. Turn in the car the next morning and take the train back to London.

This itinerary would give you a good sample of a very scenic, diverse and historic part of England which would include both major and less well known attractions. Oxford, Stratford and Bath would have lots of tourists during the main season, the other places - not so much so, so talking with natives would be easier and you'd feel less rushed.

Another suggestion: be sure to check on any local festivals or celebrations of traditional customs which may coincide with your visit. Such events are unforgettable - I was on Magdalene Bridge at dawn on May Morning in Oxford in 1985, and can still hear the May Carol in my inward ear..

Old 04-28-2017, 02:53 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,511 times
Three weeks will allow a lot of time to explore England and Scotland.

London alone can easily take a week all by itself -- there's tons to do and see. Some of the world's best museums of their kind are there (Victoria and Albert, British Museum, National Gallery) and the first two are gigantic. Churches like St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey are a must, as are attractions like the Tower of London and the Churchill War Rooms. Consider also many fine smaller attractions such as the Cortauld Gallery, Wallace Collection, Queen's Gallery, Banqueting House, and Sir John Soane's House, as well as moderate sized collections like the Tate and Tate Modern. Avoid Madame Tussaud's at all cost: it's expensive, can get crowded, and several of the figures don't look like who they're supposed to anyway.

Have also been to Oxford and Cambridge as day trips. Both have plenty of university-related attractions and a worthwhile art museum (Ashmolean at the former, Fitzwilliam at the latter). Check online shortly before going to each to see which colleges are closed that day. I found Cambridge more welcoming than Oxford, primarily because a surprising number of the latter's colleges were closed for the day and people seemed less friendly.

If you get to Ireland, note that for many the highlight of a trip there is driving the coast, which I haven't seen much of. I enjoyed Dublin (has its share of worthy museums and such), but not everyone apparently does.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,977,838 times
What about including Iceland?

Old 04-28-2017, 12:22 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,059,788 times
We are taking a more "thorough" approach, though by no means totally inclusive, opting to do only England and North Wales over ~3 week period. Without much detail, here is what we have planned.

Day 1 Travel from East Coast, U.S.

Day 2 Westbury after flying into LHR, Windsor Castle and on to Westbury to visit a friend for 3 nights

Day 5 Travel to Bath, for 3 nights, via train or bus depending on schedule. Tentative plan to hire a car and range about and further travels. Europcar in Bath is open and has cars at this point.

Day 7 The car adventure begins with trip to Stow-on-the Wold, (3 nights), via Blenheim Palace and possibly a quick look-see at Oxford, if time permits. While in Stow will use local bus as much as can to get around. That and foot power.

Day 10 We’ll go to Stratford upon Avon, then either spend the night in Ludlow or Ironbridge. Ludlow looks more interesting overall. Just not sure how much time we will spend in Stratford.

Day 11 To Conwy (2 nights), where we plan to see a couple of Edward’s castles and probably take the cog railroad to the top of Snowdonia

Day 13 A leisurely drive to Keswick in the Lake District, (3 nights). Plan on seeing Hidcote Manor and Gardens, Hayes Garden World and just enjoying what is touted as a beautiful area. Will try to use local bus as much as can to get around.

Day 17 To Durham, (1 night), via Hadrian’s Wall. Would love to see Beamish, but do not think that will work if we spend a great amount of time along Hadrian’s Wall.

Day 18 On to York, (3 nights), in the early afternoon, where we will focus on the town and maybe sample some of the surrounding area, though we will be turning in the car upon arrival.

Day 20 To London via train for our final 4 nights. Have reservation in Covent Garden area and plan to cram as much in as possible, including Changing of The Guard, two or three museums, Parliament, Churchill’s War Rooms. Wish we could make it to Chartwell, but doubt it.

Day 25 Home

Ireland, Scotland and maybe a visit to our friend again in a year or two. Thoughts?

Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 PM

5,248 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Less is more... you will have better memories I believe when you slow down & hang out at the local pub for a few evenings & hear some music & explore little restaurants & nearby walks & hikes & then move on to one or 2 more places & do the same. To me the local pubs & starting up chats with the locals is the key in all the British Isles, not trying to "see everything".

I've done trips both ways & tend to remember the little moments getting leisurely lost in some old back streets & wandering in to have a pint & ask somebody something that gets a chat started & perhaps some good tips about local sights, perhaps a cattle fair the next day in a nearby town or a trad music session somewhere or some quirky sight nearby. I try to slow down & "schedule" time to wander & get lost in a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel