Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Outside of the occasional conference, am stuck in the US for all of my business travel, which is a huge negative IMO. I'd say 80% of the time I am in boring places I have no interest in visiting, and only 20% of the time and I actually in cities I want to visit. But I couldn't see myself doing anything else, the mere thought of staying in the same place for more than a couple weeks gives me serious anxiety, so overall I would say I enjoy business travel.
A friend of mine has to travel to Ohio every month. He works in the manufacture sector, so it's easy to imagine how boring his destinations are.

But things could be worse. What about refineries and chemical plants? Purely disgusting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,176 times
I love it but had to cut way back after having my son. When he's grown I can see doing it again. It was a different pace and fun way to see the world. I would tack on extra time to sightsee. It also allowed my husband and I to travel for free or minimal cost. For now it's not with it because of missing out on time with my son while he's young so I have a job where o only travel a few times a year.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,301 times
I liked traveling for work. It was US-only but I got to go to some cool places and I did have leisure time because it was a training class....so after 3pm I could do whatever I wanted. Or, if I was working overnights, I'd wake up at 2-3pm and have time to sight see before going into work. My husband got to go sometimes too as long as we paid for his flight (and the rental car/accomodations over the weekend).

Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,393 times
My husband travels extensively for work. There are pros and cons.

Pro: He scouts out locations, and flights, that we might enjoy as a family. For example, he really thinks we'd love Tokyo, so much so he's looking at when we could go. On the other hand, the flight to Australia, he said, was brutal and that our kids aren't ready for it for a few more years.

Pro: He has the highest frequent flyer status and racks up points, which we use for leisure/family travel. We're close to the first ones on the plane, first luggage on the carousel, etc. Small perks, but add up when you're flying overseas with a family of 6!

Pro: He has some control over his schedule, so he's been able to plan some trips during our school breaks and we've been able to accompany him. That's been a blast! The kids and I explore the city, then meet up with him for dinner. We extend stay a weekend or two.

Cons, of course:

Time spent traveling, time away from family/feeling disconnected, jet lag, catching up/staying on top of work that's still going on in the office, little to no "recovery" time after a long trip, being in an interesting place and having little time (or sometimes motivation) to explore...

I think he would be much more miserable if we didn't find positive ways to make the travel work for us as a family.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:39 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,301 times
I'm sure it depends on how often too. For me when I was traveling frequently it was once a quarter for a week. Any more than that and it would be too much I think.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,726,618 times
My husband is a Mechanical Engineer and travels about 35%. When traveling he works 12-16 hour days. He doesn't love it, but he likes traveling. He's been to some incredible places that he hasn't had to pay for. So far he's been to China, Paris, Germany, Belgium, Costa Rica, Italy, Mexico, Canada, U.K. Plus, many different states within the U.S. He typically gets only one day to tour, but at least he gets the experience. The part he doesn't like as others have already stated, long hours, jet lag, time away from family.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM

61,624 posts, read 86,956,533 times
I do, because we have businesses in attractive places, and the company I work for is pretty generous. I am single, and don't mind to sleep in hotels and eat in restaurants. They always try to make our trips interesting - get vouchers to attractions, occasionally a massage, etc. For an extended stay they will pay family/SO to visit over weekend.
What not to love

Old 04-26-2017, 01:07 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,295,712 times
Been there done that. Business travel within US sucks as compared to other countries. This primarily is due to the fact that no matter what status you have in an airline, you are stuck with an outdated plane, crappy service & flight attendants and overcrowded airports. Even the car rentals are getting rid of nice upgrade perks that used to be common back in they days. Most of the clients now want you to use UBER if traveling to a major city.

Majority of the hotels in US are outdated and have lobby / carpeting renovated only. The expensive hotels are out of budget for the clients to reimburse. These perks might be good if we were in 70s-80's but majority of the infrastructure is outdated whether it is the airlines or hotels. Only the rental cars are new but thats simply not enough... The concept of business class is a giant office seat in the front of the plane and priority boarding but then too one has to queue upfront in advance prior to boarding or some jerk with 2 hand carry bags will take over all of the over head space above your seat. For refreshments, its the same iced down soda in a glass instead of plastic cup and some salad or stale wrap. If you are drinker then you might enjoy free drinks but if you are not then you are out of luck.

At the end of the day, the airline miles, hotel status and rent a car points are not worth it to be away from family on week days. Now if you get to travel overseas to Europe or Asia and your company has a policy of reimbursing for business class ticket then it is a different experience. I used to travel to Asia, Europe and Middle east for work. That was truly a unique traveling experience and thats the reason I don't want to travel locally within US unless I really have to for work.

Now if you are one of those people who have access to your company's private jet and little more limit on your hotel budget and car expenses then I believe traveling will be lot more fun within US.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,025,530 times
I use to really enjoy traveling on business but it has been years and years since I have done any. I heard they don't let you smoke anymore but as long as those fine looking stewardesses will bring me a pillow and a blanket and a nice Old Fashioned along with my tasty in-flight dinner I don't think it can be too bad.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,604,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
A friend of mine has to travel to Ohio every month. He works in the manufacture sector, so it's easy to imagine how boring his destinations are.

But things could be worse. What about refineries and chemical plants? Purely disgusting!
Yeah, I'd only want to do oil and gas if I was working offshore and had a 28 on/28 days off schedule. Refineries would be pretty dreadful.

For a good portion of last year I had a political merchandise business and was just following around the Trump rally circuit. I'd say 90% of the towns he had rallies in I had no interest in visiting. Did Ohio a lot. Good money, but horrible as far as travelling goes. Was driving close to 10,000 miles per month for a while. Didn't have time to see much of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel