Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

I looked for a similar thread but didn't see any. My wife and I are going on a 16 day trip to NC and SC next week. It's not really a vacation; we're visiting her mom in SC, then investigating a few NC cities to decide which city in North Carolina we want to relocate to in a couple of years. (We're choosing between the Asheville area, Charlotte, or Wilmington). We're on a tight budget, but there are several reasons going now is better than going later, despite our shortage of funds.

We originally thought about driving the 15+ hour trip but decided against it. It's just too far for us to do comfortably, especially considering we'll also be driving all over two states once we get there. So we purchased inexpensive plane tickets to Atlanta, then paid to rent a car. My question is, what are your tips for saving money on your trips out of town?

We got hotel rooms that offer the free continental breakfast which can save us a decent amount of money just by that. We got some pretty inexpensive hotel rooms also, since it's not about the room and we won't be doing much there besides sleeping and showering. We also eat light, so we're planning on splitting some of our dinner meals out so we don't have leftovers that go to waste. We're not going to spend much on entertainment, because it's mostly going to be house hunting and looking at the surrounding areas. And of course my MIL will give us free room and board for three days of the trip. Are there are other ideas for saving money the posters in C-D land have tried that I haven't thought of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Coupons - especially for fast food places.

Online apps - papa Johns, church's chicken. Gas buddy.

Costco rotisserie chicken.

Groupon (sometimes)

Buy soft drinks, snacks etc at the grocery store immediately after you pick up your rental car. Speaking of rental cars, did you compare the cost of renting AWAY from the airport to avoid those airport fees? Take an uber to a nearby off site rental car pickup location. Our 10 day trip to phoenix was $230 cheaper because of this tactic! And the best rental car rates = costco.

We usually go the Airbnb route or insist on hotels that include a mini-fridge and microwave. (LaQuinta is a favorite)

PS if you're looking at NC for retirement years, Wilmington has some serious drawbacks. Access to health care. No streetlights for night driving. Few one story homes. It took us less than 48 hours to cross it off our list and head up the road to Raleigh, where we've happily lived since 2012. Asheville - be sure to check out the surrounding towns. Hendersonville is lovely.

If you're still working, Wilmington and Asheville are not big employment centers. Charlotte and The Triangle should both be on your radar.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
We travel a lot and very inexpensively (All of 2016) and several weeks / yr for the past 35 yrs

Lodging:
$free to $20/night Worldwide Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
Free campgrounds.net

Food:
Above guest homes are included + often extra meals and a packed lunch
Shop at grocery early morning and get 'culls' bruised produce from asking the produce dept.
No Sodas, no alcohol; occasional 'happy Hr' slush at SONIC

Rental cars:
Hotwire / travelocity (reserved 3 cars last night for under $20/ day) (don't prepay, in case you change plans or find a cheaper car.)

Entertainment;
Libraries, pubic pools and parks. Farmer's markets... and we often stay on farms and help with chores.

When driving our own car... 52 mpg on free cooking oil (since 1976) 1250 mile range between donut shops./ fuel stations

Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Groupon (sometimes)

Buy soft drinks, snacks etc at the grocery store immediately after you pick up your rental car. Speaking of rental cars, did you compare the cost of renting AWAY from the airport to avoid those airport fees? Take an uber to a nearby off site rental car pickup location. Our 10 day trip to phoenix was $230 cheaper because of this tactic! And the best rental car rates = costco.

We usually go the Airbnb route or insist on hotels that include a mini-fridge and microwave. (LaQuinta is a favorite)

PS if you're looking at NC for retirement years, Wilmington has some serious drawbacks. Access to health care. No streetlights for night driving. Few one story homes. It took us less than 48 hours to cross it off our list and head up the road to Raleigh, where we've happily lived since 2012. Asheville - be sure to check out the surrounding towns. Hendersonville is lovely.

If you're still working, Wilmington and Asheville are not big employment centers. Charlotte and The Triangle should both be on your radar.
I second the Hendersonville recommendation. And I can say for certain that Wilmington and Asheville are not good places to be looking for a job.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Get a cooler for the trunk of your car. You can keep cold cuts, cheese, fruit, salad stuff, etc. good way to save money instead of eating out.

Granted last time we tried that we were always negotiating the space where beer came out the winner more often than food.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I looked for a similar thread but didn't see any. My wife and I are going on a 16 day trip to NC and SC next week. It's not really a vacation; we're visiting her mom in SC, then investigating a few NC cities to decide which city in North Carolina we want to relocate to in a couple of years. (We're choosing between the Asheville area, Charlotte, or Wilmington). We're on a tight budget, but there are several reasons going now is better than going later, despite our shortage of funds.

We originally thought about driving the 15+ hour trip but decided against it. It's just too far for us to do comfortably, especially considering we'll also be driving all over two states once we get there. So we purchased inexpensive plane tickets to Atlanta, then paid to rent a car. My question is, what are your tips for saving money on your trips out of town?

We got hotel rooms that offer the free continental breakfast which can save us a decent amount of money just by that. We got some pretty inexpensive hotel rooms also, since it's not about the room and we won't be doing much there besides sleeping and showering. We also eat light, so we're planning on splitting some of our dinner meals out so we don't have leftovers that go to waste. We're not going to spend much on entertainment, because it's mostly going to be house hunting and looking at the surrounding areas. And of course my MIL will give us free room and board for three days of the trip. Are there are other ideas for saving money the posters in C-D land have tried that I haven't thought of?
www.extraholidays.com Rent a place with a kitchen and cook your own meals. A can of soup fills us up and we can relax in front of the tv while feeling at home in our own condo.

Asheville--Fairfield Mountains and Sapphire Valley
I have been finding several new developments near Bolivia and Supply, N. C. This is in the warmest part of the state near Wilmington. I finally realized my home is paid for and these homes are about the same size as ours and we have twice the lot size. No need to move. www.queenscup.org

In the Charlotte area you may want to get the room in Matthews or Monroe and check out homes in Waxhaw area. Waxhaw has a lot of retirees.

Don't overlook Pinehurst.

Last edited by NCN; 04-17-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Groupon (sometimes)

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially from NC residents. We used to rent with Air B&B all the time but they now charge renters a "service fee" which is nothing more than a money grab and offers no benefit to renters, and that was a big turn-off for us, so we reluctantly went the traditional hotel route. Hendersonville is the exact town we're looking at And my brother-in-law lives in Charlotte. We're not that concerned about healthcare with Wilmington though because we're both on government plans, but I'll double check. We'll look closer at Wilmington real estate as you suggested because one story is essential. We are both still working, but I'm in healthcare and have never had problems finding a job (fingers crossed). We tried to get a car rental away from the airport but because our flight got in at 9:30 PM and high occupancies at various hotels, that was not possible. But we did get a very good price at Avis on an SUV at the airport. Grocery store food is a wonderful idea, and it's healthier.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, especially from NC residents. We used to rent with Air B&B all the time but they now charge renters a "service fee" which is nothing more than a money grab and offers no benefit to renters, and that was a big turn-off for us, so we reluctantly went the traditional hotel route. Hendersonville is the exact town we're looking at And my brother-in-law lives in Charlotte. We're not that concerned about healthcare with Wilmington though because we're both on government plans, but I'll double check. We'll look closer at Wilmington real estate as you suggested because one story is essential. We are both still working, but I'm in healthcare and have never had problems finding a job (fingers crossed). We tried to get a car rental away from the airport but because our flight got in at 9:30 PM and high occupancies at various hotels, that was not possible. But we did get a very good price at Avis on an SUV at the airport. Grocery store food is a wonderful idea, and it's healthier.
Let me be direct: the health care in Wilmington is inadequate and lousy. When residents need something serious, they head to Raleigh. When they get chronically ill, they move. What program or insurance you have is meaningless if you have to travel 2.5 hours to get health care.

I'm still not understanding why you're not considering The Triangle. Three HUGE health systems, two of them world class. Endless job opportunities.

In Hendersonville, try to spend a little time on main street. It's really nice. Pop into the roclass and mineral museum (it's free and it's charming).

Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 AM

401 posts, read 426,803 times
This is what I learned from renting cars for 30 years when I traveled a few weeks a month.

1.Do not buy the car insurance sold by the rental car company, check with your insurance company and your credit card company to see if they provide the coverage for free.
2. Check prices off the airport vs on the airport, many times the cost is hired at the airport with additional fees, pick up the car via a cab ride to the off site rental company and drop off at the airport.
3. Never go with the option of buying the gas from the rental car company, bring back the car full of gas always.
4. Make sure you inspect the outside of the car when you pick it up. Any damage make sure it is noted on your rental agreement. Also check inside of the car for any stains, damage etc. When dropping the car off take photos of all sides of the car. This way you have proof the car was not damaged when you turned it in.
5. Do not get road side assist from the rental car company, many times this covered by the credit card company or if you have AAA.
6. Bring your own GPS or use your phone, do not rent from the car rental company.
7. Never upgrade for a few $$ per day it adds up.
8. Always rent a car with unlimited mileage.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Let me be direct: the health care in Wilmington is inadequate and lousy. When residents need something serious, they head to Raleigh. When they get chronically ill, they move. What program or insurance you have is meaningless if you have to travel 2.5 hours to get health care.

I'm still not understanding why you're not considering The Triangle. Three HUGE health systems, two of them world class. Endless job opportunities.

In Hendersonville, try to spend a little time on main street. It's really nice. Pop into the roclass and mineral museum (it's free and it's charming).
My wife has the VA, and a clinic is available in Wilmington. I have a liberal Medicare PPO. We're not considering the Triangle because, being Texans, the real estate prices are basically out of our price range. In any event, we will look at all three areas and decide for ourselves. She and I love the beach (Okracoke Island and the Outer Banks are favorite spots), which is why Wilmington appeals. We've lived near Galveston for more than 20 years, and it's very frustrating to be so close but not be able to go to the beach because it's so gross and unsafe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel